· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

Default Horrible Wildfires in California ...

1 Not allowed!
    Have wiped the town of Paradise off the map. The death toll is close to 30. It all happened so fast, people didn't have time to get out. Burned alive in their cars or on foot as they tried to flee ... Forest management in my home state is atrocious, and that's being charitable. Environmentalists keep suing whenever the Forest Service tries to do its job and clear out dead wood and other fire hazards. Afraid they'll upset some "delicate" habitat or displace some little creature who most likely would just relocate elsewhere. Evidently, little rodents and little birds are more valuable than human life and property. The folks down there are paying the ultimate price.

This is just horrible! And that's only one burning town. Firefighters are overwhelmed. Just not enough manpower to go around.

Every year this keeps happening. It doesn't have to. And that's the biggest tragedy of all!

Prayers, please, for those unfortunate folks ...
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    It is horrible and so very tragic. Everything is so dry right now in California- we need rain desperately.
    The smoke is so thick in Sacramento that it has seeped into the house. Cant get away from it.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To new fish! - Slaphppy7   Second round ;) - Slaphppy7   It's a hot toddy. - Taurus   Here's to the "blue ribbon" tetra! - Slaphppy7   Hope you had a happy birthday! We are both March babies :) - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    The smoke was even thick this far down. I spent a year in Chico so I'm familiar with Paradise, thoughts and prayers are with the families of those lost in this terrible fire.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Disaster !
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Very sad indeed.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discusluv View Post
    It is horrible and so very tragic. Everything is so dry right now in California- we need rain desperately.
    The smoke is so thick in Sacramento that it has seeped into the house. Cant get away from it.
    Is there some way you can cover your tanks so the smoke doesn't get into their filtration systems?

Proper forest management would go a long way toward minimizing the frequency and severity of these wildfires. But there's so much interference in their efforts that they really can't do their job.

Then, there are the arsonists who deliberately set them. I haven't heard of any in these cases, but it has happened before, plenty of times.

Even privately owned forests can be managed for fire safety. Most folks living in those wilder rural areas know to clear out brush from around their homes and create substantial fire breaks, and most of them do it. They also know to clear out dead trees and undergrowth. Trouble is, even if you do certain things on your own property, the government agencies and environmental groups can go after you and sue or penalize you. Seems folks have fewer and fewer rights, anymore -- even fewer private property rights.

I'm all for protecting habitats, but there has to be some common sense involved. There's no excuse to interfere with the Forest Service when they try to manage public lands. This environmental protection thing has gotten way out of hand.

Unfortunately, I don't see things changing for the better any time soon ...
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I've been watching some of the reports of these fires and it's hard to even imagine the size of the areas being consumed and the enormity of the destruction. In addition to the tragedy of the lives lost, I also feel for those firefighters and their families waiting for them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I saw the devastating images, my thoughts are with you and everyone feeling the effects. So so horrible, I have no words.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Unfortunately, the situation with fires in California is not as simple as "improper Forest management." I wish it was this simple- then then would be a direct solution for us to work on to eradicate the danger.

Some facts:
    1. Both the Camp Fire and Woolsey Fires did not start on Forest Service lands but began in unincorporated lands called "wild-land-urban interfaces"- places where communities are close to undeveloped areas, making it easy for fires to move from forest ( in this case, not in lands managed by the Forest Service) grasslands to neighborhoods.
    2 Most of the forest in California is Federally owned- 53% -not state owned. The rest is owned privately, by corporations, or native Americans. The State of California owns less than 3% of Forest land.
    3. I was married to a man whose family worked logging for 3 generations. The first two generations worked for the FEDERAL Forest service who were the biggest abusers of Forest Lands. The FEDERAL Forest Service clear -cutted forest service lands as a rule from the 70's- the early 90's. They were the only entity allowed to do this. Since the early 90's- clear cutting was ended- thank goodness.
    4. California has spent 256 million in this year alone to combat the risk of fire danger/to fight fires. Now, our venerable leader has stated he will withhold federal funds to fight fires on federal lands. Huh? Does that even make sense to you?
    5. And, the dying timber industry would love to get the go-ahead to do selective-cutting on federally owned forest service land.

Just a little context- because we cant really see the facts from the fictions without it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I feel so badly for all of those in Ca dealing with this, and the families of those who have been directly impacted by this.
    @discusluv, great information.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore