· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Constipated angelfish

1 Not allowed!
    One of my female angelfish in my 90g is showing swim bladder disorder problems. I noticed she is a bit bloated in the abdomen and seems to float tail up, struggling to stay nose down.

I put her in an acrylic breeder box for now while I plan a course of treatment.

I want to add Epsom Salts as a treatment, I could either add them to the whole tank to help all the fish or a QT tank. I'm gathering up equipment to move her.

I'm just not sure if Meth blue can be used, or should be or if it's harmful to swim bladder. I came across this and honestly don't get it. I don't even know if it relates to what I'm talking about.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.rese...chtenstein/amp

I could either start up an uncycled hospital bin and use Meth Blue or monitor and cycle a QT aquarium and just use salts.

I really think I overfed yesterday and the pleco babies were out. They also like to eat the pleco food even though I feed them after lights out. I think she is constipated or over-ate, so I will be fasting her for at least a week, unless someone suggests otherwise. I think I'll be feeding brine shrimp and Epsom Salts when it's time to feed again.

Pls help. Any suggestions?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I forgot to add, I don't see anything else wrong, this happened overnight, no redness, no struggling to breathe, only bloated in the belly and struggling to stay lower. I wish she'd just relax and float a bit. I put floating plants in the box.

I'm actually not sure if the in tank breeder box or Hospital tank is better now. It's better she is in a small area I think.

I'm considering adding magnesium sulfate to the whole 90g. 1 tsp per 5 gallons enough? OR is a concentrated bath a better plan?

Tx!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 06-24-2018 at 02:21 AM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I've always treated bloat in a separate bin with Epsom salt for about 30 minutes... I would have to look back at notes if I even still have them as to dosage as it's been forever since I dealt with it. I'm sure Rocksor will come along with dosages for it... If I know a fish is bloated for overeating though which I've dealt with much more recently I just separate as you have and fast them usually resolves u a couple days in my experience.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The floating plants were to prevent her flank from drying out should she run out of energy and hopefully allow her to rest.
    20180623_223845.jpg
    I covered it well and hopefully the roots will help stabilize her as well. 20180623_223845.jpg
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you sfsamm! Yeah, I'm leaning toward baths for treatment as well. I'll do the magnesium sulfate baths at whatever dosage for baths, searching...

I'm still questioning whether meth blue would be helpful here? I still have to sit down and read, but I quickly saw that Meth blue baths were recommended for bloat/swim bladder issues.

It's just I'm 98% sure she ate too much. Some others were looking full too. That always happens when the pleco fry start wandering. But this is the first time I saw this. She doesn't look sick, fortunately, just very uncomfortable :( Is the Meth Blue bath recommendation for bacterial issues associated with loss of equilibrium? Does the fact that she is swimming nose down mean there is already bacterial infection? I know it means she has fluid or poop retained. I found poop on the isolation box floor, not sure if it came from her or floated in when I set it up, but she is still nose down :(
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I usually don't worry too much for the first 48 hours or so myself. Buuuut that by no means says I am right. I had my old school aquarium teachers for years and some magazines that they had for knowledge. I've used seriously fish for years and years but never really came to the internet for info until the past couple so many of methods are apt to be a bit behind the times.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    @sfsamm Did your fish who was bloated from overeating recently have trouble with equilibrium or just look fat? I'm fasting all the fish, and a WC. I really must have overfed those little NorthFin 0.50mm community pellets. I was trying to get more food to the plecos. Shame on me!
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    And you don't worry about equilibrium loss? Or bloat? I see bloat more often and don't worry, but not this nose down thing. It's like she's ultra buoyant and trying to stay down.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I think I found it
    For freshwater I would add Methylene Blue at double normal tank treatment strength (as per bottle instructions) then add salt (NaCl) at about 1 teaspoon per gallon (Epsom Salts can also be uses at 1/4 teaspoon per gallon in baths used for treatment, especially in cases of bloat, water retention, selling, etc.)
    But I won't be using sodium chloride, I know that.

But reading around, I see most ppl are dosing the whole tank 1tbsp per 10 gallons Epsom Salt and WC it it 24hrs later.

Looking for confirmation on dosage. I'm so tired now!
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    One of my endler-guppies gets bloated and has on several occasions struggled to stay afloat ending up nose down in the dirt on the bottom usually... He would get it after treat day about half the time. So he's not floating but rather sinking and perks up after a day or two occasionally three. Benefits of him sinking is I don't remove him because he stays put when he's just bloated I stick him in a breeder box cause he'll still eat. I the past few treat days have used rotifers and blood worms and he's been fine so I have been wondering if it was the brine shrimp. But he always perks back up before I decide to treat him with anything. I also always put a bunch of plants in the box for him but I put fake plants in QT too I really think fish appreciate the cover when they're not feeling well and reducing stress is important.