· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Protecting cory eggs in a hostile tank?

0 Not allowed!
    My albino corries had eggs a while back, and none made it. So now she is laying eggs again (actively doing it now). Its in a community tank with guppies, a frog, Chinese algae eaters and a few shrimp. There are also many tiny junk snails.

Last time fungus got everything eventually including some that partially developed. The junk snails ate many too. I used a tank divider to separate some last time but that didn't stop the snails. I took some out last time into a bucket with air (a little current from the air but not near enough I think).

I do not know if any will be easily removable this time (I should know soon). The tank had 1 small unknown tetra overhang filter. It now has that and an aqueon 5-15 overhang, both on the right hand side of the tank which is where most of the eggs are so far. One filter is on the front and one on the rear (I had planned on establishing bacteria in the 5-15 and then replacing the smaller one with it). Some of the eggs are on the intake tube of the new 5-15 filter but if I remove it to get eggs out that tank will loose that water flow.

I can not find methylene blue locally. I got some tetra contra bac off ebay which has methylene blue as a main ingredient but it turned out to be 20 years old. The guppies already went after the eggs (so I feed them to distract them). I learned you can put fish food in a salt shaker or similar to trap the snails (it worked). So I can overfeed a little to keep the fish and snails off the eggs (I think), but how much and how long can I get away with that and not cause other problems?

Is there anything I can do to help protect the eggs I can not remove from the tank (from fish or fungus), or keep fungus off any eggs I can remove? I have a 10 gal I can use and an emperor 280 filter (280 gph?) for lots of water flow in that. Any other suggestions? Should I risk trying the old medication on eggs that are sperated (does it go bad, it only had a coded production date, not an expiration date)? I wouldn't want to risk the old meds in a tank with fish in it. I was almost thinking if I can get 2 groups of eggs out, the 10 gal with no meds, and a bucket with meds.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    don't use the old stuff, who knows what it's doing.

You're really going to need a separate tank to protect the eggs and later the fry (which are tiny and defenseless). I use a 10g tank for that, and you have one too so that's what I'd do. I've prevented fungus using both current flow with no methylene blue, and I've done it with methylene blue too. That filter you have might be overkill for current. I'd pick up a smaller filter like an aquaclear 20 if you have a few bucks you're willing to spend on this. A heater would be good too if you don't have one, and a bit of sand for substrate.

You can remove the eggs by carefully rolling them off whatever they're stuck to with your fingers. I make sure they never come out of the water when they're being transferred... not sure if that's strictly required but I think I read somewhere that it's a good idea. If you can stick them to a rock or some other decor under the filter output that should keep the fungus at bay. They'll turn sort of a clear amber color in a day or so if they're fertilized or remain milky white if they're not. They'll hatch in 2-4 days, after which time the fry will feed off their egg sacs for a day or two and then need food. Crushed up pellets have worked for me.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    Fry nets if you can somehow manage. You can also cover the top of it to prevent fungus. The only solution I can think of. Just use a razor blade to move the eggs to another tank if you want all of them to survive.

EDIT: Man I hate slow internet. Ninj'ad by Brhino.
    I tested 97% positive for Multiple Tank Syndrome
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Cory Catfish
    King of the Virtual [Cory] Catfish

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A heater, air and gravel is not a problem. I have some sand and gravel mixed (came with a used tank) that I can check out. I tested the emperor 280 and a emperor 400 in the 10 gal when I got them used. I think it could handle it but I'll check it out again. If it seems to violent, I have a 125gph power head if I can dig up the parts to rig it up somehow (no under gravel filter to use). I'm not even sure what a fry net is (do you mean a finer fabric net to catch and remove the fry, if so I think I have one). There are plants they can hid in if they survive long enough, though the plant growth at the bottom is much less (about 1/3 of the tank is overgrown with wisteria but I leave it as the fish like it). Its actually been a liability as the guppies are breeding out of control and so many are surviving due to the wisteria.

I'm a little nervous about removing them from the glass. If a few survive to be adults (3-4 would be nice) I would be happy and so would my 5 year old (he has named the corys and was rather disappointed last time when the eggs didn't make it). I was thinking of removing any on movable objects if any and leaving the rest. Hopefully some survive in or out of the tank. I'll have to see how many get laid on movable objects.

So how long do they lay eggs for (I want to leave them alone till done, then I will try removing some)?

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    not exactly sure... several minutes but probably less than half an hour. In my tank cory eggs will get eaten within minutes of being laid, so if I see any I want to save I have to act immediately. Sometimes they only time I know they've spawned is when I see a platy swimming around with an egg stuck to her lip. I did pretty well a couple weeks ago, managed to save 20-30 eggs.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It seems to be going a lot slower for me. Maybe 2 hours and I'm still seeing new eggs appear. Near the beginning (I just happened to notice a small cluster of eggs on the filter tube and I think they were just getting started), the guppies started going after the eggs right away. I immediately feed them (a lot). They are leaving them alone for the moment. I almost wonder if the cories took a meal break and that is why spawning is taking so long, lol. A few snails are coming out onto the glass so they may be sniffing around for eggs.

There is a small ceramic house with more than a dozen eggs (and more appearing) that can be easily removed. Thats actually what I removed last time. Getting it out without the eggs touching air might be a bit challenging, but I can manage it.

The 10 gal is setup with heat, air, and the emperor 280 (no gravel or sand yet). The flow is a bit strong across the surface but nothing violent. I'm thinking I'll leave it till closer to when they eggs are ready to hatch, then switch to something smaller. I placed a filter bag over the intake so fry can not get sucked in if I miss them hatching.

Are there any chemicals I might want to put into it to help? I used prime (lots as the water here has a lot of chlorine). I have kordon rid-ich (formaline and zink free malachite green), api super ick cure (benzaldehyde green which I think is malakite green), ap quick cure (formaline, malakite green), api quick start, tetra aqua safe plus, maracyne 1 and 2, and somewhere floating around I have a box of jungle fungus tablets (still trying to find the ingredients on it).

Snails are going after the eggs so I guess I have to hurry.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I got the small house out and into the tank (with a thin layer of black sand and a little brown gravel). A guppy fry took a ride and seems to be able to maneuver the current. A snail took a ride too, but I enticed him out with the snail trap (fish food in a boot shaped shot glass) and got him out. The guppies are going after the rest of the eggs. I may try to get some off the glass and into a fish bowl with a little medication so the 10 gal with strong current, not meds and the fish bowl with meds but only air for current (last container I have unless I use a bucket, its a smallish tetra betta bowl).

Its a long shot, but I may be able to get a uv sterilizer on the 10 gal eventually (its a huge 25 watt emperor aquatics smart uv that has never been used, not sure I even have the stuff to hook it up). I'm not sure if I could get it setup in time to matter. That might just kill any fungus in the water with extreme prejudice. I could just use a small power head for a low flow (I'll have to see what the minimum flow is as I wouldn't want to over heat it).

0 Not allowed!
    You can use hydrogen peroxide instead of methylene blue which is readily available at pharmacies. Check this thread where I received some very good advice from Indian Woods Angels.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=98804

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have very little confidence in the 2 in bowls but I guess it won't hurt to try. There are lots of eggs in the tank but every thing in the tank thinks its a big buffet. The corries seem to be trying to protect some so well see if they succeed. There are a dozen or more on a small ceramic house in a separate heated 10 gal tank with lots of water flow (no meds). I have one fish bowl with maybe half a dozen eggs scraped off the glass and tetra contra bac (methylene blue, the old stuff, and boy it doesn't look right). I have maybe half a dozen in a second fish bowl with 1ml per gal hydrogen peroxide. The fish bowls have no heat though the room is usually in the mid 70's. The fish bowls have no circulation (a tiny bit of air). I will try to dig up another air pump and some stones for the bowls tomorrow. All eggs were removed and moved without touching air. If any in the main tank hatch and make it to the plants, they have plenty of cover for hiding.

I'll just have to hope for the best. If I could get even 3-4 to hatch and grow to adults it would be nice (its not the cost of getting 3-4 fish, its the experience of raising the baby corries for my 5 year old). He has the 3 cory adults named and can tell them apart (unlike the rest of the fish).

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So how much hydrogen peroxide to use? The 10 gal has fungus on some eggs that showed up today. That other thread said 1 capfull for 2.5 gal (how much is a cap full, are they all the same size)? I read searching one person recommend 1ml per gal. I filled a cap to compare and a cap full was about 5.5 ml. I only added the 1ml per gal or about 2 cap fulls (about half what was recommended in the thread that was linked to here). Is that going to be enough? Fyi it seems like the unfertilized eggs are the ones getting fungus. I removed any that were obvious (though I think 1 may have started to infect a whole cluster). The eggs left in the main tank look fine but almost all are gone (eaten).

Is there any other care I can give to control the fungus?