· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Ph Fluctuation

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For doing a fine job with your first tank. - Slaphppy7   

Default Ph Fluctuation

0 Not allowed!
    Hi. I have a 75g freshwater tank that has been set up for about two months. I transferred everything from my 36g when I got this tank. 75g has a fluval 406 Canister and is not planted. Water temp 74f. My water parameters have been stable except for an ammonia spike a few weeks ago which was solved by adding a spraybar for more surface agitation. My Ph is normally 7.4 using the API Master Test Kit High range solution. Last week it was slightly lower, but I was not concerned. I just tested the water and everything was good except my Ph did not even register with the high end solution. I tested it with the Ph solution and it tested 6.8. When I do my weekly water changes, I refill with a ratio of 3 tap(primed) to 1 RO. My tap water ph tested at 7.6. My Kh normally takes 2 to 3 drops to turn from blue to yellow; today it only took 1 drop. My Gh has always been off the scale, but today I tested it and it took 11 drops to turn from orange to green making my Gh/Kh ppm 214.8 using the API solutions. I realize Ph stability relies on stable Kh. I have done nothing different to my tank since adding a spraybar about 1 month ago; no new fish, plant etc. I currently have 8 Glolight Tetras, 8 black Neon Tetras, and 4 Peppered Corys. I am waiting on my quarantine tank to cycle so I can get some more fish. What would cause my Ph to change so much and how concerned should I be for the health of my fish?
    I Am A Freshwater Fish In A Saltwater World
    Be The Rainbow In Someone Else's Cloud

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hello Kory...

Unless you keep and breed rare fish species, you don't need to be concerned with the chemical makeup of your tap water. Fish from the local pet store are likely on the same public water supply as you. All the pet store does is remove and replace most of the water in their tanks weekly, so the water chemistry stays steady. This is all the fish need to be healthy. The problems can start if you try for a specific water chemistry. This is nearly impossible to maintain and can cause sudden changes in the water. This is generally bad for fish.

ot

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    The conversion of ammonia to nitrate naturally causes the KH to go down overtime. You will see less of a PH swing if your KH is at least 4 degrees or higher, my preference being higher. You can either add potassium bicarbonate or do more frequent water changes to keep the KH up.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For doing a fine job with your first tank. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Which would be better? Using the potassium bicarbonate or more frequent water changes? Not sure I want to start adding things to my tank unless absolutely necessary. I am worried about my Corys. I know they do not like drastic Ph changes
    I Am A Freshwater Fish In A Saltwater World
    Be The Rainbow In Someone Else's Cloud

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KoryKat View Post
    Which would be better? Using the potassium bicarbonate or more frequent water changes? Not sure I want to start adding things to my tank unless absolutely necessary. I am worried about my Corys. I know they do not like drastic Ph changes
    Neither will change the PH drastically. Also, it's drastic changes in TDS that you should worry about more than PH changes. A drastic change in TDS can lead to osmotic shock. A simple $15 TDS meter from Amazon will be enough to measure the changes.

You can start simply by doing more frequent water changes, like every 2-3 days, and seeing what the KH is within 24-48 hours.