Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Calculators
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Toronto, Canada (eh!)
    Posts
    116

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    For saving a betta in need - Boundava   you deserve a medal :o) - fishmommie   Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7   

    Default Fluval Flora 14.5 gal set up!


    0 Not allowed!
    Hey folks,

    I'm working on a new tank that will be my zen tank, unlike the 20Gal that was set up and now has a pair of young Apisto Borelli - they're adorable and I love them, but they're not my "zen"

    So, off to the LFS last week and I saw that they had a few sales going on for some of their Fluval kits, the guy I was chatting with sold me on the bit pricier but way nicer looking and better light and filtration Fluval Flora, instead of the Fluval Flex. I'ts an Aquacear 20 HOB, and I've already fitted it with a sponge pre-filter (planning on shrimp!)

    So I've started to kit it up, and salvaged some cut offs from some older tanks, and then topped it up with a few new plants- plus I tried my hardest to find a Buddha but, no where near me actually sold a decent statue that fit my desired aesthetics, size of tank and no bubble stone - I settled on an aquarium deco that will suit me nicely once plants grow in.

    https://www.instagram.com/p/B9NS-DwjFnc/

    I'm ignoring my hubby's desire for me to seed it with media from the other tanks; I want the plants to get established before I add anything - I suspect that if I'm not watching he may sneak it in and cycle it for me so that I can stock it faster

    Speaking of stocking, trying to figure out what I want to put in it.

    I originally wanted to add Kuhli Loaches - because I absolutely love the little noodles - but from research, they may not enjoy the tank as it's not the biggest footprint - its 15in x 15in x 15in sigh one day I'll nail all requirements and get them.

    I plan to get Cherries in there, and maybe Ghost Shrimp too -- I read that both will breed in FW tanks easily -- Hubby is excited to maybe use my tank as the mothership and send out shrimp to all the other tanks eventually.... (He thinks in very fast forward at times..)

    For fish (other than Kuhlis) I'm torn between something like a halfmoon betta (or similar), or a pair (or trio) of Honey Gourami (my fav gourami) - but I'm trying to think if I should add something else too?
    Meet the tanks:
    75 Gal Community tank
    30 Gal Axolotl tank
    29 Gal Apisto. Borelli tank
    15 Gal Cube - Zen planted tank

    Hubby's 75 Gal - cycling - planned Mbuna tank

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    NW IL
    Posts
    17,081

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentis View Post
    Hey folks,

    I'm working on a new tank that will be my zen tank, unlike the 20Gal that was set up and now has a pair of young Apisto Borelli - they're adorable and I love them, but they're not my "zen"

    So, off to the LFS last week and I saw that they had a few sales going on for some of their Fluval kits, the guy I was chatting with sold me on the bit pricier but way nicer looking and better light and filtration Fluval Flora, instead of the Fluval Flex. I'ts an Aquacear 20 HOB, and I've already fitted it with a sponge pre-filter (planning on shrimp!)

    So I've started to kit it up, and salvaged some cut offs from some older tanks, and then topped it up with a few new plants- plus I tried my hardest to find a Buddha but, no where near me actually sold a decent statue that fit my desired aesthetics, size of tank and no bubble stone - I settled on an aquarium deco that will suit me nicely once plants grow in.

    https://www.instagram.com/p/B9NS-DwjFnc/

    I'm ignoring my hubby's desire for me to seed it with media from the other tanks; I want the plants to get established before I add anything - I suspect that if I'm not watching he may sneak it in and cycle it for me so that I can stock it faster

    Speaking of stocking, trying to figure out what I want to put in it.

    I originally wanted to add Kuhli Loaches - because I absolutely love the little noodles - but from research, they may not enjoy the tank as it's not the biggest footprint - its 15in x 15in x 15in sigh one day I'll nail all requirements and get them.

    I plan to get Cherries in there, and maybe Ghost Shrimp too -- I read that both will breed in FW tanks easily -- Hubby is excited to maybe use my tank as the mothership and send out shrimp to all the other tanks eventually.... (He thinks in very fast forward at times..)

    For fish (other than Kuhlis) I'm torn between something like a halfmoon betta (or similar), or a pair (or trio) of Honey Gourami (my fav gourami) - but I'm trying to think if I should add something else too?
    Will be too small for shrimp, betta and 2-3 gouramis. Also being a cube; unless you get 2 female gouramis, a male/female pair will harass each other in a tank with that footprint. I will say that 75%+ of bettas out there will snack on your shrimp too, not to be a debbie downer.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes



    75 Gourami Tank

    Fish Room



    DebinWhitmore

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Toronto, Canada (eh!)
    Posts
    116

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    For saving a betta in need - Boundava   you deserve a medal :o) - fishmommie   Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7   

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Will be too small for shrimp, betta and 2-3 gouramis. Also being a cube; unless you get 2 female gouramis, a male/female pair will harass each other in a tank with that footprint. I will say that 75%+ of bettas out there will snack on your shrimp too, not to be a debbie downer.
    Yeah it was either the Betta or the Gourami, but now I'm leaning more on the betta as I already know that if I have more than 1 it's a death match. I was figuring that the betta would more than likely having snack-accidents on the shrimp, its why I planned out the tank to have the Limnophila Sessiliflora as a big poofy plant for shrimp to hide in, and the decoration is hollow on the inside with Java fern popping out of the holes which I'm hoping would be enough for blocking any predatory fishing.

