· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Danio with a hole

0 Not allowed!
    Alright @Rocksor I'm hoping you or someone else can advise... I have kept danios forever almost always had them somewhere. Today it happened. I have a female zebra danio that suddenly got the dreaded hole in the side that's somehow associated with egg retention. It happened today, like since the lights came on. I've heard and seen photos and never experienced it personally but recognized it immediately. Googling has proven fruitless as to helping them survive it just lots of people experiencing it. It's not contagious.

What exactly would you recommend for treatment to prevent a major bacterial infection considering its literally a hole to her insides? AND considering them as schooling fish if you do recommend segregation for treatment should I pull the whole school or just her? I have my Cories in my 20g QT and can put them somewhere so I can move as many as necessary. I wouldn't want her to keep holding without a male present but don't know if that is something I need to worry about considering the injury. Plus the whole comfort in numbers thing.

Meds I've got on hand today : meth blue, Paraguard, Metroplex, Kanaplex, focus, garlic, and maybe some Prazi... Epsom salt, standard salt (non iodized no non caking ingredients), Aaaannnnndddd I think that's it... It'll take likely too long to get anything else without starting a treatment today I'd assume simply to prevent infection. I can order something else to start in 4-6 days if what I have on hand is only enough to delay or slow and something better is recommended.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    my preference is kanaplex with methylene blue, but you can do kanaplex and paraguard.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    my preference is kanaplex with methylene blue, but you can do kanaplex and paraguard.
    I tossed some Paraguard for the time and have just been dosing that and leaving her in the main tank for now. As of now it's still just a hole, no redness or anything. I'll continue to watch daily and maybe throw a couple small water changes at the tank each week. The next morning she was fat up with eggs again so I'm really really hesitant to move her. I don't want her to hold anything. If I see any signs of infection either in her behavior or the wound I'll decide to leave or move her and add Kanaplex and if I move her I'll do MB also.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    She's actually healing up quite nicely now. Her side looks a bit pinched but the hole is healed over and I never had a bit of red appear. Well it seems I was a bit panicked for nothing. I've got the skillz to handle it with ease I suppose, that or I got lucky this time around.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Nice! Great job! Glad to hear it's healing :)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat