· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alot of good info here. This is my first experience with live plants and (knock on wood) all is going well. I just used the small gravel and it works well. I have 6 swords and a couple of Java Ferns. The plants are the easiest part so far but I may need to upgrade lighting just to be on the safe side.
    55 Gallon community tank that is probably a bit overstocked....dont judge me

2. Default Multiple Filtration

0 Not allowed!
    I realize that some people think that 2 HOB's is overkill. Since I've added my 2nd filter I've been thrilled w/ my water quality and the clarity. If you can add a 2nd filter definitely do it.

What kind of cories would you be looking at?

0 Not allowed!
    I realize that some people think that 2 HOB's is overkill. Since I've added my 2nd filter I've been thrilled w/ my water quality and the clarity
    Clarity has nothing to do with your water quality and achieving clear water doesn't require 2 AC 50s on a 20g.

An AC50 is perfectly acceptable for a 20g tank IMO as long as it is not heavily stocked, If you want some extra filtration get a sponge filter. It's so quick/easy to do WC that wasting the power for minimal gains considering the stock likely to be kept in a 20 doesn't seem worth it to me.
    YMMV

What kind of cories would you be looking at?
    IMO going with a dwarf variety [C. Habrosus or C. Pygmaeus] would be fine although I agree that larger types are not suitable for a 20g tank.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 11-13-2012 at 07:11 PM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Clarity has nothing to do with your water quality and achieving clear water doesn't require 2 AC 50s on a 20g.
    True, true, true

Having "crystal clear water" doesn't mean your parameters are good - it just means there's nothing floating in it that you can see.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I understand that water clarity has nothing to do with water parameters which is why I said my parameters were good first, master test kit tested and all. Water clarity was an added bonus in my book.

0 Not allowed!
    Good to hear, Just pointing it out for the benefit of people that do not have that understanding.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the suggestions I'm starting with a java fern attached to drift wood. The tank is still cycling and I'm planning to add another java and some sword grass before its done. The only place I've been able to find corys is the local Pet co and they are just albino corys not sure what species they are. Are albinos a good idea or should I find a different fish for the bottom that would work well with the tetra?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Limming
    Thanks for the suggestions I'm starting with a java fern attached to drift wood. The tank is still cycling and I'm planning to add another java and some sword grass before its done. The only place I've been able to find corys is the local Pet co and they are just albino corys not sure what species they are. Are albinos a good idea or should I find a different fish for the bottom that would work well with the tetra?
    There are no differences between different species of Cories except their colours basically, so it's really a matter of personal preference. If you like them in white then i don't see why not.

As for plants, and rooted plants like Ferns etc will need some sort of supplement of food since you have not chosen a specially prepared subsrtate tha feed plants. You can buy root tabs dirt cheap and just push them into the gravel at certain points around the plants and they can get food that way. But it will not be as effective as a good planted substrate. The plants may look fine now, but might start to wilt as time goes on.
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Is there a good way for me to mix the gravel with a good substrate or will I need to replace it all together?

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Just get rid of the old gravel - it is easier and better in the long run.