    I was also wondering if a small number of Galaxy rasbora/ Celestial pearl danio would fit the tank well too with a betta friend and shrimp.
    Meet the tanks:
    75 Gal Community tank
    30 Gal Axolotl tank
    29 Gal Apisto. Borelli tank
    15 Gal Cube - Zen planted tank

    Hubby's 75 Gal - cycling - planned Mbuna tank

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Southeast Texas
    Posts
    52,107

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

    Default


    2 Not allowed!
    If that was my tank, I'd go with nano fish only, no betta....I've had my share of rescuing them (thanks to my daughter, lol) and they really do limit your stocking options, because they are so unpredictable in behavior once they settle into a tank and "claim it as their own"

    If you go nano fish only, you could certainly keep CPD's, shrimp, and even an interesting snail or two, easily
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Toronto, Canada (eh!)
    Posts
    116

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    For saving a betta in need - Boundava   you deserve a medal :o) - fishmommie   Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7   

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    If that was my tank, I'd go with nano fish only, no betta....I've had my share of rescuing them (thanks to my daughter, lol) and they really do limit your stocking options, because they are so unpredictable in behavior once they settle into a tank and "claim it as their own"

    If you go nano fish only, you could certainly keep CPD's, shrimp, and even an interesting snail or two, easily
    Ok, that's some sage advice - something I'll have to think hard about. I didn't realize that they could be that much of a jerk, the one I had about 10 years ago I remember it being ok with the Neons it was with... but that was also my first time I ever cycled a tank properly so I may not have noticed any issues, though my little rescue that I saved a few years back was a bit of a jerk (but I put that towards him not feeling well)

    Is there a difference in behaviors if you go male or female? I've seen a beta sorority tank at my LFS - not that I want to do that with my little project, but I did find it curious.

    Is it also tank size? lets say, I tore down my 30G Axolotl tank - would a male Betta be less prone to being a jerk if there's that much space for any other inhabitant to get around?


    I'm having trouble with one little fish.. meanwhile my hubby is starting to research how to keep a Cuban Cichlid happy & healthy (species only tank more than likely...) - his family is from Cuba, he had no idea Cuba had cichlids (let alone freshwater fish), so he's tickled pink about the idea of keeping something from his heritage.
    Meet the tanks:
    75 Gal Community tank
    30 Gal Axolotl tank
    29 Gal Apisto. Borelli tank
    15 Gal Cube - Zen planted tank

    Hubby's 75 Gal - cycling - planned Mbuna tank

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Southeast Texas
    Posts
    52,107

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    Females are usually a bit less aggressive than males, but not always...and tank size probably won't change the behavior, I have a betta in my 40B community tank, he leaves the other fish alone (probably overwhelmed with the sheer number of fish in there), but I know the little bugger goes after my baby shrimp, I've seen him stalking them, lol....after he's gone, and the other betta in a 5.5G I have, no more betta for me
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Toronto, Canada (eh!)
    Posts
    116

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    For saving a betta in need - Boundava   you deserve a medal :o) - fishmommie   Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    If I can pick at people's brains for this I'd apprecate the clarification!

    So we're on day 3 of the fishless cycle for my little tank, and I decided to do my quick Tetra dip stick test kit to see how things are looking - it showed up NitrAtes on the stick. I thought that was curious, so i broke out my big API FW master kit and started playing the chemist.

    So I confirmed that my Ammonia has dropped a touch from 4ppm to between 1-2ppm, and my NitrAtes were indeed showing at about 10-20ppm in the tank.

    I then got more curious and ran the NitrItes and I ran a straight tap water as well to confirm colour:
    yhoo2ha6jgk41.jpg

    So to my eyes it's showing some NitrItes too? It's a very minor colour shift, and I sat with the tube the entire time in case I were to miss anything (I read that sticky in cycling)


    My main questions is, could the higher NitrAtes be from the plants, ferts and the substrate?

    I have mostly inert substrate but I did want to try a partially dirted tank so I have the back half of the tank with a thin, 1cm layer of soil that I sterilized in the oven for a good 45min - its under some pea gravel, and then sand ontop. And on the Hubby's insistence, there's a flourish tab in the sand at the front of the tank for the crypts.

    I recently turned my lights down and cut out some time as I'm noticing a potential greenish tint to the water (not 100% certain, it could be light reflecting off the green plants onto the white background)
    I am also running a small CO2 canister - it's dropped the pH by a little, was 7.2ish, now 6.8ish - running 3-4 bubbles per 10 seconds.
    Last edited by Argentis; 03-03-2020 at 01:39 PM.
    Meet the tanks:
    75 Gal Community tank
    30 Gal Axolotl tank
    29 Gal Apisto. Borelli tank
    15 Gal Cube - Zen planted tank

    Hubby's 75 Gal - cycling - planned Mbuna tank

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    NW IL
    Posts
    17,081

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    The larger the tank the better it is as the betta can have his/her space (the girls can be bigger jerks than the boys). I have had many bettas in my 75 gallons with many community fish and they do well (just avoid fish with similar colors as they can be picked on and vice versa). I find it best to stock the tank first, then add the betta last. Just an FYI, the bettas today are not the bettas of 10 years ago. They live about 2 years now and often develop issues like tumors, curved spines, and dropsy. I have had bettas for many years, keeping them 5-7 years in the past. Any new betta I get (regardless where; chain store or online "breeder") they don't live past 2 years. I have has to euthanize many due to their conditions as well. Its sad...
    Last edited by Boundava; 03-03-2020 at 01:46 PM.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes



    75 Gourami Tank

    Fish Room



    DebinWhitmore

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    NW IL
    Posts
    17,081

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentis View Post
    If I can pick at people's brains for this I'd apprecate the clarification!

    So we're on day 3 of the fishless cycle for my little tank, and I decided to do my quick Tetra dip stick test kit to see how things are looking - it showed up NitrAtes on the stick. I thought that was curious, so i broke out my big API FW master kit and started playing the chemist.

    So I confirmed that my Ammonia has dropped a touch from 4ppm to between 1-2ppm, and my NitrAtes were indeed showing at about 10-20ppm in the tank.

    I then got more curious and ran the NitrItes and I ran a straight tap water as well to confirm colour:
    yhoo2ha6jgk41.jpg

    So to my eyes it's showing some NitrItes too? It's a very minor colour shift, and I sat with the tube the entire time in case I were to miss anything (I read that sticky in cycling)


    My main questions is, could the higher NitrAtes be from the plants, ferts and the substrate?

    I have mostly inert substrate but I did want to try a partially dirted tank so I have the back half of the tank with a thin, 1cm layer of soil that I sterilized in the oven for a good 45min - its under some pea gravel, and then sand ontop. And on the Hubby's insistence, there's a flourish tab in the sand at the front of the tank for the crypts.

    I recently turned my lights down and cut out some time as I'm noticing a potential greenish tint to the water (not 100% certain, it could be light reflecting off the green plants onto the white background)
    I am also running a small CO2 canister - it's dropped the pH by a little, was 7.2ish, now 6.8ish - running 3-4 bubbles per 10 seconds.
    Dirt will release ammonia and this may be why you are seeing nitrates as well, the dirt may have nitrates from the organic matter-or possibly any fertilizer in the soil. What type of soil did you use?
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes



    75 Gourami Tank

    Fish Room



    DebinWhitmore

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Toronto, Canada (eh!)
    Posts
    116

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    For saving a betta in need - Boundava   you deserve a medal :o) - fishmommie   Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    The larger the tank the better it is as the betta can have his/her space (the girls can be bigger jerks than the boys). I have had many bettas in my 75 gallons with many community fish and they do well (just avoid fish with similar colors as they can be picked on and vice versa). I find it best to stock the tank first, then add the betta last. Just an FYI, the bettas today are not the bettas of 10 years ago. They live about 2 years now and often develop issues like tumors, curved spines, and dropsy. I have had bettas for many years, keeping them 5-7 years in the past. Any new betta I get (regardless where; chain store or online "breeder") they don't live past 2 years. I have has to euthanize many due to their conditions as well. Its sad...
    Oh shoot... so they've gotten to the point that they've gone and started to self destruct... is that all types? I mean, would a plakat betta fare better than a halfmoon you think? or about the same for health?

    Now I'm really starting to rethink the Betta plan... what could be my little jewel for this tank..

    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Dirt will release ammonia and this may be why you are seeing nitrates as well, the dirt may have nitrates from the organic matter-or possibly any fertilizer in the soil. What type of soil did you use?
    Pulled it out from one big container, when I was repotting a plant - its a potting soil & topsoil mix (Not sure on brands, has been in use for the past few years, but I never put chemical ferts into the ground)- I did sift out any larger chunks, so a fine powdery soil was what I used. it pulled out chunks of moss, virmiculite and other little bits of debris.
    Last edited by Argentis; 03-03-2020 at 02:20 PM.
    Meet the tanks:
    75 Gal Community tank
    30 Gal Axolotl tank
    29 Gal Apisto. Borelli tank
    15 Gal Cube - Zen planted tank

    Hubby's 75 Gal - cycling - planned Mbuna tank

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •