· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default preventing breeding, please help

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, i have a 500L tank with 2 P. socolofi {blue powder mbuna} in , a pleco and an a young iridiscent shark{temporarley}

Iv just added the second socolofi today and immediatly noticed what i think is courting behavior between them.

I really dont want them to lay eggs or breed and wanted to ask for any advice on how to prevent this

thank you!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

3 Not allowed!
    1. Keep all males or all females. Having both genders will lead to procreation (possible even between different mbuna species).

2. With that said, in a well-stocked mbuna set-up most of the fry are subject to predation by the larger fish in the tank. When my 125gal mbuna tank was at its peak I had 30+ mbuna in there or more with mouth brooding females always existing in the tank. Over a span of over 10 years I've had less than a handful of fry beat the odds and survive to adult hood. In comparison, when I transferred mouth-brooding females to a 'maternity' tank, practically all of each brood (numbering 25-40 fry a pop) survived.

3. With your current tank population, there may not be enough fish in the tank for population control. I'd refer back to paragraph 1.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaybee View Post
    1. Keep all males or all females. Having both genders will lead to procreation (possible even between different mbuna species).

2. With that said, in a well-stocked mbuna set-up most of the fry are subject to predation by the larger fish in the tank. When my 125gal mbuna tank was at its peak I had 30+ mbuna in there or more with mouth brooding females always existing in the tank. Over a span of over 10 years I've had less than a handful of fry beat the odds and survive to adult hood. In comparison, when I transferred mouth-brooding females to a 'maternity' tank, practically all of each brood (numbering 25-40 fry a pop) survived.

3. With your current tank population, there may not be enough fish in the tank for population control. I'd refer back to paragraph 1.
    The reason i want to prevent is in order to PREVENT suffering.. being eaten alive is a horrible thing..

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Then have only males or only females, as advised.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SaveThemAll1 View Post
    The reason i want to prevent is in order to PREVENT suffering.. being eaten alive is a horrible thing..
    Unfortunately its the circle of life...
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    If you want to keep the fry from being eaten, transfer them (or the mouth-brooding mother) to a smaller twenty or so gallon breeder tank. Your only other option to prevent breeding is remove the females or males from the tank. Otherwise, the Mbuna are going to breed regardless of the tank conditions (Breeding them may come as a profit).

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, im worried that one of them has eggs in her mouth
    her mouth seems a bit puffy to me, can you look and tell me what you think? btw if she has eggs will she eat? i mean if i see her eating that means theres no eggs?
    the other fish started to harass her a bit today, it wasent like this befor

the relevant part starts abot after 30 sec

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

2 Not allowed!
    I couldn't make out much at the 30 second mark, but from what I can see at exactly the 58 second mark as well as in the photo that you posted, that fish does not appear to be mouth brooding.

Also, you have two different type of mbuna's there. The aggressor is indeed a socolofi, but the other (the fish in question) is a zebra (probably a metriaclima callainos/'cobalt blue zebra'). The socolofi's are more 'torpedo' shaped and the zebras are bulker and have wider mouths and lips (zebras are more specialized algae-grazers than socolofi's).

Mouthbrooders have a full buchal pouch. Below are two pictures of mouthbrooding mbuna's, the first is a socolofi, but I think the yellow lab in the second photo illustrates what a mouthbrooder with a mouthful of eggs/fry looks liker:

socolofimbrood.jpg

femaleyellowlabbrooding.jpg

The fullness of the buchal pouch expands as the eggs become fry and the fry become larger fry. The mother releases the fry typically after 18-21 (though I've had them release earlier and well as later than that time frame).

The mother will fast for practically the entire mouth-brooding period and it seems their yawning reflex is also disabled during this time. They are adapted to go without food this entire time.
    Last edited by kaybee; 04-15-2020 at 10:52 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Different topic entirely, but mbuna's are on the aggressive side. They do much better in larger groups.

As is, that socolofi can focus all aggression on that zebra.

If you had 7-12 more mbuna's, the socolofi could perhaps still be the aggressor but it would most likely randomize who it cases, thereby giving the last fish it chased a chance to relax, or at least receive a much smaller percentage of the aggression that is dealt out, rather than receiving 100% of it.

Keeping mbuna's in small groups actually tends to increases aggressive behavior.