· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Employee vs Employer

0 Not allowed!
    So, what can an employee do if their employer does not follow certain work laws?

Just curious as I think my employer does not really pay the mandatory holiday pay, neither does he follow the rules about breaks (paid/unpaid).
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure on your industrial laws, but suggest you google to see what your entitlements should be under your state/national legislation. If you discover what you are getting is not correct, then you need to decide if you want to make it an issue and get it corrected, or find a job where you are accorded the correct rates

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    If its a larger company then I'm sure they will have a Personnel welfare co-ordinator. They are the best folks to talk to
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    You have the right to file a complaint with the Alberta Employment Standards Branch assuming you are not a part of a trade union. If you can prove your claims, they will give your employer a court order to correct the mistakes in pay and possibility fines for not following the Alberta employment standards act.

http://humanservices.alberta.ca/work...erta/1224.html
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    What cliff said and The employer may not take action towards you either. This is all based on you not being in a Union enviroment. Canadian employment equity laws have more force than any Union. I simple letter will get the ball rolling. Good Luck!
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.
    If your not angry, your not paying attention...
    150G Cube FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Bichers/Gourami) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby/Seahorse's/Garden Eels)
    10G Fresh (Beta)
    2 x 29G Breeders (cycling) to be ready for January 15

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It really depends on what industry you work in. Some types of work (telecommunications, restaurants) are not required to give employees "coffee breaks" (breaks before & after lunch), nor are they required to give you time away from your desk to eat lunch (they do have to let you eat at your desk however...) This sounds weird I know, but rules for these industries are managed federally and not provincially.

best to check with your provincial labour board. They are the best place to start because they'll know, first of all, if you need to be referred to the federal counterpart. Contact them by phone if you can-- they are very helpful.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I do work in a quick service restaurant as a line cook. As of now, I am trying to talk my way to the owner but he seems like he doesn't care what I'm telling him.

I will see first if anything changes on the following weeks before doing any complaints.

oh, scotti, it is a restaurant chain alright, but we don't have an HR, we don't even have a manager. The owner is really really cheap (or conservative), however you call it. He doesn't even pay overtime right. He waits until you exceed 44 hours a week then he pays overtime, not when you exceed 8 hours a day.
    Last edited by pjaldave; 11-13-2012 at 05:58 PM.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey Pjaldave,

Yes, very important to check with your provincial labour board. The reason is that rules are different for each province. In Quebec (where I'm from) an employer has to pay overtime when exceeding 40 hrs/week, but does not have to pay overtime for exceeding 8 hrs/day-- only the weekly hour count needs to be considered.

Please check with them. It will help you decide if you can do something about it, or if you should change jobs.