· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Books! (Non aquarium related)

2 Not allowed!
    I do a decent amount of reading, so I figured I'd make a thread that someone could write about their latest read.

I just read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? By Phillip K. Dick. What a read! It's the movie that Blade Runner is loosely based on, but the book is much darker then the movie. Now that I finished it idk if I like the "hero" despise the hero, feel bad for the Androids or feel that they got what's coming. I thought it was a really good book that dives into human psychology in a couple of interesting ways.

I finished it last night at work, and today while I was sleeping I had some pretty messed up dreams from it lol.
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    nice topic that I could go on for pages about. I have had no recent reads that were great but some of my favorites are as follows in no particular order.

Jean Auel's earth's children series (clan of the cave bear) read them dozens of times.

Douglas Adams hitchhikers guide to the galaxy series.

some of the classics such as journey to the center of the earth, the time machine. Robbinson Crusoe.

Subterranean - James Rollins
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bpete View Post
    nice topic that I could go on for pages about. I have had no recent reads that were great but some of my favorites are as follows in no particular order.

Jean Auel's earth's children series (clan of the cave bear) read them dozens of times.

Douglas Adams hitchhikers guide to the galaxy series.

some of the classics such as journey to the center of the earth, the time machine. Robbinson Crusoe.

Subterranean - James Rollins
    I've been reading through the sigma series by James Rollins. I like really enjoyed Deep Fathom by him.

The forever war is a great book if you like science fiction!

Robinson crusoe was also a good book! You should try Gulliver's Travels if you liked that. It is kind of a political satire, which I didn't know until I started reading it lol.

I haven't read the others, I'll have to give them a read!
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Both Robinson Crusoe and Gulliver's Travel's are excellent books.
    I am odd and spend most of my time reading 19th century American and British literature.
    Herman Melville and George Eliot are my favorites.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discusluv View Post
    I am odd and spend most of my time reading 19th century American and British literature.
    I got about halfway through Moby dick and decided it wasn't for me. Maybe I'll try some of his other stuff though. Probably didn't help that I read while working night shift, and reading his detailed descriptions of things made it hard to focus.
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus291 View Post
    I got about halfway through Moby dick and decided it wasn't for me. Maybe I'll try some of his other stuff though. Probably didn't help that I read while working night shift, and reading his detailed descriptions of things made it hard to focus.
    Try his short stories- amazing.
    Benito Cereno
    Bartelby the Scrivener
    The Paradise of Bachelors and the Tartarus of Maids
    Billy Budd

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus291 View Post
    I've been reading through the sigma series by James Rollins. I like really enjoyed Deep Fathom by him.

The forever war is a great book if you like science fiction!

Robinson crusoe was also a good book! You should try Gulliver's Travels if you liked that. It is kind of a political satire, which I didn't know until I started reading it lol.

I haven't read the others, I'll have to give them a read!
    I have also read other Rollins books. the Judas strain, map of bones and sandstorm. Gullivers travels was a nice read too.
    Brian

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discusluv View Post
    well there are certainly some great literature from the time period.

my 8 year old son who up until this year has not enjoyed reading even though he is a great reader recently has become interested in the classics. he read the young reader books of Journey to the center of the earth and of all things the Illiad.
    Brian

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Hmm these are all authors who do multiple books in sequence, which I enjoy reading.

Simon scarrow.
    Wilbur smith.
    Douglas reeman.
    P f Hamilton
    K j Anderson
    Nigel tranter
    David gilman