· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default DIY 3D backgroud

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, I have decided to make a 3d background! I already did a lot of research into this. Here is the picture of what I am at so far:
    IMG_20150513_195411.jpg

As you can see I have already to attach the drift woods together into a larger piece! And the stones in the background still need cement coding. I am looking for a paint that I can use to to paint over the drift wood and make them all the same colour. I have already looked into drylok latex base paint. But they have limited colours as you can only use the colours that are for cement (ony 3). Also, they are like 50$+ here in Toronto. Is there a cheaper alternative? I went to homedepot and they have epoxy + acrylic mix paint, I don't want to risk using that paint, as its uncertified and I have never heard of anyone using it for aquarium. Kryon fusion doesn't work either as its specific for plastic! Its better if its waterproof as I want to prevent the PH of the cement from infecting the water. Anyone have suggestions?

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.T.!....cheers! - Slaphppy7 For a fellow tetra lover ;-) - steeler58 For the new fish ;-) - steeler58 Here's to new fish and shrimp ;-) - steeler58 Sorry about your Cat I hope she/he rallies - steeler58 
    Thanks for all the thumbs up ;-) - steeler58 So sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 T.G.I.F. - Slaphppy7 New gifts show still show up : ) - mommy1 Thanks for the help! Cheers! - BluewaterBoof 

2 Not allowed!
    You can use any acrylic paint/latex paint so long as you mix it in with the Drylok (as a pigment). When I did my background I used both cement pigment as well as some acrylic paint to color the white Drylok. No paint with mold inhibitors or other additives (glitter, metallic colors) and no oil based paints. Otherwise acrylic and latex paints are fine-the Drylok just makes it waterproof.

Have fun, I know I did with my background.

2014-10-12 18.12.34.jpg

By the way love how you altered the DW and made a cave.
    Last edited by Boundava; 05-14-2015 at 01:46 PM.
    75g. heavily planted/CO2 w/ DW. Stock: tetra, gourami, cory, oto, loach, threadfin, pleco, shrimp, and nerite/mystery/mts/assassin snails
    5g. planted w/DW, and female betta
    5g. pending tear down
    10g. CYCLED!!! Orange shrimp, and Chili rasboras
    20L CYCLED!!! Blue Pearl Shrimp, Epsei and CPD

My 75g:
    My 10/20Lshrimp tank:

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You see drylok here in toronto is really expensive! Will I be able to get away with 2 part epoxy/acrylic paint? Or perhaps can I use 100% acrylic paint and clear code it with epoxy?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Can I use 100% acrylic paint and then code the paint with clear code kryon fusion paint?
    Last edited by mrdoc; 05-14-2015 at 05:03 PM.

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.T.!....cheers! - Slaphppy7 For a fellow tetra lover ;-) - steeler58 For the new fish ;-) - steeler58 Here's to new fish and shrimp ;-) - steeler58 Sorry about your Cat I hope she/he rallies - steeler58 
    Thanks for all the thumbs up ;-) - steeler58 So sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 T.G.I.F. - Slaphppy7 New gifts show still show up : ) - mommy1 Thanks for the help! Cheers! - BluewaterBoof 

2 Not allowed!
    So long as the epoxy is water based then yes. You need to make sure all of your paint layers are dry before you coat with epoxy, and then you need to coat the whole thing with epoxy to make it water tight, and probably will need a couple layers of the epoxy-unless it specifically states it is a waterproof (versus water resistant) epoxy.

I went with Drylok because the only epoxy I could find that was truly waterproof was a pond epoxy and that was 4 times the cost of the Drylok. Just make sure you give at least 24 hours dry between paint coats and epoxy coats too-maybe even 36 hours. And for your final coat I would give a cure time of 7-11 days just to make sure it is 100% dry and inert.

Sorry if I am making this basic, or being too specific. I just am not sure what knowledge you already have on it. When I was looking for answers with my DIY I often left forums with more questions than I had asked-and never gotten any direct answers from people. Which is why I love the AC, everyone is so helpful and answer your questions directly
    Last edited by Boundava; 05-14-2015 at 05:07 PM.
    75g. heavily planted/CO2 w/ DW. Stock: tetra, gourami, cory, oto, loach, threadfin, pleco, shrimp, and nerite/mystery/mts/assassin snails
    5g. pending tear down

My 75g:
    My 10/20Lshrimp tank:

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No I actually appreciate your reply! You got no idea how many hours I spent researching the paint!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I researched about 6 months on and off for ideas and products and methods. Made some calls to manufacturers to make sure the stuff was going to be safe, or what cure time was before I finally got up the nerve to do it. I honestly had so much fin putting it together I am planning on making another one this summer.
    5g. pending tear down

My 75g:
    My 10/20Lshrimp tank:

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Not much to add, but did you check the forum of DIYfishkeepers ??? A lot of ideas and experiences !!!
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly 
    TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie Merry Christmas - steeler58 Merry Christmas - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info - I just joined that forum. Lots of good DIY info.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    75 gal - Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras, Peacock Gudgeons
    Future 40 Long - Panda Garras & Glowlight Danios

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Very cool look. Seems very interesting.
    36 GAL South American Journal

"Be sure you're right, then go ahead."