· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: DYI Cave

Default DYI Cave

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so I'm starting a PVC/Rock cave and have a few questions:

I want to spray paint the pipe black to start with (Krylon Fusion Flat Black)

But I am not sure what to use to stick the rocks I'm using to it. Have seen a ton of different "yes it work" "no its toxic" all over and not sure who to believe. Seen people have done this on here so thought I'd ask what you used. Also, I would prefer it something I can pick up in a local store (walmart, home depot etc)

Any other thoughts on different rocks etc would be awesome (i am planning on testing some rocks I got at work today to see there effect on PH later tonight)
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A bunch of ge silicone 1 (windows and doors) without the mildew guard.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 11-09-2012 at 06:47 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    question then... I've heard things about the GE II (black) and anything that has the mildew resistence in it, however just got back from the store, and unless i want to pay almost $5 /oz for aquarium silicone i had to get the GE II. It does say 100% silicone "Window/Door/Attic/Basement"

**Nevermind - going to return the GE, found that the HD near me has DAP Aquarium Sealant for $1 more
    Last edited by Triton; 11-09-2012 at 07:07 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    So after looking around local stores I found the DAP aquarium safe silicone for $4.50 for a 2.8oz tube. Picked up a $5 can of satin black Krylon Fusion Spray Paint. And the pvc and rock came from work

After cutting and sanding with a dremel tool, i did about 4 coats of Krylon and started applying rock

Attached a few plants, and I am now waiting for the silicone to cure (2 days),

My only concern is that I tried the vinegar test and 1 rock fail (which I tossed) but the rest didn't seem to react at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    That looks real good, natural looking. Like the fact that after it was done it didn't look like a piece of pipe in the tank.

0 Not allowed!
    That was my primary concern, I have seen others online that you could still see the pipe shape, or that were perfectly round, I think those are ok, but only if they will be buried in plants etc, mine is going to be partially buried in the substrate, but other than that will be visible

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Northernguy A recruit for your piggy army - MuckyFish Piggy Sentry for your Piggy Army hopefully they help you not lose brakes. - MuckyFish beer for the birthday boy - Lady Hobbs For it’s medicinal properties, cheers and get well soon - Cliff 
    thank you - Indian Woods Angels Hammy Holidays to you! - Trillianne Have a great christmas gadget - Cliff Have a Christmas coral - Aeonflame Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    For the birthday thread. Thanks. - Strider199 Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year! - Rue Here comes the holiday swine, who hopes your holidays were divine! - Trillianne 
    Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thank you! Second round is on me : ) - mommy1 Thanks for spicing up the ban game! - pRED 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - gadget228 Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - gadget228 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gadget228 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - gadget228 Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus -  Animal Cruelty - gadget228 
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - gadget228 Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - gadget228 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    Nicely done, Looks great...
    You're getting old when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair that you once got from a roller coaster.

0 Not allowed!
    Nicely done. It looks very natural
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]