· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Default Not eating and swalloed mouth

0 Not allowed!

Hi tis fish has stopped eating oday and his mouth swalloed. we ddint see any signs befor today.

Im not sure his kind just that hes a mbuna

ive rescued him about 3 mounths ago from a neglected tank, right now hes in a 120L tank alone ,with good filteration 100L/h WC every week 20% , temp 26C ,feeding novo rift by JBL

his poop seems fine as well

could it be that he layed eggs and took into his mouth even thoug his alone there?

if not do you know what is it and what to do?

thank you

0 Not allowed!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

1 Not allowed!
    Your mbuna (apparently a female metriaclima lombardoi, aka 'kenyi') is mouth-brooding unfertilized eggs.

Mbuna's will not eat during the mouth-brooding period which lasts about 3 weeks. After that time the eggs would be free swimming fry which are spat out. However in this instance the eggs will 'spoil' and she'll end up eating them or discarding them after sensing they're not fertile.

They are adapted for fasting for that period time (which could be up to 4 weeks in some cases), but I think she'll discard/consume them prior to that.

I'd offer her food every couple days to see if that motivates her.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaybee View Post
    Your mbuna (apparently a female metriaclima lombardoi, aka 'kenyi') is mouth-brooding unfertilized eggs.

Mbuna's will not eat during the mouth-brooding period which lasts about 3 weeks. After that time the eggs would be free swimming fry which are spat out. However in this instance the eggs will 'spoil' and she'll end up eating them or discarding them after sensing they're not fertile.

They are adapted for fasting for that period time (which could be up to 4 weeks in some cases), but I think she'll discard/consume them prior to that.

I'd offer her food every couple days to see if that motivates her.
    Thanks for the respond. So just to make sure, i assume you have exp with mbunas doing that even though they are alone?

0 Not allowed!
    Its been 2 weeks now, she is still with a swallowed mouth, i think its even more then it was. She is eating but less then she was befor it happened, what do you think? shouldent she spit the eggs by now?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

1 Not allowed!
    Unfertilized eggs are usually rejected/consumed within a few days so this is very odd.

With fertilized eggs, they develop into fry which grow a number of weeks. As they do so, the mother's mouth becomes even more full, which would be aligned with your observation "...i think its even more then it was".

Has this fish been in a solitary tank for the entire time that you have had it?

When mouth brooding fertilized eggs, the mom will rotate her batch periodically. Your fish seems to be doing that every now and then in the video.

Sometimes one can catch a glimpse inside the mouth and actually see the eggs (early on) they're orange...but when they become fry you can actually see their eyes. In your video at around the 0:50 mark, she kind of opens her mouth but I can't see the contents of her what she is carrying.

Maybe in person you can get a better look.

Over 10+ years ago I had a mbuna 'mouthbrood' imaginary eggs (maybe some sort of hormone or instinct glitch). I can't remember how long she did it but she eventually returned to eating fish food once she got hungry enough. But I don't recall that her mouth became more full over time.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SaveThemAll1 View Post
    ...She is eating but less then she was befor it happened...
    Sorry I must have missed this some how...but I noticed it after I posted my reply...mouthbrooding females don't eat, except maybe toward the very end of the mouthbrooding period (possibly acquiring food for her fry who would still be in her mouth?).

This fish is either mouthbrooding or believes she is mouthbrooding (I am still perplexed because unfertilized eggs would have gone bad by now). If she didn't have an extended buchal pouch and wasn't eating I would think maybe an illness, but she is definately exhibiting signs of mouthbrooding....except that she is still eating (less than before) and is the only mbuna in the tank...

0 Not allowed!
    she is alone in this tank ore then 4 mounts.. at the 2nd day of this i tried to look inside and i did see orange little balls...i just dont understand why its still like this,why didnt she throw them away already?

0 Not allowed!
    ive looked inside her mouth today and didnt see anything, im pretty sure her mouth is empty. i know that some fish has 2 pairs of jaws and i think that the inner one f her was closed when i opend her mouth, i wonder if theres somthing wrong with it , i tried to take pics but you dont see much in them..

theres seems to be some green "smush" inside.

Is there a chance that the egss rotten and it caused sime kind of infection?

do you think ishould try and treat with something? She is starting to get skinny..