· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emerald Crab

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

Default Emerald Crab

4 Not allowed!
    Some vids featuring one of my emeralds.

I apologize for the dirty glass in this clip. This was shot in through the rear of the side glass where the rockwork prevents me from getting a scraper of any kind down there.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Love the dynamically sinister music in that last clip....he's a busy beaver, I mean crab.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Very neat-what large claws he has.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Sorry the guppies didn't work out - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Good luck with the 20L! - Slaphppy7   Good luck with the goldfish... - Slaphppy7   For being a goldfish's hero. - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I love your videos.

Thanks for sharing.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    He's going to town on a Hikari Crab Cuisine pellet in the 2nd clip. They absolutely love the pellets. I can hold a pellet over it and it will try stretching up for it, a lot like:

z4gw6.jpg

They're great for picking at all the uneaten bits of foods that accumulate on the rocks and in little crevices. I got them to help get rid of some nuisance hair and bubble algae that kept popping up in certain spots that I couldn't get rid of even by totally leaning out the nutrients in the tank (NO3 less than 2ppm and PO4 less than 0.03ppm). I got tired of removing frags from the tank, scraping the bubble algae off, and then gluing them back into place so I purchased the pair, which are pretty much one of the few nano tank-friendly options out there that eat bubble algae.

In the first clip you see it cleaning the little bit of hair algae I had. It was all gone within 20mins or so. I had a few small spots of bubble algae clusters here and there in the tank, each about the size of a plump blueberry. Took the crabs two days to locate all of them since they were so small and in such random spots, but by the third day not a bubble could be found anywhere. Very pleased with these little critters.

I bought a male and a female. Edward and Esmeralda. Eddie is the big fella you see in the vids. Ezzie is about half the size of Eddie and is missing a claw. From what I've read, once she molts it will grow back. She likes to perch in one of my bird's nest corals (pun intended), which is both cute and maddening at the same time as she's irritating the coral.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Love the dynamically sinister music in that last clip....he's a busy beaver, I mean crab.
    Hahaha I love how the camera zooms in right when the music gets dramatic in the beginning. Happened completely by mistake. I didn't even notice until after the vid was uploaded and the Youtube music added :)

Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Very neat-what large claws he has.
    Yeah, when I saw those claws I was a bit hesitant. Some folks have had bad experiences with emeralds in which they eat their corals and in some rare occasions their fish. I held off for a good month or so before giving in and getting them because of the horror stories I had heard. I tried really hard to get rid of the bubble algae without resorting to emerald crabs, but I couldn't picture myself constantly breaking my frags off the rocks to clean them and then gluing them back in place for the rest of my life. There are several species of fish that will eat the bubble algae, but none of them are small enough to be responsibly kept in a nano tank like mine.....sooooo...yeah, in go the crabs. I was terrified to check on the tank after the first night, half-expecting my corals to be shredded and dying, but so far the crabs have been perfect additions to the tank. If one of them starts to be nasty, it will be banished to the sump until I find a new home for it hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by labagility View Post
    I love your videos.

Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks for watching! I'm one of the few active members here with a marine setup so I feel it's my duty to give the salty side some love here on the site haha I'm trying to get as many vids out as I can before @mch1984 and @mac get their big tanks up and running and shame my little nano They're right on my heels so I'm running out of time!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Haha, you and @mac are way ahead of me. I started doing some wire management on mine last night and realized I needed more supplies and a whole day just for that. I did a 10 gallon for my dad, I may have to add an emerald to help his hair algae problem. were doing 50% weekly water changes and still can't stop it and it has one fish and some shrimp at the moment.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mch1984 View Post
    I started doing some wire management on mine last night and realized I needed more supplies and a whole day just for that.
    27doi9.jpg

I did a 10 gallon for my dad, I may have to add an emerald to help his hair algae problem. were doing 50% weekly water changes and still can't stop it and it has one fish and some shrimp at the moment.
    Eeyup. Same issue I had. I even watched a BRS video on algae control and it was a waste of time. They talk about limiting nutrients to reduce the algae and then go to talk about how some types of algae grow even in ultra-low nutrient systems. My nutrients are almost non-existent and I still had persistent algae problems.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    The issue I ran into last night is that I'm spoiled. I realized to get all my wiring done I need my ATO off the 34 gallon. I thought, that means I'll have to top top off manually, I don't want to do that. I actually contemplated buying another top off system so I wouldn't have to. Then realized how stupid that was.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, manual top-off is a pain. That's what I'm doing because I don't want to drop all that extra cash on an ATO controller and pump. I'm sure I'll get one further down the line, but it hasn't been high on my list of priorities. I still want to get another wavemaker so I can run a master/slave setup and get some nice alternating currents in the tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I think when my dads gets to the point of needing some dosing I am going to set up a very simple gravity fed drip system for it. He may still have to top off sometimes but not all the time. But well see how that goes, us aquarium people tend to want to upgrade. It wouldn't surprise me if i end up finding a used nicer tank one day for him. He's in the same boat with the circulation, its being provided by some cheap power heads at the moment. I noticed where Inovative Marine put out some controllable wave makers designed for nano tanks. I figured I'll put one of those in there one day.