· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default How much to feed fish?

1 Not allowed!
    I'm not a big eater myself, and some say I'm too thin, or thin at least. Sometimes, especially with my wasting electric blue ram, I worry I'm not feeding my fish enough even though I try to feed them 3/4 times a day. I feel like I'm overfeeding, but my my fish never look fat (except one, a female blue angel who always looked that way as far as I remember, she's a purchased angel, not one born in my tanks)

So I have mostly angelfish in my tanks lol. I feed the breeding angels 3/4 times a day, revolving brands of pellet foods and the occasional frozen treat unless a female becomes underweight from breeding, which has happened to me. Then I feed more bloodworms and Repashi Spawn&Grow.

I feed the non- breeding angels in community tanks 2/3 times a day. Again, revolving pellet foods and occasional frozen treat.

In the breeder tanks, I give them ~6 pellets a feeding unless the pellets are very tiny. For the community tanks, I give about 10-20 pellets to the angels depending on pellet size and about the same amount small pellets to my tetras and rams. My BN plecos get veggie rounds and fresh veggies every 3 days with exception to the juvie plecos who eat 1 to 2 veggie rounds depending on the size nightly. These juvies are nice and fat.

I'm wondering if fish should look fat, or normal. When I first received my GBRs from my upscale LFS, they appeared much fatter, but I know they get overfed there from time to time.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    I do not have a definitive answer for you, as I am no expert, but I do have an opinion.
    You are an experienced keeper who keeps a steady, meticulous watch on your fish. I would (personally) trust that your observations are accurate and believe that your inclinations tend to ring true.

So, it would be my guess that you are in the habit of feeding just the right amounts, over time, to your various fish.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    You've said your electric blue ram is "wasting". Yet, it seems you are feeding plenty, and it doesn't sound like anyone is starving. There must be another reason your ram is wasting. It must be sick or maybe has parasites. It certainly doesn't sound like you're skimping on its food. I would look into other reasons he's wasting away. Have you noticed any other unusual or suspicious symptoms? What about his color? Is he nice and bright, is faded? How does he swim? Is he active or lethargic? I think there's a different problem than underfeeding.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    I've always had the understanding that fish are difficult to "underfeed" to the point of health issues. I leave mine several times a year for 5-7 days at a time without food. They've never been worse for wear over it. I've never really worried about underfeeding. I worry more about over feeding when I haven't been off gallavanting and allowing the random starve day or traveling and having several.

That said, I agree that there's more likely something else going on causing the wasting. I had one of my ctenopoma with all the chaos of my summer start apparently wasting as well. After nearly a month I put him in a tank alone for several weeks. The first couple he stayed the same, no change, no symptoms of anything else either. Then he quit eating all together so I got creative with some yummy fish bribery and eventually found what he couldn't resist. Ultimately I think what happened was that he'd simply not liked what I was feeding as after I got creative and built his appetite up he went along just fine got active and personable again and I dropped him back in the big tank and although he's obviously smaller than his counterpart he's been fine since. I do notice though that he will not eat a whole myriad of things that the other will and straight refuses to eat any thawed frozen foods unless they are freshly thawed, over night in the fridge repulses him. I celebrated last week when I finally got both ctenopomas to take pellets (neither would before, ever). I kept trying different types (the catfish eat anything) and I finally nailed size, flavor and luckily they aren't too heavy so they still flit around the current as they fall. Neither ctenopoma will touch anything that floats nor anything that drops straight down, it's gotta look alive I guess.

I haven't any idea of any of that would be useful but maybe if there's no illness he just doesn't like your food or your technique? Seems as if it was a combination of the two for me :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    Rounded fish are fat/overfed fish. You have to remember that processed fish food contains a lot more nutrients than what the fish can get in the wild, where that single flake or pellet would be substantially more than they get in a single day. There are periods of plenty and the fish will gorge themselves in the wild, but there are also times of little food. Once they have rounded stomachs, stop feeding. Having a half full stomach is good for the rest of the day. They have lower body temperatures than we do so they require less food, and many do not exert the same amount of energy foraging as their wild counterpart. In general, people tend to overfeed high quality foods (pellets and frozen) to already adult fish. Feeding them every other day for one feeding is generally enough, assuming everyone gets half a stomach full.

