· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Aquaclear 50 or 70 to replace Aqueon 55

0 Not allowed!
    Hi All - Looking for Aquaclear users. I am possibly looking to replace my aqueon55 HOB with something else. It's noisy! (like a coffee grinder) and I don't care for the filtration cartridges all that much.

The Aqueon is now the secondary filter with the Rena XP3 for the workhorse on my 55g. How do you like your Aquaclear units? Are they quiet? I have a few weeks to decide which one to get because I am still seeding the Rena.

Should I do the 70 or 50 since this is the secondary?
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

0 Not allowed!
    I have always liked aquaclear filters, the best HOB filter out there IMO. Easy to clean, don't make a lot is noise, and last forever.

I would suggest the AC70.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Cliff! I figured the 70 would be the way to go. Makes more sense too with my new set up. I am really happy with the Rena.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've owned my AC 50 for about 8 years. Used it consistenly for about 6 years and just recently started using it again after leaving the hobby for about 1.5 years. It's still as quiet and works like a charm. I use Aqua Chargers as bio media.

Oh as for size, get what you can afford - the bigger the better obviously.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear it's all coming together well. I agree on the Aquaclear 70, Aquaclear is a workhorse but not always Quiet it seems hit or miss but it will run for years. Hagen also has a new HOB the C-Series Fluval I have one and love it in this case the C4 would be the best. I think the mechnical filtration is much better even though the GPH is lower. Plenty of room also.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The problem I have with the Aqua Clears is that the pickup tube isn't long enough on the ones I used in the past. To be effective the pickup tube or, inlet tube, should reach the lower-third of the tank. For example the new 55 I setup three months ago runs an Aqueon 50(I know,it's minimal but, it was the biggest one they had at the time) and the inlet tube reaches the bottom third. I looked at an Aqua-Clear 70 I believe it was but, the inlet-tube would only reach halfway down(My 55 is 21" tall). I'm currently waiting on an Aqueon 55/75 I ordered. I don't like the Gimmick Bio-Wheel types.

If I run into the noise problems you speak of, I'll try the Whisper 70.

0 Not allowed!
    You can always put an extension on the intake tube to move it as near the the bottom of the tank as you want. That's the beauty of an aquaclear filter..they're just so versatile.

I believe all aquaclear filters come with two intake tubes. Cut the screen off the bottom of the extra intake tube and cut the tube to desired length and you can lower the intake as needed.
    Last edited by Taurus; 11-15-2012 at 09:27 PM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    All this talk about the distance the intake tube goes. Is there a reason to have it nearly reaching the bottom? Mine only goes about have way, I don't have any issues.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

0 Not allowed!
    Sure, The farther away from the output of the filter the better.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    mrramsey, are you sure that coffee-grinder noise you hear isn't Cavitation? You may just have a problem with that particular pump.