· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

hero to a crayfish - RiversGirl   

Exclamation Jackie Dreamer has Ich!

0 Not allowed!
    When I looked at the guppies today, I noticed that Jackie Dreamer's tail fin and dorsal fins were covered in white spots! She has clamped fins and has been hiding most of the day. One of my other guppies was flashing against the gravel a few days ago; I thought it was nothing. But now I know it's Itch. I have lots of snails in their tank, so I need a copper-free itch medication. Mail-order would probably take too long so I might be able to get some meds at Petco or Petsmart. Do they carry this kind, and if so, a non-copper formula? Thank you!
    It's better to have and not need then to need and not have; this is especially true when you're dealing with fish and you need itch medication.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BBJ View Post
    When I looked at the guppies today, I noticed that Jackie Dreamer's tail fin and dorsal fins were covered in white spots! She has clamped fins and has been hiding most of the day. One of my other guppies was flashing against the gravel a few days ago; I thought it was nothing. But now I know it's Itch. I have lots of snails in their tank, so I need a copper-free itch medication. Mail-order would probably take too long so I might be able to get some meds at Petco or Petsmart. Do they carry this kind, and if so, a non-copper formula? Thank you!
    Yes they should!!! Also bump up the temp in the tank up a few degrees too

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I can't raise the temperature that much; my heater is non-adjustable. Is there anything else I can do for her in the meantime?
    It's better to have and not need then to need and not have; this is especially true when you're dealing with fish and you need itch medication.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Add 1 teaspoon of dissolved salt per gallon of water over an 8 hour period. On Day 2, do the same thing so that the total salt content of the water is 2 teaspoons per gallon. On Day 3, add another 1tsp/gallon so that the total salt concentration is 3 teaspoons (1 tablespoon) of salt per gallon. Maintain this amount of salt for up to 14 days after you no longer see the ich on any fish.

Do water changes and vacuum the substrate to remove the ich from the gravel. Add in the amount of salt back in (same day) when doing a water change, so if you change 10g of water, add in the amount of dissolved salt back in.

Pickling salt is the cheapest, with ice cream salt being next.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Won't that hurt my snails, though? All of the excess salt?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Depends on the snail. Nerite snails that breed in brakish water won't be affected

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have mystery snails, ramshorn snails, MTS, and a couple tadpole snails.