I wouldn't worry about breeding females who do not eat for a week. They will catch up back in weight in no time. If you are not trying to breed, feed the fish less. Too much feeding leads to conditioning, and doesn't necessarily require frozen foods. Too much conditioning leads to less weight overall. They do not need treats. The only fish that I ever feed frozen foods to are those that I am trying to grow quickly in the first year or those that do not eat pellets. After one year, I reduce feeding to every other day.

I generally strive to half a full stomach for each fish and portion the food accordingly. I use this visual to make my estimate.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks to all for your comments.

I feed only what the fish eat in 30 seconds. Well, the pellets the fish chew on, but they are taken within 30 secs. So all my fish are eating very well. I suppose their stomachs are rounded at some point everyday, at least the juvies angels in my 120g. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't underfeeding, thanks to your comments, I know I'm not.

My breeder females who look thinner have always been thinner. They eat well, but lady so many eggs they look lime they need lots of food after. I'll try my best to feed them less, but they always breed and I can't move fish around at this point until I get that 120g in order.

As for my EB ram, @mermaidwannabe I do suspect internal parasites, predominately callamanus worms in my 120g. Luckily, I've not taken any fish from the tank to share with my other tanks, so hopefully this is the end of this charade.

Thanks for the fish anatomy pic, that's very helpful for a lot of things.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 11-30-2017 at 07:18 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oh and btw, since I've noticed my EB ram wasting, I've been keeping a good eye watching him eat. He eats two or three bloodworms at a time or one or two pellets depending on pellet size. After he chews he comes back up for more. Lately I've been giving him an extra plate, and probably overfeeding my other fish in the process, but that's just because I'm trying hard to get some weight on him before the dewormer arrives.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor
    Too much feeding leads to conditioning, and doesn't necessarily require frozen foods. Too much conditioning leads to less weight overall.
    Agreed. So I can stop my angels from breeding if I stop feeding as much? Then when things calm down with my showtank, can I condition them again to breed?

When my friend overfed my tanks two years ago, I came home to some dead fish in some tanks, I had to do major cleanups for weeks, but I came home to four angel spawns lol.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    I do not have a definitive answer for you, as I am no expert, but I do have an opinion.
    You are an experienced keeper who keeps a steady, meticulous watch on your fish. I would (personally) trust that your observations are accurate and believe that your inclinations tend to ring true.

So, it would be my guess that you are in the habit of feeding just the right amounts, over time, to your various fish.
    Thanks Rivers, that is very kind of you to say. I tend to doubt myself sometimes though. This has been most comforting. I don't think anyone can give a definitive answer, as you say, I must know my fish by now the best! I knew it would be a difficult thing to answer, but all your responses has given me a good idea of how much I should be feeding, especially for the breeding angels who I am not purposely breeding at this time.

I just thought I'd mention for fun, although I'm not growing out babies until I figure out what the issue in my showtank is, (a big tank is a lot of work to treat), my male platinum and female gold pearlscale pair finally have wrigglers. I accidentally left Tyne light on all night the first night after the spawn. The male is notorious for eating the eggs when the light goes out, so I was very surprised to see they were still there the next day. Then I noticed the light was set to stay on and realized why. The next day, the light was out for a minute this run and he started eating them. I turned the light back on, and he stopped. So I've been keeping any ambient light on the tank at night after day 2 and it worked! With a dim light on all night, the female gold pearlscale has been able to keep him away. If I didn't have any issues with my showtank, I would have moved him to see if she would raise the babies, since she used to with another mate. I'm hoping this way he at least finally gets it and will for the first time see babies swimming around. He's more than two years old and never got it lol! But it's interesting how he always eats the eggs when the light goes out. Weird fishes.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Agreed. So I can stop my angels from breeding if I stop feeding as much? Then when things calm down with my showtank, can I condition them again to breed?

When my friend overfed my tanks two years ago, I came home to some dead fish in some tanks, I had to do major cleanups for weeks, but I came home to four angel spawns lol.
    I would slowly reduce the quantity fed over time, and find the right medium where your angels are not breeding. It might be as simple as feeding 1 less feeding to less food per feeding.