· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

more tetra's - Lady Hobbs   sorry about your tetra's - Lady Hobbs   and a friend for the others - Lady Hobbs   

Default I don't know what's wrong... fish dying

0 Not allowed!
    In this post, I am talking about a 20 gallon tank, with (as of writing this) 6 bentosi tetras, 5 neon tetras, a cardinal tetra, 2 trilineatus cories, 3 amano shrimp and 1 nerite snail. AQadvisor says this is 80% stocked. This tank is an upgrade from a 10 gallon and has been running a few months but the media is from the previous tank, and it had been running for almost 2 years. Up until yesterday, I have lost, over the period of about six months, 4 cories and 3 gouramis, all without any kind of warning sign... just woke up one day and they were dead (one at a time, sporadically over the months). I always test my parameters when these deaths happen and they've never been off, the worst I've had is ~30ppm of nitrates and that was only once, the rest of the time nitrates were under 15 and ammonia/nitrites are always 0.

So, cut to yesterday - I had to euthanize a neon tetra because it was doing very badly and had all the symptoms of neon tetra disease (It had a patch of skin with no blue or red, its spine had kinked and there were a couple of bumps on its back, it was super skinny and not able to swim well, and it was not eating or schooling). This came on VERY quickly... I only noticed maybe 2-3 days ago that it was looking a tad sickly, whatever was wrong with it progressed very fast.

Now a second one has it by the looks of his body, nearly overnight he’s gotten a bit deformed and he’s losing colour (also a patch of skin where there should be blue and red). Two of the other neons look like they’re getting tail rot, but do not have any discolouration.

Also this morning, I lost a bentosi tetra (who up until now have been completely fine, and the dead one had no symptoms of anything just yesterday), and now, one of my cories is on its side, gasping for air.

My parameters current are good: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates ~15 (but it’s water change day tomorrow so those will be gone).

I don’t know what to do, or if I should dose some medication, or? I’m baffled. There seems to be multiple issues but I have no idea where to start. The only medication I currently have is Paraguard, but I can swing by the pet store tomorrow if need be.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear of all of these losses

What is the temp of the tank? How often do you perform water changes?...Filter cleaning schedule?

What kind of filter(s) on the tank?...do you run an airstone?

When was the last time you added new fish, and were things OK up until then?
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 12-14-2018 at 04:02 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

more tetra's - Lady Hobbs   sorry about your tetra's - Lady Hobbs   and a friend for the others - Lady Hobbs   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Sorry to hear of all of these losses

What is the temp of the tank? How often do you perform water changes?...Filter cleaning schedule?

What kind of filter(s) on the tank?...do you run an airstone?

When was the last time you added new fish, and were things OK up until then?
    Hi :)

The temp is ~79F. I try to do a WC every week but its often every two weeks lately because I've been super busy with school. I generally only clean the filter if it looks like its getting dirty, so once every few months, I guess? I test my water weekly, more often if there seems to be a problem.

I have an Aquaclear 50 HOB on the tank, no airstone.

Several months ago the bentos tetras and a few cories were added, and they were fine. I tried a pearl gourami, and she died after a few weeks, then a betta, and he died after a few weeks too... The cories were slowly dropping off one by one over the months, always one at a time, and always seemingly completely at random. I added the neons and a couple more cories (to replace the ones that had a died) a few weeks ago, after a 4 week quarantine in which none of them were showing any signs of being sick or having anything wrong at all.

All this time the 3 amano shrimp and nerite snail have been completely unaffected.

I have no idea what to make of this. When it was a ten gallon, I had a school of rummy nose tetras and a betta in there for two years and they were all completely fine and healthy. Shortly before I upgraded the ten, the betta died, I think due to old age... he was around 4 at that point, and I moved the rummy noses to my 30 gallon so they had more room. So I got a couple of thick-lipped gouramis (they were sold to me as honeys, I didnt find out they were TL until after). They seemed fine for a couple of weeks and then they died. I upgraded to the 20 gallon and added the bentos tetras right after that, along with a few cories, on the old media so the tank was already cycled (i.e. it was just bigger and with new substrate).
    Last edited by Danifins; 12-14-2018 at 05:13 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    @Rockor is our resident fish disease expert, hopefully he'll have a look here and offer you some good advice

Read about NTD (neon tetra disease) here, "may" be the culprit, but I'm no expert and have very little experience with fish ailments

https://www.thesprucepets.com/neon-t...isease-1378484

I wouldn't add any more fish until you get the problem resolved...also, for the general health of the tank, try to get back to weekly WC's, and clean your filter monthly

You do use a liquid test kit to measure params, correct?

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah that’s one of the articles I was reading yesterday that leads me to believe that NTD is the problem (or at least one of the problems). I have no intention of adding new fish, no worries. What I had in there (the two types of tetras with cories) was supposed to be my final stocking anyway, maybe with a gourami or betta added... but obviously I won’t try to replenish anything now until I figure wtf is happening. When the gouramis and cories died before I thought maybe they were just weak strains or something (you know how fish are often overbred for the pet industry) but since I’ve had three deaths in 48 hours in addition to the old deaths clearly there’s something else happening.

I didn’t realize I was supposed to clean the filter that often, thanks for the heads up! Also yeah I am definitely going back to weekly WCs, it was only the last little while while school was insane that I missed a couple.

And yes, I use the liquid master test kit :)

Also the Cory died :(

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for the additional death...something bad is definitely happening in the tank

Wish I could be of more help

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Sorry about the fish deaths, the only symptoms you see are to the neons, the other fish that died had no symptoms or markings?
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    @Slaphppy7
    That's okay, thank you for replying :)

@Boundava
    Yup, at least, none that I noticed. The gouramis were a bit reclusive before they died, but they were already shy so I didn't think much of it, and externally they looked fine and were still eating. The neon that's showing symptoms right now has a patch on his side where his red and blue have disappeared and he appears to be getting a bit thinner, but he's still eating and schooling with the others and doesn't appear to have any kinking or bumps (yet). The cory that died overnight didn't seem to have anything outwardly wrong either, I looked at it closely last night and this morning when I removed it, and it seemed fine (aside from being dead, of course)
    Last edited by Danifins; 12-15-2018 at 01:31 AM. Reason: choosing better words for coherence

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Hmph, that is odd and frustrating.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Now I lost another bentos tetra too. I’m so frustrated!!