· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default bmtoups' 30 gallon journal

0 Not allowed!
    Current setup:
    30 gal fresh water (established for about 10 years)
    Tetra Whisper 30 power filter (original)
    Tetra Whisper Air Pump for up to 40 gal (purchased recently)
    12" bubble wall air stone (purchased recently)
    AquaTop 300 w heater (purchased recently to replace broken heater)

Current stock:
    1 - 7" inch common pleco
    4 - red-tailed male guppies
    2 - small angel fish

Some history:
    This setup was given to me about 6 months ago from my father in law. He's had the tank for about 10 years and it had about 20 red tailed guppies and a 7 inch long common pleco at the time. He told me to feed them daily, change the filter monthly, and every six months siphon out 2/3's of the water, cleaning the gravel at the same time.

About 2 weeks ago I brought about 40 guppies to the LFS and kept only the 4 males listed about. I bought 3 angel fish at the time (1 medium size and 2 small). A few days later I did a 75% water change and major cleaning to the gravel. I then noticed the medium size angel fish doing poorly and I returned him to the store. They tested the water and said my PH was low. So I added the recommended PH up to the tank and the remaining fish are doing fine. I have since done a lot of reading on this forum and realize I need to change what I'm doing.

Plan:
    I know that the tank is too small for a large pleco. I plan to do this within the next 6 months as money allows. I also know that I need to change the water more frequently than every 6 months and my plan is to do 50% weekly changes. I'd like to add another dozen or so fish of maybe 1 or 2 different species. Not sure what tho. I'd like a variety of fish to make it more interesting. Right now I only have 2 rocks and no plants (mostly because the pleco would knock over and move the plants around). I want to do something completely different with much larger rocks and fake plants attached to the rocks. There's really no where for the fish to hide right now.

I'll try and add so pics tonight as some before shots. And then update this thread as I upgrade and add to the aquarium. I'm a complete beginner and would like any advice you could offer.

Thanks in advance.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like your off to a good start correcting problems from your inherited tank.

If you haven't already, you should invest in an API liquid water test kit so you can keep tabs on your ammonia, nitrates, nitrites and ph. You want to test occasionally, even in an established tank, to make certain you don't have any ammonia, nitrite or nitrate spikes. You're striving for a constant 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite reading and nitrates of under 20. As for PH - I'm guessing you probably didn't need to make any adjustments to your tank unless the PH was off the charts low. Most fish can adapt to a high or low PH as long as it remains stable. And once you start adding ph adjusters, you can run into problems trying to maintain a stable level.

50% weekly water changes are great. Good for you.

As for the pleco: You might be surprised to find that your local fish store would be happy to take the pleco off your hands for you. You probably won't get any money for him but they may be able to rehome him with someone who has a tank large enough to accommodate him.
    A good replacement for him would be a bristle nose pleco which stays much smaller.

As for schools - when I first started I wanted a lot of variety too and found out soon that wasn't necessarily the best choice. Many fish are much happier in schools and 1 or 2 nice sized schools can be every bit as dramatic as a hodge podge of different fish. There are a lot of different species that would go well in your 30 gallon. Colombian Tetra, Serpae Tetra, cherry barbs ... a huge list that I'm sure others will contribute suggestions to.

You are going to run into trouble with the 2 angels. A 30 gallon is only big enough for 1 angel so you might want to consider returning one of them to the LFS soon. Additionally, unless they end up being a mated pair, most likely there will be aggression and fighting between them down the road which is not going to be pretty. If you had a larger tank, then it might be worth trying the 2 of them but, again, the 30 is just too small.

again, good luck and I'm sure others will chime in. looking forward to photos.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Fishmommie. Yes, I will be getting a liquid test kit soon. So far I've had the LFS do a test for me. I would love to adopt out the large pleco I have. But, my fiance absolutely loves it for some reason. And I'm going to use the pleco as the excuse for a larger tank soon.

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    And this lucky guy get to buy his fish from one of the best and biggest freshwater stores in the country; The wet spot right there in Portland!!

Welcome to the forum bmtoups, if I didn't say it already.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtoups
    Thanks Fishmommie. Yes, I will be getting a liquid test kit soon. So far I've had the LFS do a test for me. I would love to adopt out the large pleco I have. But, my fiance absolutely loves it for some reason. And I'm going to use the pleco as the excuse for a larger tank soon.
    Good for you!!! Go big or go home
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler1
    And this lucky guy get to buy his fish from one of the best and biggest freshwater stores in the country; The wet spot right there in Portland!!

Welcome to the forum bmtoups, if I didn't say it already.
    This may be the single most important post I've read so far. I didn't know about the Wet Spot. One warning tho is that www.thewetspot.com is NOT their website. LOL

I'm really excited to check out this LFS. Thank you.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I didn't know about the Wet Spot. One warning tho is that www.thewetspot.com is NOT their website. LOL
    OMG - I don't even want to know ...

Awards Showcase

For your AC tank! - Northernguy Nice job on the tank! - Brookfish I sure hope this helps! lol Good luck! - Northernguy congrats on the fish - Lab_Rat This is a lucky Neon! - Northernguy 
    Such a good fish Mommy! lol - Northernguy Congrats on your award! - Brookfish Sorry about your Guppy! - Brookfish i hope the guppies are okay :) - Demi ^_^ this is a guppy? lol - domjd05 
    Happy B-Day :) - Agassizii Happy Birthday =D - Aeonflame Happy Birthday! - Brookfish for an excellent post - Lab_Rat thanks for the gift XD - genocidex 
    This makes 2, 8 to go! - homemadepopcorn thanks so much for coming to my aid! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    One warning tho is that www.thewetspot.com is NOT their website. LOL
    Just laughed so hard.

Good luck with your tank!
    29 Gallon Tank : planted. stock: 2 GBR, 13 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 otocinclus, bn pleco
    Journal

6.6 Fluval Chi: planted. stock: 1 male halfmoon betta
    Journal

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Good one LOL .

Heres the real website, everybody should at least check out their awesome selection.

www.wetspottropicalfish.com/
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As promised, here's pictures of my tank and fish. You can see how small the angels are and how large the pleco is. I'm hoping the 2 angels will get along and be fine in this 30 gallon tank until I'm able to get a larger one. They seem really happy and swim together most of the time. Would the pleco be okay in a 55 gallon? That's the size I'm considering upgrading to. You can also how minimum my decorations are. I do plan to add more stuff soon. I'm thinking of a combination of rock and driftwood.
    Attached Images Attached Images