· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Giant woodpecker holes

2 Not allowed!
    We have a resident Pileated Woodpecker that has pecked these HUGE holes in a cedar tree next to our driveway. I actually saw this bird in action awhile back, on that tree. Attached, some photos of its handiwork.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Wow that is what you can call a woodpecker ! Awesome.
    Saw some holes during my hike here but those are nothing compared with these.
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Those woodpeckers get HUGE, the size of an American black crow!

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/..._Woodpecker/id

The only woodpeckers that are common where I live are the yellow-bellied sapsuckers, which are relatively small in size

Is that cedar tree dead?...they usually prefer rotted wood to peck at, per the above article...what's also surprising (to me, anyway) is that he/she has been working on a cedar tree, which insects usually avoid (that's why many people have cedar "chests" to store clothing and other items in, bugs don't like that type of wood)
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    That Cedar tree is dying. Woodpeckers also drill out holes for nesting cavities, but usually not that close to the ground. This one could have been excavating for grubs or beetles, and may have given up when it didn't find much to eat. I last saw it several weeks ago, perched on the trunk and drilling, but I haven't seen it since.

The only north American woodpecker larger than the Pileated is the Ivory-billed, and it's thought to be extinct, or nearly so.

We have five species of woodpecker out here: Pileated, Downy, Hairy, Red-Naped Sapsucker and Northern Flicker. When those Flickers get going in early Spring, the entire neighborhood can hear them.

I've never seen a Pileated at the feeding stations, but I do occasionally see a Northern Flicker there. The Downys and Hairys eat from it all the time. The Red-Naped Sapsuckers stick strictly to the trees. Have never seen one at the feeders. I usually hear them more than see them. They emit a "Wee-errr" call.

The calls of the Pileated and Norhern Flicker are very simiiar and hard to tell apart. The Flicker's call is a little smoother, but both do the "Wicka-wicka-wicka-wicka" thing at the top of their lungs.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    In that top picture, notice the bluebird nesting box attached to another tree in the upper left background.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    That Cedar tree is dying. Woodpeckers also drill out holes for nesting cavities, but usually not that close to the ground. This one could have been excavating for grubs or beetles, and may have given up when it didn't find much to eat. I last saw it several weeks ago, perched on the trunk and drilling, but I haven't seen it since.

The only north American woodpecker larger than the Pileated is the Ivory-billed, and it's thought to be extinct, or nearly so.

We have five species of woodpecker out here: Pileated, Downy, Hairy, Red-Naped Sapsucker and Northern Flicker. When those Flickers get going in early Spring, the entire neighborhood can hear them.

I've never seen a Pileated at the feeding stations, but I do occasionally see a Northern Flicker there. The Downys and Hairys eat from it all the time. The Red-Naped Sapsuckers stick strictly to the trees. Have never seen one at the feeders. I usually hear them more than see them. They emit a "Wee-errr" call.

The calls of the Pileated and Norhern Flicker are very simiiar and hard to tell apart. The Flicker's call is a little smoother, but both do the "Wicka-wicka-wicka-wicka" thing at the top of their lungs.
    Wowzers, those are some holes! How neat you have such a variety of woodpeckers. I have only seen the downy woodpecker at our feeders.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    That awesome roto be able to see. Back where I'm from we have the woody woodpecker types (no idea what they're called but they're quite large) and they are super rare to run across. I never in my life saw one until about 11 years ago and I saw two in one day. Haven't seen another one since.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    The Woody Woodpecker types are probably Pileateds. They have the red crest, the black and white bodies and their calls are sort of like the cartoon character's call -- a little different but similar. I think Woody was modeled after the Pileated, or after the Ivory-Billed (thought to be extinct). Both birds look similar. The Ivory-Billed is larger.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Here's a quiz:

How do you tell the difference between a male and female Pileated Woodpecker?

How do you tell the difference in genders between the Ivory-Billed Woodpeckers?

(Hint: The difference in the one species is more obvious than in the other species).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    Here's a quiz:

How do you tell the difference between a male and female Pileated Woodpecker?

How do you tell the difference in genders between the Ivory-Billed Woodpeckers?

(Hint: The difference in the one species is more obvious than in the other species).
    The way they'll knock on wood ?
    No Cory, No Glory !!