· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

Default tail fin nipping.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm trying to decide if I need to rehome one fish. Tank has mainly cichlids from lake Malwali, but there are a couple that are from lake Victoria. So far they have all gotten along except for my albino flame back. His tail fin is being nipped badly. He seems to hide more than the others. With the exception of one of my peacocks, he is as big or bigger than the others in the tank.

i have never witnessed the nipping going on or even prolonged chasing so i don't know who is doing it. Can I do something with the tank to prevent this or do I need to rehome him?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

2 Not allowed!
    You may need to re-home depending on the severity of the nipped tail, and the dynamics in the tank.

Tail nipping suggests sustained 1-way aggression (or worse, 1-way aggression involving multiple aggressors vs single target).

Unless they possess equivalent or greater aggression potential, all non-mbuna cichlids cohabitating a predominantly mbuna tank are at risk to find themselves at the bottom of the tank's pecking order.

If there is minor caudal fin damage, proceed with caution.

If it is major caudal fin damage and very sudden then re-home as soon as possible.

This is a female msobo, had a full normal caudal tail in the morning and didn't have one when I came home from work (pic taken several days after the re-home):
    01_msobo_fem.jpg

Tail fins do grow back.
    (Ironically, she was one of the most aggressive fish in the tank, but was the apparent subject of a retaliation while she was mouthbrooding, a state which pretty much rendered her defenseless).
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I have no experience with African cichlids or "more aggressive" cichlids, but my male EB ram ate the female's caudal fin like the pic of kaybee's msobo in QT. I came home to this
    20151126_215419.jpg
    The tank was a bit small, 10g, so I learned another lesson and had to separate them. She developed fin-rot (the bacteria ate her tail fin to her body) and even then with major WCs and aquarium salt her caudal tail regrow fully in two weeks. Here is her story if your interested
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...601&highlight=

I found taking pictures of the tail daily to compare regrowth rate helpful, you are on your way once you see regrowth.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    The tail fin is not as far gone as your photos. There is still some of the transparent fin. She comes out for feeding and I've seen her chase another fish. She has been isolating herself in an area that the rest of my fish rarely go into. I am worried about fin rot. When I googled fin rot, I read one of the pieces of info that said to hold the fish in your wet hand and apply medication. I think that would cause a tremendous amount of stress to all of them.

I wondered if the tail fin would grow back. I keep a log on my fish, water tests etc. so I can keep on top of things. She is spending most of her time in an area of the tank that the other fish rarely go to, even to feed, so I can drop her pellets in and they go right to her without her having to fight over food. I'm hoping that will give her time to heal.

Thanks for the photos. Those were helpful. i'll keep an eye on her and see if there is any change. I appreciate the help. I like the fish and really don't want to rehome her unless I have to.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaybee View Post
    You may need to re-home depending on the severity of the nipped tail, and the dynamics in the tank.

Tail nipping suggests sustained 1-way aggression (or worse, 1-way aggression involving multiple aggressors vs single target).

Unless they possess equivalent or greater aggression potential, all non-mbuna cichlids cohabitating a predominantly mbuna tank are at risk to find themselves at the bottom of the tank's pecking order.

If there is minor caudal fin damage, proceed with caution.

If it is major caudal fin damage and very sudden then re-home as soon as possible.

This is a female msobo, had a full normal caudal tail in the morning and didn't have one when I came home from work (pic taken several days after the re-home):
    01_msobo_fem.jpg

Tail fins do grow back.
    (Ironically, she was one of the most aggressive fish in the tank, but was the apparent subject of a retaliation while she was mouthbrooding, a state which pretty much rendered her defenseless).
    I found the culprit. The fin nipper is a yellow Acei . The flameback seems to be the only target.
    He seems to have backed off on the tail nipping though, only chasing, and the flameback is growing his tail back.

The yellow Acei seems to be drawn to my blue orchid cichlid. He tries to keep other fish away from the blue orchid except for both being cichlids, they look nothing alike. The blue orchid has a fuller body, while the Acei is more stream lined. Their color is not the same either. The blue orchid has not colored out yet and is a light charcoal grey, while the Acei is a dark yellow with upper and lower mm of the tail fin is almost black. I don't know what sex the orchid is, maybe someone out there can tell earlier. In pictures of adult blue orchids, the male seems to have several egg spots on the ventral fin Mine has three. His dorsal fin is also shaper caudally than the females.

The Acei is treating the blue orchid like I would expect a fish to act toward its mate. Territorial, guarding and not letting other fish near. They are still juveniles, no bigger than a couple inches, so I doubt they are breeding age.

Does anyone who has blue orchids tell at this age males from females? Do the youngsters practice behavehers at a young age?
    Thanks