· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rid X

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Rid X

1 Not allowed!
    Alright so you guys got me in the last thread on this. I've been reading tonight. Reading that I thought would be much further beyond my understanding and give me something to do for the next several days. That wasn't the case it seems. Theoretically I understood the concept off the bat, after reading I'm essentially convinced to give this a run. See what happens.

But I'm still skeptical. Why? Because people put it in their toilet AND it's not considered "safe" for human consumption. Alright obviously it probably won't kill you, probably make you feel horrible if you ate a box and so because someone would do something like that there's warnings.... But really! As long as I've been in the hobby, granted I only went online this past couple years as I always had a plethora of knowledge available through personal contacts and clubs before, but I'd never heard any inkling or smidgen of this nonsense... Nonsense? Maybe not...?

So I read some more and it's all just repetitive, basically stating over and over what's in this link: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...e-read.536736/ and the occasional "it killed my tank" followed by a storm of people pointing out why it's not to blame.

SOOOooo...
    Without further derailing the other thread. I'm looking for comments, advice, experiences, horror stories whatever you got. Help me believe or convince me it'll kill stuff. Plant safe? Invert safe? Should you reduce tank flow after dosing a while? Turn off the lights? Do you feed the same as prior to treating? Anything guys. I'm itching to do this, for no particular reason exactly, my inner nerd wants to experiment and this seems almost unbelievable to me even though I totally see the logic in it.

Thanks for the links, I added the one with a ton of info from @BluewaterBoof, and thank you for that start on this thought too.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    The bacteria in RID-x is the same as the bacteria in all those sludge reducing products. You may have heard of Cycle back in the 1990s, and it does the same thing, except cheaper. Not sure why anyone would eat that product, so the part about not for human consumption is a non-issue. People lube their filters o-ring with vaseline, and that is not safe for human consumption.

You change nothing in your tank. Make the Rid-x slurry, pour the water, and not the grains (unless you have shrimp who people have said love to eat it). The best time to use it is the day after a water change. The only horror story that I have is pouring the Rid-x powder into the main tank and watch as the grains float around on the top and in the water column, eventually residing in the sand bed. Other than that, it's kept my filters cleaner, and reduces my maintenance time. I've got no problem using it in a tank with a wild caught $85 fish, and neither does she.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know why anyone would ingest Vaseline, but it is non-toxic. The amount I use on my o-rings and impeller shafts is minuscule.

http://www.vaseline.us/is-vaseline-jelly-toxic.html
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I was just always told all the sludge reducers were trash and did nothing so I've never even looked at how they worked, to be honest I never even looked into what exactly they supposedly did. I thought they were more like gimmicky stuff.
    Lol I do though know quite well about septic and camper black water tanks and all that goes with it. So I get the idea, it's just such a new concept to me. Closing in on 30 years in the hobby with maybe 5-6 years total I wasn't keeping a tank of some sort, somewhere and I'm just floored that I never even considered a product that would do something... Then again I was also a bucket brigade champion up until this time around too so apparently the struggle of manual, regular, and effective maintenance has just always been a part of the hobby and I never really thought about changing what worked for me. It wasn't broken so I didn't try to fix it lol I don't even really see why a person would "need" something to help but I do understand why people would "want" it.

So @Rocksor your post also implies it's even shrimp safe? That would be awesome I do despise vacuuming the shrimp tanks I always have to stare in a bucket all day for babies afterwards and something to help me reduce that would be awesome. And I am not a fan of priming my eheim canister either lol so getting to do that less would just make me smile lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I think it's safe to say you don't need that stuff. It's completely your decision and I commend you for reading all that to find out if it's something you want to use or not.

For large tanks with canisters, it is really helpful, I will continue to use it myself. I also think it helps with cyanobacteria, which is something that plagues my tanks from time to time. If you've ever had a diatom issue, you'll know you'll take all the help you can get. It helps fish digestion, something important to me when I'm raising fish or dealing with a internal parasite.

I have seen cleaner filters, I've seen the tests Nat and other hobbyist have done, I am a believer that this is beneficial for my tanks and fish.

I'm excited about the concept, but it's completely up to oneself to use hetrotrophic bacteria in your own system.

PS I read all those articles too, took me a couple days of reading the same stuff, but overall, it has all the info you need to make a decision. It's important to follow everything though, like using the powder formula only and not overdosing. Like anything. A little common sense and educating yourself go a long way.

I might start making a slurry, but I've been adding the correct amount in a media bag and hanging it in front of the output filter flow. I ruffle the media bag a few times, I can see the bacteria in the water, it looks like h202. I leave the media bag there overnight and pull out the fiber pieces in the morning.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

2 Not allowed!
    My humble opinion...is I would not personally use this if it were me. I operate very much under the idea if its not broke...don't fix it. I use sand substrate only...have good tank flow, MTS, and over filter like crazy. I clean canisters out at most 2X per year...HOBs monthly....and sponges monthly. Thus I dont clean substrate...and for the most part just do weekly WCs. If life happens my tanks are fine to skip a week or two. My water parms are pristine with nitrates never over 10ppm. For diatoms...I do use Seagel as it absorbs the silicates my sand leaches for a period of time. Only other algae I get is brush and green....those don't bother me. Everyone has the right to run their tank as they see fit and use what they desire. But for me....there is no need, and I don't think I would see much benefit vs the annoyance of dosing the tank.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Nice post, agree 100%...if those who use it see some benefit, then great, but I personally don't see the need for it in my tanks.

My filter cleaning schedule is the same as yours, except I clean my canister 4 times a year, and it doesn't appear dirtier than anyone else's here that I have seen, whether they use it or not.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't use "stuff" in my tank that I don't need to and I sure don't need that.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    I used it for some time, as well. Had nothing to do with something being broke in the tanks. My tanks were fine and still are. Anyone who has seen my photos, journals, and videos knows they are spotless and I have good husbandry practices. I used Rid-X because it is virtually harmless and it was just another method of making my tanks as healthy as possible for my animals. Sure, the tanks are over-filtered with huge turnover rates and lots of media, but stop and think about what your filters are doing.

You're taking the tank water and constantly running it through pads/media that is holding all the waste from the animals in the tank. If I defecated into a glass of water, then poured it through a filter pad to remove the solids from it, would you still drink it? What if I took that poop water and ran it through the same filter pad 100 times and then offered it to you? Would you drink it, then? Well, you're essentially doing the same thing with your fish tanks. You're using filter pads to catch particulates and strip them from the water column, but you're not removing that waste from the tank unless you clean out the filters and switch out the pads for clean ones. All the turnover in the world doesn't mean anything when you realize that all you're doing is forcing that water back through all the waste trapped by the filter media over and over again.

Using sludge removers, either Rid-X, Earthworm, or "purpose-made" products from Seachem, Dr. Tims, Kordon, etc., is simply using bacteria and enzymes that break down all that nasty waste into harmless and clean byproducts (i.e. no longer fish ****). I see people put all kinds of chemicals in their tanks without batting an eye, such as dechlorinators like Prime/Safe, yet they freak out over something like sludge removers mainly due to ignorance. Not using the word in an offensive way, just accurate. They don't understand what the products are or how they work. They hear keywords like "septic" and freak out, automatically assuming that it is a chemical like Drano without any knowledge of what the product actually is.

I had no issues with it. Shrimp readily ate it, from little neo shrimplets up to my larger filter-feeding bamboo. Never noticed any premature deaths. Fish were more active, colors better, tank was clearer, less particulates floating around, and filters were cleaner. The only reason I stopped using Rid-X was because I simply started acquiring too many tanks. All of them were planted and receiving different dosing and maintenance, depending on size and whether high vs low tech. Having to prepare the Rid-X was just one more chore on top of all the others, so I stopped using it one day without really thinking about it.

That all being said, do I believe a tank needs those types of products? Of course not. There are thousands and thousands of folks who keep perfectly healthy and happy animals in their tanks without adding extra products, whether those products are botanicals like catappa leaves or other tannic items, SeaGel, Purigen, Chemi-Pure, NOPOX, etc. It's all a matter of how far the hobbyist wants to go to make their tanks as "ideal" as possible.

End rant haha

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

2 Not allowed!
    I gather from reading this thread that one's decision might depend on how much work one wants to do with one's tank, and how often one wants to do it. With a stable tank that is heavily planted and conservatively stocked, and a conscientious avoidance of overfeeding, as well as routinely syphoning the substrate and keeping up with the water changes, one may actually get by without any filter, so long as there's an air pump to keep the tank oxygenated. It is possible, and maybe the Rid-X can help further with that. Though, if one already has a good growth of beneficial bacteria on the surfaces inside of one's tank, and/or in one's filter, I would be hesitant to mess any further with the biological element. Why tamper with a good thing?

Since my 20-gallon is now so heavily planted, with only some White Clouds, shrimp and snails for stocking, and with regular maintenance still being done and careful feeding, I've been able to remove the Aquaclear from this tank entirely, and have had no problems, at all. My parameters are fine, and have stayed fine for several months without the external filter. Of course, I keep it oxygenated with the air pump and air stone, and an ample supply of bubbles to keep that water agitated. I've had no diatoms in that tank, and it has become much less tedious to work with since I no longer have to take that filter apart to clean it. I closed up the waterfall opening to keep out dust and other external debris, and am enjoying this tank a lot more, now.

It may seem like a daring and risky thing to do, and I've been hesitant to confess here what many aquarists would consider to be a grievous sin, but under the right conditions, it can work, and in that one tank, it is working for me.

I'm undecided about using Rid-X in my 65 -- I would need further researching before I decide that. From the favorable results I've read about here, it might not be such a bad idea, after all. Just one question, though -- with dojos, could it pose a problem? They are scaleless fish, and might be more sensitive to an additive like that.

I'm on the fence about Rid-X, but keeping an open mind.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast