· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your patience with a fish-in cycle. - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Upgrade to the Fansion: Fish Mansion!

1 Not allowed!
    The time has finally come! My cories are moving on up into the Fansion. 2 years ago, a coworker dropped two corydoras into my lap. One albino and one Trilineatus. She had them with her betta and he was harassing them. First fish ever! (....aside from some oscars my mom's ex husband owned when I was little. He got mad at her and punched a huge hole in the aquarium one night. All the water and fish came flooding out. Next thing I remember, he replaced the front glass, and we then we had a snake in the tank.)

Did not know what I was doing and took them home in a BOWL with some gravel and a krusty krab ornament. Started researching and quickly found out, the bowl was no bueno. I remembered I had a 10 gallon tank at my mom's house somewhere in her basement. Took almost a week to get it. Unfortunately Pat, the Trilineatus passed away from what I now know was an uncycled fish bowl. Jen the albino survived long enough to go into an uncycled 10 gallon tank with 2 caves and sand substrate. I bought a tetra whisper filter because of a recommendation from a pet store manager. While learning about cycling I bought a few replacement Pats, who all died. Some other types of corydoras I added were doing okay. Had an emerald green cory added that brought parasites into my tank. Killed a lot of them while I was getting help from you guys. Thankfully I was able to eradicate that mess. During the cycling, with the help of you guys as well I upgraded my crappy filter to an Aquaclear 70 and Aqueon Pro heater, both in preparation for the upgrade to a 40 gallon breeder. 2 maybe 3 grueling months later I finally had a cycled tank. I purchased the 40 gallon and more sand. Unfortunately because of life.. the 40 gallon sat in storage for a longnggngngngngng time. So long story short, they upgraded!!! And Jen, my original albino, who is now like 2 years old is still alive to enjoy it. Here are some photos of the process. It is not done yet, but I had to get them in it after all this time. I need a large driftwood and I want real plants. Also I have no idea what to do with my rogue flame moss. You may see a green blob in one of the photos.

fansion1.jpgfansion2.jpgfansion3.jpgfansion4.jpgfansion5.jpgfansion6.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your patience with a fish-in cycle. - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    The last pic I posted was because there were bubbles on EVERYTHING. All over the walls, rocks, everywhere. I wiped some off the walls. Is that normal?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I know it's bare and needs a lot. I am looking for some driftwood and beginner plants to fill it out more. I just didn't want the fish waiting any longer in a 10 gallon.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    The bubbles are normal, they'll eventually go away.

What kind of substrate is that?...the stuff on the right looked like peanut butter before you filled the tank, lol
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Hi there! I didn't know your story before, so thanks for sharing it. So nice you still have your original albino Cory. So the cories are now in the 40g breeder? Is it cycled? Did you transfer the AC 70 with the fish? Do you have a test kit?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    @Slaphppy7 lol yeah it did look like peanut butter. Both are Caribsea, but the whitish one was dry and needed to be rinsed. The brown came all wet like that already lol, which wow was so much easier. I didn't even drain it though.. hope that's not bad. Supposedly it had bacteria in it for cycling, but I don't hold my breath for stuff like that. I still have half the bag left, I wonder how long it will keep?

@angelcraze2 Hey! No problem, I had a rough start with fish, but I'm learning. Yep, all of my 6 cories are in this 40 g breeder lol. It's so big I had a hard time finding them and doing a head count at first. It should still be cycled, I used the same aquaclear 70 on it from the 10 gallon and it's got a LOT of stuff in the media. Maybe it will have a mini crash since it's a new tank? This is my first time upgrading a cycled tank. The 10 gallon was cycled for well over a year. I figured it wouldn't be too bad, same filter and same 6 fish. I do have the API test kit for almost 2 years, because of this forum! I should do some testing on it to know for sure, but today and tomorrow I have HUGE dogs to groom at work and am/will be pretty tired. Maybe tomorrow night i can. Any info you have about tank swapping, please share, I try to learn all I can.
    Last edited by Pariss; 12-02-2017 at 12:19 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    You should be fine with this upgrade but it would be wise to test things a few times over the first few weeks. I did an upgrade from a 26g to a 40g and brought the same filter over, same stock of fish. but everything else was new - substrate, decor, etc. I did add a 2nd filter because the original was not going to be large enough alone to handle this size tank. But your AC70 is a good size filter. I had no losses in my upgrade and I waited a couple of months before adding any new stock. So maybe be patient and have fun with just the cories for a little while while you get some plants/driftwood in there.

I have all Caribsea substrates, some dry and some wet and I really like all of these. The ones that come wet - you probably have "Instant Aquarium"? - are not meant to be drained so no worries there.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    @SueD Good, I hope so. I definitely will do testing. I might actually do some tonight, just in case. But the cories are going nuts. They're loving it and their cheeks look extra shiny lol.

I've never had plants before aside from my rogue moss floating around in there. I have to get a light, but need a cover for the tank as well. I have been having trouble finding the Versa top that fits the 40g breeder without the brace in the middle. Once I get that, I need to figure out what beginner plants I can use and where to position all of them. I don't want a carpet or anything, my cories need maximum sand, but it would be nice to have a lot of plants in there to fill it out. I am also keeping an eye on Triton freshwater aquatics drift woods. Their stock isn't updated yet, so I am waiting on that. I also am looking at their Indian Almond leaves and Tantora Catappa leaves.

I like the caribsea too. I mean i've never used anything else to compare, but I have no complaints. The brown is a little larger grain than the white, which I hope isn't bad because I like having the color. 2 years with only white gets old. Yeah, I do think it was instant aquarium. I didn't even remember I bought that type until I cut open the bag and saw all the water.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    The tops for this 40B can be a pain to find sometimes. It's such a popular size tank, I don't get it, either. You really have to know first if your tank is an Aqueon tank or a Tetra (Marineland) tank. There are very slight differences in the sizing and the Versa top fits the Aqueon tanks but for the Tetra/Marineland (which is what I ended up with) you'll need the Marineland/Perfecto glass top. It's better if you can find one locally as they are heavy tops and it's easier to return than shipping back if the sizing is off. Try a Petco for the Versa top and if not in stock, they may be able to order. If you have a LFS, often they will be able to order what you need. Here is a link for the Perfecto - http://www.thatpetplace.com/marinela...nopy-36in-18in - I was able to get mine through my LFS.

For plants, try some crypts or hygrophilia species for planting in substrate. For attaching to driftwood or rock, anubias and java ferns are easy plants. There are many varieties of these species so research a few and come back to see what others think of your selections and how they might do in your set up.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Hard to take pictures of it, but didn't see any trace of green in the ammonia, no purple in the nitrite, and I do see a tinnyyy bit of orange in the nitrate. So far so good.

test1.jpgtest2.jpg