· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default LED Lighting question

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

I bought a new 36 Gallon bowfront tank. It came with an LED light that is completely enclosed (light goes down into water, none leaks out around the hood). But, the light isn't strong and my plants are dying. I want to upgrade the light to get better plant growth, but all I can find for LED lights are the type that are suspended by a frame over the canopy. With these lights a lot reflects off the glass canopy and out into the room.

Does anyone know of a brand of LED light that is enclosed so that the light just goes down into the tank and not out into the room?

Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

You could buy submersible LED strips, but I would just get a regular LED with a glass lid, I have them on all 5 of my tanks, and my plants grow just fine.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    ...just get a regular LED with a glass lid, I have them on all 5 of my tanks, and my plants grow just fine.
    OP does not want all the light that spills and reflects with regular LED/lid setups.

@chrisnf unfortunately, aquarium LEDs do not really come with canopies. People who go with canopy-style tops on their aquariums generally use fluorescent lights, and those who don't care for the bulk of those canopies opt for the LEDs because they come in low-profile sleek designs.

It is very easy to put a canopy around an LED fixture, though. You can go DIY and build your own, or you can purchase a regular hood/reflector made for fluorescent bulbs and cover the LED fixture with it. One thing to consider is that the stronger lights made for plant growth tend to put out some higher temperatures and you may run into heat and longevity issues with your light if kept under a hood without adequate ventilation to dissipate the heat.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Here is an example of someone who made their own hood to eliminate light spillage.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Fish-tank-hood-v2/

I forgot to add in my previous post that with tight-fitting hoods you also run into the issue of condensation buildup inside of the hood. This can make things very messy and potentially ruin your light or cause a fire. Just something you'll need to be aware of when deciding the route you wish to take.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you very much for clarifying that what I'm seeking isn't readily available. That seemed to be what I was finding when looking around. I think I'll start with a better LED and see how much or if the light spillage is as much of a distraction as I think it would be. If it is, I'll look into a DIY project, I like tinkering and I think it could be done safely if vented properly.

Also thanks for the welcome!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Try setting the led right on your glass. May help with the reflection.
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Are you able to set up some led out door flood lights into the hood??
    I added some stainless 316 plate, then drill it. Once that was done bolted it to the canopy.
    Installed the bracket for the out door flood lights. All water proof cheap and easy.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I think you would want to to look for diodes with a 90° spread lense. These lenses focus the light and PAR is increased. I find they don't illuminate the top portion of the tank very well though.

The reason LEDs don't have reflectors is because typically they are a 120° spread. Fluorescent lights are 360° and edgy you need to refract light escaping the top and sides of the bulb downward.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I can't edit for some reason. In my tanks where I don't want any light in the room, I make DIY shades. You'd have to figure out something that looks nice, because mine are ghetto lol!

Obviously the closer the light is to the tank, the less light will spill.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat