· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Deficiency in Low Tech Tank? Could it be Phosphates?

0 Not allowed!
    My 120 litre tank is a low tech set-up. I dose 2ml of EasyCarbo and Sera Flore Day Drops each morning, it's fertilised once a week with Sera Florena liquid (after a water change) and I use root tabs. No CO2 and low level lighting at only 1 watt per gallon (I cannot change this due to the constraints of the fitted tank hood).

Anyhoo, since it was set up in March this year all the plants have done well...amazing considering they'd been growing in coral substrate.

Here's how it looked - note the large, healthy size of the alternanthera (the pinkish plant on the left) which doubled in size over a few months after purchase:

All was well until I changed fertiliser. I don't know if this was the cause, I think it might be a coincidence, but I would like your opinions please.

I purchased Tropica fertiliser (an old batch I got a deal on) from my LFS. It seemed that as soon as I started using it my plants started getting yellowing leaves (noticeable on the crypts and on my alternanthera). It just got worse and worse over the weeks and the alternanthera was badly hit. I was dosing the exact amount per litre as on the instructions and nothing else in the routine was changed.

Here's an example of the problem on the alternanthera. It has grown very thin. Leaves go transparent, ragged, holy and fall off.

The other plants seem to be better, than they were, now but the alternanthera still looks poor. I've taken cuttings to grow on in case the main body plant dies off.

I have, this weekend changed the substrate (which I had been planning for some time anyway) so hopefully this will help, and I've bought some more Sera Florena to see if reverting back to that will help them recover. Talking to my LFS, they were surprised by the die back and suggested that it might not be the Tropica causing it, but that the phosphates might have become depleted in the tank. They said this fits with the symptoms...which I agree seems legitimate.

Here's a rough snap of the new look tank.

Are these symptoms common with phosphate deficiency in your experience and how do you correct it? My fertilisers don't contain phosphates so it could be that?

Should I get a test kit? Any recommendations?

Any advice appreciated.

0 Not allowed!
    You could try a fert with phosphates in it as well as getting a phosphate test kit yo make sure the levels don't get high enough to feed any algae.

It does look like your plants do need more phosphates. I always use a chart like the below. Another member posted it here a while back, I just can remember who.

If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, yes I've seen that picture before somewhere...very handy. Right, I'll get a test kit if I can find one and see what that brings up.

Where do phosphates come from? I.e. where had the plants been getting it from until now?

0 Not allowed!
    Mostly from fish food and I beleive fish waste as well. I would guess your plants have been slowly using up the phosphates and most likely grew to the point were the demand out-grew the phosphates being produced. Your test results should confirm that tho.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, this is what I suspected but it's reassuring to have someone else confirm it so I'll buy the test kit now (found one on Amazon). Many thanks!

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    While ordering, get an iron kit too! That one is also a tricky level to control (high levels can harm fish.)

0 Not allowed!
    Woah, I just had a look but they're a bit pricy (3 times the cost of the other test kit)!

Until I think I might have an iron problem I might have to leave it I'm afraid.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    By the way, really nice tank!

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks!

Right, I have now tested for phosphates. Guess what? There are zero phosphates in the water. Nothing at all! So I'm fairly sure that's what the problem is.

According to the leaflet I should have <1 so can anyone advise me how to add a bit to help my plants? What do I need to buy to add?

Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    Can anyone advise me? All I can find online is how to remove phosphates, not add them.