· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default All my fish died (by parasites?) and I'm afraid to put new fish in the tank...

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone,

Unfortunately over the past few months I've been losing my fish one by one. I still could never figure out what was going on. My test strips always said the water was okay, I dosed parasite medicine since they were showing symptoms of fluke infection, and I even gave them VitaChem as a supplement (by soaking their food) in it, but none of it helped...

I'm going to be moving out of state and I don't want to lug my 40 gal. tank across the country, so I'm planning on selling it (probably through craigslist), but I don't want whoever gets it to receive a tank full of parasites (if my loss was even caused by parasites). If I drain all of the water then it will also kill the good bacteria, and then the tank buyer will have to deal with new tank syndrome and cycling and all those difficulties, so I'm not sure I want to do that. If I turn the temp in my tank up really high, I'm afraid that might harm the beneficial bacteria also.

The tank has been sitting empty for about two weeks now, so I hope that hasn't allowed the water to become harmful or something. I'm still running the filter of course, but I've skipped one or two water changes (I used to do a 10% change every two weeks).

Thanks for the help. I just don't feel right about selling someone a tank full of problems.

P.S. I tested the water today and got the following results:

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 0 (that one is hard to read though)
    GH: 150
    KH: somewhere around 240 I think
    PH: 8.3 (unusual, since the ph has always been nearer to 7.8)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    So the fish have perished and your tank has been void of inhabitants for 2 weeks?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes. I do have a japanese mossball that is alive in there, though.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Honestly, if it were me, I wouldn't want to risk disease/parasites to conserve a cycle. The beneficial bacteria will starve without fish waste and reduce their numbers. When fish are added, the buyer will still have to be aware of more ammonia production.

I have a possible parasite issue in one of my planted tanks. I'm curious what others will advise. Is this a fully scaped/ planted tank? It was suggested that I leave my tank fishless for a year before introducing fish again. Other tanks had to be dismantled and sanitized :(
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

4 Not allowed!
    I'd totally gut it make sure everything was dry and bleach the tank. I'd pull filter media and advise the filter works but has no media. Honestly even if I bought a cycled tank I'd do just exactly that myself because people are shady and I don't trust them anyway. I'd rather buy it ready for me to clean and cycle than something someone else I didn't know says is safe.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Most cases when I have issues with possible pathogens or parasites and I don't want to or cant just drain the whole tank. Then letting the tank sit uninhabited will kill any parasite since there is no host. If its suspected bacterial,fungal or viral then just dose proper medication as if the tank still had fish.

Also I wouldn't worry about the beneficial bacteria in the filter even after it dries out. I recently spent some time going back and fourth with fish keepers like Gary Lange and other "legends" of the fish world who swear by the fact you really dont need to do a fishless cycle or worry about losing the bacteria even if it dries out. I of course had my own thoughts amd opinion but hard to argue with probably a combined expereince of a 100 years keeping fish...

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    @AmazonJoe thanks for your response. :)

Since my tank hasn't had fish in it for two weeks, does that mean any parasites would have died off by now?

If I drain the tank, I suppose bacteria could still live in the sludge beneath my substrate (or could they?), so are you saying medication is the only thing that could eliminate that problem?

I have Seachem Stressguard and Paraguard on hand, and I think the former is an antiseptic but probably not the most powerful one.

Also, would turning the temperature way up be a fine substitute for medication in eliminating bacteria, viruses, fungi, etc.?
    Last edited by TetraNumber4; 06-09-2018 at 02:13 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Just throw some paraguard in there its broad spectrum viral, fungal,bacteria,parasitic etc. Then just drain the tank. This should give you peace of mind upong giving it to someone.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    paraguard will not kill columnaris bacteria, and neither will heat below 90F. Columnaris thrives in detritus matter in the tank. If you don't want to treat the tank with bleach at 1:10 bleach:water, then buy the largest bottle of peroxide you can get, and dump it into the tank. This will kill any bacteria, and after 48 hours the peroxide just becomes water and oxygen.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 06-09-2018 at 03:29 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I'm really sorry about your fish. It is really unlikely for all of them to die of parasites unless something new was added. Unfortunately, you really can't do a fecal on the feces since they will be contaminated by other things.

If you were talking reptiles, you could probably get away with filling the tank with a strong bleach solution, then rinsing it out several times, but that might not be such a good idea with fish. If any bleach is left, it will only compound the problem. Personally, I'd ditch the tank and everything in it. If you really want to find out, the best way would be to send one of the dead fish to your state's animal disease diagnostic laboratory, but it is probably too late for that.

Start over and you'll sleep better at night.

marc4