· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Tank is coming along nicely! - Slaphppy7   Good luck with your cycle! - DebinWhitmore   For fellow Tetra lover! - AmazonJoe   Not a greenie, but close! - Slaphppy7   Prayers and condolences - Silbar   

Default 92 Gallon Corner - Peaceful Community

1 Not allowed!
    It’s been a long time, my friends.

I am about to embark on completely reworking my 92 gallon corner tank.

History: It had been a cichlid only tank for almost 2 years. To make a long story short, I had a male cichlid kill off every fish except for two females. They procreated, but I have only had 1 fry get large enough to survive. I am tired of having a 92 gallon tank with 3 hornery fish. It is time for them to have a new home and me to move on to more peaceful combinations.

New Challenge: My goal is to create a planted community of large peaceful schools. The only issue is that the tank is very tall and not so long. What tetras/rasboras/etc would still enjoy these dimensions? I am also thinking of honey gouramis and cories, but these would come later.
    My Tank Journals:
    55 Gallon Planted - Low Tech

"Life is life’s greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life’s scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest." — Lloyd Biggle Jr., Writer

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Tank is coming along nicely! - Slaphppy7   Good luck with your cycle! - DebinWhitmore   For fellow Tetra lover! - AmazonJoe   Not a greenie, but close! - Slaphppy7   Prayers and condolences - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    I’m envisioning a three layered community:
    Top: Marble Hatchet School
    Middle: Rasbora and/or Tetra Schools
    Bottom: Cory School
    My Tank Journals:

"Life is life’s greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life’s scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest." — Lloyd Biggle Jr., Writer

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

It's a hot toddy. - Taurus   Here's to the "blue ribbon" tetra! - Slaphppy7   Hope you had a happy birthday! We are both March babies :) - discusluv   Good to hear from you again! - Slaphppy7   Happy Independence Day! - Slaphppy7   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    That sounds like a great plan and good to see you back ;-)
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Here is where my research/ideas have taken me so far:

Substrate: I’ve done dirted in the past, and I don’t want to go that route again. It was a hot mess every time I moved a plant. I currently have EcoComplete, but it is too thin for rooted plants. I think I’d like to add a thick cap of Black Diamond. Has anyone kept cory cats on Black Diamond? Did it bother them at all? I’ve seen mixed reports.

Plants: I’m going to start by building a back curtain of jungle val. I’ve had huge success with it in the past and think the hatchets would enjoy the trailing leaves across the top. I’ll have to play the rest by ear. I have a ton of holey rock in my tank and in my garage, so I will play around with the hardscape first.

Stocking: I will start with stocking the mid-level. What are some of the calmest tetras you’ve encountered? Hatchets are very skittish, and I don’t want anything too active, nippy, or aggressive. Keep in mind that I will stock them in large schools. I’d love to do 20ish of a tetra and 20ish of a rasbora.
    My Tank Journals:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

It's a hot toddy. - Taurus   Here's to the "blue ribbon" tetra! - Slaphppy7   Hope you had a happy birthday! We are both March babies :) - discusluv   Good to hear from you again! - Slaphppy7   Happy Independence Day! - Slaphppy7   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Cardinal tetra's are about the "calmest" and most attractive tetra out there, they school loosely and look best in the big school you mentioned. Second choices would be; Black neon's and Black phantom's, Male black phantoms get a little "waspish" with each other, but I've never seen them harm another fish, their cousin the Red phantom is another good choice. but harder to find.

Harlequin rasbora are hands down you best choice for a rasbora or their look a like cousin the Lamb chop rasbora. Another choice of rasbora would be the Brilliant rasbora, they are colorful and as easy to find as the Harlequin.

I hope this helped you out
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I would add another rasbora would be the glowlight/hengeli. They are like the espei, but a bit smaller. With their size you could get away with 12-15 of the espei and the hengeli. I have a mixed school in my 75 and they group together very well.

Espei
    download (1).jpg

Hengli
    download.jpg

Glowlight tetras are also a nice calm fish, but small and similar in color to the rasboras.
    download (3).jpg

Above pics courtesey of seriouslyfish.com and liveaquaria.com
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Good suggestion Boundava, I didn't thing of glowlights and their usually easy to find.
    -Vince Lombardi

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    A fun project!

When you say your tank is 'Very tall and not so long', how long is the longest?

I understand the wish for peaceful. I like peacefulness too. Might you consider Cherry Barbs? They are very peaceful, just be mindful of their gender ratio for the most peace.

On another note, in an entirely different direction, did you consider angels? Without knowing your tank dimensions, it does seem like this would make a good home for some angelfish... but your peaceful stipulation might rule those out.

I look forward to watching you build this.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    I would add another rasbora would be the glowlight/hengeli. They are like the espei, but a bit smaller. With their size you could get away with 12-15 of the espei and the hengeli. I have a mixed school in my 75 and they group together very well.

Espei
    download (1).jpg

Hengli
    download.jpg

Glowlight tetras are also a nice calm fish, but small and similar in color to the rasboras.
    download (3).jpg

Above pics courtesey of seriouslyfish.com and liveaquaria.com
    Oh, those fish would look brilliant against the black substrate. I’m going to have to carefully think through stocking numbers. I know I eventually want the hatchet and cory schools. I’ve also been drooling over the pygmy species of plecos.

Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    A fun project!

When you say your tank is 'Very tall and not so long', how long is the longest?

I understand the wish for peaceful. I like peacefulness too. Might you consider Cherry Barbs? They are very peaceful, just be mindful of their gender ratio for the most peace.

On another note, in an entirely different direction, did you consider angels? Without knowing your tank dimensions, it does seem like this would make a good home for some angelfish... but your peaceful stipulation might rule those out.

I look forward to watching you build this.
    The tank is 24” deep and 38” from corner to corner. I know that angels would do very well in this tank, but I’m nervous about their temperament.
    My Tank Journals:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Pygmy plecos?...did you mean pygmy corys?....if so, they would not do well in a tank this large, regular corys should be fine, however
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers