· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default What Is Your Go To Planted Tank Substrate?

2 Not allowed!
    what is your go to planted tank substrate?
    i use the Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum. Thats my favorite because it doesnt really cloud up the water and my plants do pretty well with the fertilizer even my red plants color up well without me adding liquid fertilizer. Checkout my plants :)
    But i feel the the fluval sub is kind of expensive if u have a big tank.
    what is a good budget substrate? how deep is your substrate? i keep mine at least 1"-1.5"

I use the JC&P light $26 usd from Amazon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Your plants look amazing.

For cheap, clean substrate that grows plants well, I use this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete...5350/202314677
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    I've used Black Diamond blasting sand and the Quickrete Slap mentioned above with ok results. They're good for really large tanks on a budget but they are inert and need lots of fertilizer supplementation. If you're ok with routinely adding root tabs and dosing the tank they are fine, but they are at the bottom of the planted tank ladder.

I've also used ADA Aquasoil, which is pricey but it is my favorite for planted tanks. Lush carpets, explosive growth, and it is an active soil that buffers your pH and helps keep it on the acidic side which most plants, inverts, and fish in the hobby prefer. The downsides, besides price, is that a) you can't really rinse it (the soil/clay balls will disintegrate) prior to putting it in your tank so it makes things cloudy for a day or two, and b) it tends to leach out ammonia for a few weeks. Neither of which is really an issue if you're cycling the tank for a few weeks anyway. Aquasoil is very similar to your Fluval Stratum.

I liked Eco Complete's ability to grow plants but I did not care for how sharp the rubble was. Whenever I tried turning up the water flow, the stems of my more delicate plants tended to get torn up pretty good.

I also used organic garden soil with a thick layer of Flourite capping it and got the most amazing growth I've ever had. Full carpet of dwarf hairgrass within three weeks. Problem was I had a huge problem with the soil clouding up the water during that time. I was doing 100% water changes right down to the soil about two or three times a week to try clearing up the tank. In hind sight it would have been much better mixing the Flourite with the soil, then capping with sand. I believe the Flourite was just a poor capping choice since the rubble/gravel sized grains just allowed too much stuff to seep out of the soil into the water column.

How long have you had the light and how long have you had the plants? I'm actually quite amazed that you have red plants with such a light fixture. Most people can't get deep reds unless they have really stong light with a healthy spectrum. I'm going to have to look more into your light if it is such a little powerhouse :)

Edit: Forgot to add, I generall aim for 3-4" of substrate. I get much stronger and fuller root bases with deeper substrate.
    Last edited by BluewaterBoof; 07-01-2019 at 03:49 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

2 Not allowed!
    I agree--your plants look great!

All my tanks have an inch of Miracle Grow Organic Choice soil (or similar--no chemicals or added fertilizers) capped by an inch or two of sand, either black blasting sand, pool filter sand, or play sand, depending on the color I want and what's available. All of my tanks have been set up for at least two years and the plants are still going strong!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have a couple planted tank my biggest planted tank was a 30" long 30 gallon and i only have regular gravel. It was a beginner mistake but i have success growing all of the plants because there were a decent amount of fish waste collected in the gravel and plus i have co2 tank.

But for the more sensitive plants like the tank picture above. I would rather have a good substrate so nothing goes wrong
    i does copper once or twice a week and micro and macro nutrient for that tank. and i also do trimming to keep the plant in their own area. That picture was 3 months old

how do i upload picture with a reply message? i want to show u the tank transformation

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

3 Not allowed!
    for a moment

Is this same tank that you were trying to control the planaria? You'd mentioned previously that your shrimp population was suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by lampro View Post
    copper once or twice a week
    Copper kills shrimp.

This might be a different tank of yours altogether, but I wanted to point this out, just in case you were not aware. Also (in case you are in fact talking about 2 separate tanks) be mindful of cross contamination whenever you share any equipment between the tanks.

I use tapatalk (app) to post photos to the forum. Generally, I start a post using the computer, then use my phone with the app to edit in the photo. Hope that method proves helpful to you. I'd love to see your tank transformation shots!
    Last edited by RiversGirl; 07-02-2019 at 02:42 PM.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Wow I also agree, your plants look incredible. Maybe try using the plant stratum you have in places around your plants for a large tank? Like islands?

I use organic soil and cap with PFS and a sprinkle of pea gravel. I like a 2-6 inch dirt bed and an inch cap. I've had some tanks going like that for 5 years without revamping.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    for a moment

Is this same tank that you were trying to control the planaria? You'd mentioned previously that your shrimp population was suffering.

Copper kills shrimp.

This might be a different tank of yours altogether, but I wanted to point this out, just in case you were not aware. Also (in case you are in fact talking about 2 separate tanks) be mindful of cross contamination whenever you share any equipment between the tanks.

I use tapatalk (app) to post photos to the forum. Generally, I start a post using the computer, then use my phone with the app to edit in the photo. Hope that method proves helpful to you. I'd love to see your tank transformation shots!
    Very insightful Rivers!!! Hope that's the answer to the mystery shrimp deaths. I meant to add this as an edit, but edit wasn't working well.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat