· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your patience with a fish-in cycle. - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Animal Planet's Tanked

1 Not allowed!
    Have you guys seen this series? I watch it on animalplanet.com when I'm bored and it is entertaining, but damn, if this isn't the second time they've put goldfish in a too small tank with only a bubbler... First time was a drum set that all the separate drums totalled at 110 gallons.. the two large base drums were salt water and the 5 or so tiny snares on top had like 5 goldfish in each and no filter. And now, in tracy morgans house, they made a cute 5 gallon baby bottle tank... with 12 red cap goldfish and again only a bubbler.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To new fish! - Slaphppy7   Second round ;) - Slaphppy7   It's a hot toddy. - Taurus   Here's to the "blue ribbon" tetra! - Slaphppy7   Hope you had a happy birthday! We are both March babies :) - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    There have been a few threads started about the show, I started one myself:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...139&highlight=, most comments are favorable as you can see in just mine :(
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Yeah, it's entertainment and not necessarily factually based all the time.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a frontosa, to start your collection - Slaphppy7   4 the help - rookie   

4 Not allowed!
    My 360 was built by them, It came out of a doctors office, and I got it cheap because the filtering system didn't work well and kept killing all the fish! They don't really know much about fish, but the tank they built has the nicest seems I've ever seen on an acrylic tank! So if you don't care about the fish, they're the guys to see!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I wonder if they would be open to being educated? How about the producers?

I've seen this show from time to time. Awesome looking tanks, but am not sure they properly instruct their customers on how to care for the animals inside of them. Maybe that's the job of the people having the tanks built for them -- to learn to take care of them, afterwards. The people who build the tanks are just building tanks. The maintenance and upkeep are the customer's responsibility.

Still, it wouldn't hurt if the builders and producers of this show learned some things about fishkeeping, also. Tips they can pass on to their clients and to viewers that might actually be helpful.

On the other hand, some of those extremely exotic ideas are a little over the top ... Who wants an aquarium shaped like a bicycle? How can that possibly be enjoyable? Not that I've ever seen them build one like that, but that's the general gist of the show -- the unusual and the outlandish. The drum set comes to mind ...
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your patience with a fish-in cycle. - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Wow there's a lot of old threads about them haha. That's what I get for watching old seasons on the internet.
    @fissh that's kind of cool lol, what shape is it? It makes sense that they are actually good at the acrylic building since that's their company name. maybe with the show they bit off more than they could chew

@mermaidwannabe I looked up an interview with the bald guy brett and the interviewer was asking about the show lacking the educational aspect and about cycling, etc. Brett was saying there is behind the scenes stuff and it's animal planet's show and that is how they want to do it, and that they just want to ignite interest in people about fishkeeping, but its on them to do the research, etc. he kind of sounded like an ass though.

I agree though a lot of them seem way too gimicky, and like with all the props, there is sometimes no place for fish to hide or be comfortable.. and in one of the tanks they put in all bottom dwelling cichlids.. but the tank was a vertical fridgerator, so it just looked empty and weird
    Last edited by Pariss; 12-08-2017 at 06:46 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a frontosa, to start your collection - Slaphppy7   4 the help - rookie   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pariss View Post
    Wow there's a lot of old threads about them haha. That's what I get for watching old seasons on the internet.
    @fissh that's kind of cool lol, what shape is it? It makes sense that they are actually good at the acrylic building since that's their company name. maybe with the show they bit off more than they could chew

@mermaidwannabe I looked up an interview with the bald guy brett and the interviewer was asking about the show lacking the educational aspect and about cycling, etc. Brett was saying there is behind the scenes stuff and it's animal planet's show and that is how they want to do it, and that they just want to ignite interest in people about fishkeeping, but its on them to do the research, etc. he kind of sounded like an ass though.

I agree though a lot of them seem way too gimicky, and like with all the props, there is sometimes no place for fish to hide or be comfortable.. and in one of the tanks they put in all bottom dwelling cichlids.. but the tank was a vertical fridgerator, so it just looked empty and weird
    My tank is a boring old 8 ft X 2 ft X 3 ft, not a set of drums or a space ship!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fissh View Post
    It's what we put INSIDE that makes our tanks interesting. I would hope the focus of any viewer's attention would be the animals, the aquascape, the plants, the overall ecosystem that has been well planned out and established WITHIN the tank. The only real concerns about the outside should be whether or not it's properly sealed so it doesn't leak, if its size and shape are suitable for its inhabitants, and is it easy to clean and maintain.

I really think the gimmicky stuff shouldn't be what an aquarium is about. Perhaps this show sends the wrong message? Does anyone really take it that seriously?
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fissh View Post
    Wow, 36" tall? How do you do maintenance on that?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Probably long arms and a step stool or stepladder.

My 65 is nowhere near that tall, but I have to be elevated to work in it. Except for when I siphon the gravel. My siphon tube and hose are tall enough and long enough I can reach the substrate with them while standing on the floor.

We buy equipment that suits our needs ...