· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Lol, common sense isn't as common as it should be! - mommy1   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   

Default Black Moor w/ Cloudy Eyes

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all, it's been a while!

I have a roughly 12 year old black moor that has cloudy eye and I wanted to know if this is typical with old age or if I can clear it up with improved conditions. Iíve had this fish for about 7 or 8 years (he was at least 5 years old when I got him) and he had been kept in an un-heated 90 gallon tank in my garage, dealing with temperature fluctuations and irregular water changes (20% to 30% every few weeks or so)

About a month ago I moved my goldfish to my living room aquarium (also 90 gallons) as this tank was getting a lot more attention and I wanted to put them where I would be more encouraged to do more water changes. Since then Iíve been doing 70% to 80% water changes every week. (All of my tanks are fully cycled as confirmed by API test kits and years of fish keeping, they traded places with my peacock/hap tank).

The pH from the tap and the pH in the tank has always been very close (7.2 to 7.4) and I watch the temperature like a hawk as itís refilling to make sure that doesnít vary more than 2 degrees.

There were two goldfish in the tank, the black moor and a calico oranda. The oranda is showing no signs of unhealth and both are about the size of an adult fist, maybe a little bigger.

I will do a water test tonight to check for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, the filter is a sump style filter thatís built into the back of the tank itself. Iím not sure what the gph of the pump is, but the intake is pretty swift.

Hereís a couple pictures. Thanks for any insight!
    Flag.jpgFlag eye.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    The pictured fish is a telescopic eye goldfish, not black moor. Usually eye problems are from poor water conditions, if you keep up with the water changes clean water usually is the best remedy.

If it doesn't clear up, he may have damaged his eyes and a bacterial infection could have set in. You would need to research a good antibiotic in that case.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_...html#Cloudyeye
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Lol, common sense isn't as common as it should be! - mommy1   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I say "black moor" because he was originally black, then lost all the black as he matured which I understand to be pretty typical. Perhaps a true black moor wouldn't ever lose the black, but that's neither here nor there :)

Thanks for the reply! I'll keep up with the heavy water changes otherwise antibiotics may be the solution. I'm assuming I would need to put him in a quarantine tank if I do treat, as I wouldn't want to kill bacteria in the established tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah a lot of the "black" Moors tend to lighten with age, but usually retain some black. Yours is a beautiful orange.

I would QT for that reason as well as medicating a 90 gallon is a lot of tank to medicate. Would be less expensive and more effective in a smaller tank. You may get recommendations to salt the water-I don't salt water for any sick fish. Our official medication expert is @Rocksor. If your goldie doesn't improve I would ask his advise as to the most effective next steps.

Some other causes of cloudy eyes are from damaging them on a hard surface, in that case bacterial infection sets in, but they don't usually damage both eyes at once. Also can happen with low pH-but that's not the case with yours.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore