· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default need some advice on fish numbers/types

1 Not allowed!
    hey everyone, i'm new here and new to keeping fish.
    i basically inherited an aquarium of 15 gallons from somebody who decided to get it, start it and then soon realised it's not for them. so i quickly offered to get it off their hands. i always wanted an aquarium but never actually got one, so this was perfect chance

anyway, the aquarium has the following fish:
    - 5 hawaii variatus platy - there were 6 initially but one somehow got hurt and then the others were picking on it, it eventually died :(
    - 6 guppies (3 assorted males, 3 mixed - no idea if they are males or females these last 3)
    - 2 dwarf blue gourami

i read about keeping fish a lot in these past days, and i think i am armed with quite a lot of information.
    but i'd like to ask if these fish are too many for this size tank? they are all small fish like max 2.5 cm in length except for the gouramis which are a bit longer and taller.
    is there room to add anything else, if i ever want to? the guy at the fish shop says i could add some more and recommended some (i.e. the bristlenose catfish) but i'm afraid he just wanted to make a sale.

and also do these fish mix well with each other? the guppies seem to chase the platies sometimes, while the gouramis seem to prefer to stay hidden most of the times in the "bushes"

can i get some opinions from you guys please? thanks in advance!
    Alex
    Last edited by alex.mares; 01-04-2019 at 03:49 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Hi Alex and welcome to the AC!

The platy and guppy are both livebearers, so if you do have both genders in this tank, you will have a population explosion. They can crossbreed with one another, so you will want to sex each of your livebearer fish.

Please have a look for a gonopodium on your known males, then compare to differentiate your other fish. Females won't have one. Females will have a fan (or triangle) shaped anal fin.

Here is an example for you to get started
    https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfis...ctures.169520/
    Last edited by RiversGirl; 01-04-2019 at 04:37 PM.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

2 Not allowed!
    Same advice here. The mixed guppies and platies will result in baby fish everywhere. If you haven't encountered the term "gonopodium" before, it's the fish equivalent of a penis and only the males have it.

You haven't indicated if your tank is cycled, what kind of filtration you are using, do you have a current liquid test kit, what are you feeding the fish, what is your maintenance routine? How frequently do you change the water, and do you siphon your substrate?

What dechlorinator brand are you using? Most of us here recommend Seachem's Prime, as it not only dechlorinates the water, but is a great water conditioner that can neutralize ammonia right after a water change in case there's a spike, and it help protect the fishes' slime coatings. If you have private well water that you know contains no chlorine or chloramines, you may not need it, but you can still use it and it has those other benefits.

Is your tank planted, or do you intend to plant it?

I would definitely try to determine the genders of your livebearers, and if you intend to breed them, you'll need to set up a separate tank for their fry. Parents and neighbors will eat the young.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your answers so far guys.
    I checked and it looks like all my guppies have gonopodiums. I knew that the platies have the same but didnt think guppies are similar, my bad.
    So i have 2 male and 3 females platies, and it looks that all guppies are male.
    The gouramis are male and female.

I dont intend to breed them, so what should i do then? Remove the platy females? I like those too, and i heard only male platies is not good either?

The tank is cycled. The filter it has came with the tank when he got it, not sure about capacity though but i've seen some similar ones given to 20 gallons tanks so i'm thinking it ahould be fine for 15.
    I don't have a liquid test yet but planning to get a master test kit soon.
    I only got it recently so only changed 25-30% of the water two times, at a week difference from each other.
    For declorinator i used Tetra Aquasafe. I didn't see Seachem around here, i am in Europe btw :)
    It's not planted, there are plastic plants inside it and some rocks/decorations.
    Not planning to plant it anytime soon, at least until i really get the hang of it anyway.

How about the current number of fish, which was my original question, is the tank overstocked? Can it support more, less?

Thanks,
    Alex

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Plug in the data here for a start: And off the top of my head I wouldn't add any more fish until you get your current stocking sorted out.

http://www.aqadvisor.com/

Last edited by Taurus; 01-04-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry, but can you detail a bit what you mean by getting it sorted out?
    I'll use that calculator as soon as i get my hands on a laptop, now using my mobile

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I think if you decide to keep male and female platies together you're going to be overwhelmed with off spring.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The thing is that everywhere i read about platies, even in the calculator you gave me, it recommends to keep at least 2 females for 1 male. Never saw anything saying keep only males, keep only females.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Well then you're going to have fry in the tank. It's not a matter of if but when so get ready for that. Probably not all of them will survive but it's easy for a fairly small tank like a 15 gallon to become over whelmed with live bearer fry. So adding additional fish to the tank is really not a good idea.

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...rus-maculatus/

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.mares View Post
    The thing is that everywhere i read about platies, even in the calculator you gave me, it recommends to keep at least 2 females for 1 male. Never saw anything saying keep only males, keep only females.
    I have no issues personally with keeping all male platy together, at all. I enjoy them as a part of my peaceful community tank.

The stocking estimate link that Taurus provided is a handy guide, but only a guide. The ratio from that stock estimating site is useful for a situation where you intend to keep female platy, (as males will harass her to death). You mentioned your guppies chasing some of your platies - I'd guess those are female platy that are already being chased about.

If I were you, I'd rehome all female livebearers. A population explosion in a tank your size is going to be problematic.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow