· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Treatment resistant Whitespot.

0 Not allowed!
    My planted set up has come down with a stubborn, apparently treatment resistant strain of whitespot. So far I've had a complete wipeout, waited a week & started restocking, & it's struck again over a week ago. It has so far resisted:
    Protozin;
    NT Labs whitespot treatment;
    WS3;
    Sterazin (which one shop I've used for decades said to use for so-called 'super spot')
    All of the above have been combined with temps raised to 87f.
    Most of the fish have died, but a trio of empire gudgeon seem unaffected by this parasite & they alone have no spots of signs of illness.
    Can anyone help?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Anyone? Any ideas?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Move the fish to a quarantine tank, add salt to the water, and raise the temp to speed up the life cycle of the parasites. Planted setups are tough to work with because the salt may kill the plants. Only other thing I've heard of that will remove the parasites from the water is a diatom filter. I had an outbreak of Ich among some clown loaches once. They were heavily infested, while most of the other fish were relatively clear. Tank wasn't planted, so I used salt and malachite green dye to treat the fish.

^^^Please click on the eggs/dragons, thank you!^^^

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Think I might have it licked- fresh bottle of Sterazin at double dose. Sterazin goes stale & turns brown after a while, & no longer works. Brand new it's effective. The spots are starting to disappear.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    You should use either heat or meds, not both...that's what killed your fish
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    You should use either heat or meds, not both...that's what killed your fish
    Meds without heat didn't work, heat without meds didn't work. It was the treatment resistant parasite that killed my fish. Heat with fresh bottle of Sterazin has cured it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Heat alone will kill the free-swimming stage of the parasite, but the necessary temp for that may be too high for some fish. A bit less heat will speed up the growth of the encysted parasites on the fish. Nothing will kill the parasites in that stage that won't also kill the fish. There is some debate whether the parasites may also drop spores or something similar into the environment that is also essentially immune to treatment. The outbreak among my clown loaches occured randomly, when nothing new had been added to the tank for several months previously. It was also mainly confined to those few fish, they were badly infested, with very few spots appearing on other fish in the tank.

^^^Please click on the eggs/dragons, thank you!^^^