· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Buffering KH

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith   

Default Buffering KH

0 Not allowed!
    The KH coming out of my tap is 4dkh. I'm currently cycling my tank and found it dropped to 1dkh in the space of 2 weeks... will I need to buffer it when im ready to add fish? My PH is 7, GH 8.

27 Gallon planted: Super Dragon Betta, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Checker barbs, Bolivian Ram, Otocinclus, Amano shrimp, Assassin snails.

75 Gallon Reef: Ocellaris Clownfish pair, Firefish, Royal Gramma, Bangaii Cardinal, Midas Blenny, Coral Beauty Angelfish, Cleaner Shrimp, 18+ crabs and snails

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    @Rocksor should be able to help
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes you will need to buffer the KH and increase it to 6 degrees or do a water change during the cycle process.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    If you do enough water changes, the kh will be replenished. Usually when cycling with fish, enough water changes are required that it is kept recharged. But kh is consumed with the nitrogen cycle. If you raise it to 6, you will have a larger buffering window between water changes. If you are cycling without fish, you could simply add a buffer.

Having said that, my tap kh is 2, but I do enough WCs that it stays at 2. I also have mild buffers like soil that brings it up to about 4. . A kh of 4 is considered a good value to go for. To increase kh, I used to keep crushed coral (wrapped in pantyhose) in the filter. Results are not as immediate as other methods, but I like the consistency. I didn't have to use very much at all, like a 1 tsp per 30 gallons was enough for me. So start low and adjust as needed. The coral very slowly dissolves, so I didn't have to replenish it for a year or so. Another method to increase kh is baking soda, but I don't know the dosage. Probably the best bet for you without fish.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 02-20-2019 at 06:54 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for the rep - mommy1   You need some of these. - mommy1   One more for your AC tank. - mommy1   You are an amazing young man!  Keep up the good work. - mommy1   Bravo! - Rue   

0 Not allowed!
    Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) will raise the KH, my advice would be to just add a little at a time until it was raise dot where you want it to be.
    When you have a 12-inch bowl and a fish that gets up to 15 inches, it's obviously not going to fit.