· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Water perfect yet fish continue to die - please help

0 Not allowed!
    I really could do with some help trying to figure out what's going on in my aquariums, this will probably be quite long so thanks in advance.

My 80l aquarium consisted of a black phantom tetra, celestial pearl danio, a couple cherry shrimp and a handful of snails up until a couple of months ago. It's a well established tank a couple of years old and the filter media older still, these fish are the last survivors of their shoals, a little younger than the others were.

30/12/18 Added one pair honey gourami and 6 orange shrimp.
    6/1/19 Added one pair Agassizi Cichlid - male chases the female also the gouramis, platy and tetra, mostly around meal times.
    7/1/19 Added one Platy
    12/1/19 Added 6x Daisies Rice Fish and 6x Otto
    15/2/19 One ricefish dead, another with cloudy eye - later dies (Ricefish were very active and eating well the past couple days, I assume an acclimatization issue)
    19/1/19 Added 6x dwarf rainbowfish
    26/1/19 Platy dies - nothing visibly wrong. Had been a little shy over the past few days I thought because of the cichlid
    2/2/19 Male cichlid moved to 40l alone, new setup, water and filter media from main tank
    6/2/19 rainbowfish gasping at surface - dissapears after a few days
    7/2/19 female cichlid dies - pale but nothing visibly wrong, hadn't been well for a while, I thought this was due to the male but she never improved
    9/2/19 gouramis make bubble nest
    9/2/19 Ricefish dead suddenly - nothing visibly wrong
    9/2/19 Otto has fury nose and gill area appears damaged - dies a day or so later
    16/2/19 gouramis lay eggs - and eat them
    18/2/19 rainbowfish gasping at surface - I realised this time he couldn't sink. After a couple days sunk to bottom and couldn't swim properly then disappeared.
    23/2/19 Ricefish laying on bottom - had been totally fine the day before - nothing visibly wrong - not seen since
    25/2/19 Male cichlid suddenly lethargic, breathing rapidly, laying on the floor/ leaves/ up against filter intake. Wont eat. Did a very large water change just in case, nothing visibly wrong only pale
    26/2/19 No change is male cichlid condition, just getting paler.

Throughout all of this my water has been perfect, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites in both tanks. 0 nitrates in the 80l and the 40l sits at about 5ppm. pH stable at 7.4. All tested using the API freshwater master test kit, I even bought a new one in case they could go out of date and tested with two other brands of of test kit I had laying around just in case. I treated first for bacterial infection, I've been treating lately with disease clear which is for bacteria and fungus.

I have no idea what to do to stop my fish dying. The rice fish seem to randomly pop off without warning. All fish seem fine at the moment in the 80l, I have no idea where to start with the cichlid.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated, I've lost enough fish already.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

What kind of water conditioner do you use?...how is the tank filtered?

What is your water change schedule, and how much water do you change?

What is the ph of your source water (after being allowed to gas-off for 24 hours), and what is the ph in the tanks?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you. I use seachem prime. External canister on the 80l, only turns over 5x tank volume/hr but the fish appreciate the slow moving water and being external I have loads of media in there. 40l has a built in filter, using a Juwel Eccoflow 500 Powerhead. Water changes I do 10-25% every two or three weeks on the bigger tank. I don't build nitrates in there so I can be a bit lax sometimes but I try to keep on top of it. 40l doing 10-20% every week as I don't have a lid so my tds creeps up. Source and tanks are all 7.4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    What is the temp of the tank(s)?...are you getting good surface agitation at the water surface?

I'd start doing 50% WC's weekly, nitrAtes aren't the only reason for WC's

http://advancedaquariumconcepts.com/...-in-aquariums/

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    80l was around 24-25. Cranked it all the way up to 28 when my rainbowfish was having buoyancy issues following online advice for swim bladder problems. Still up at about 27. 40l is around 25 degrees.

That's an interesting read, I'll get in to better habits with my tank maintenance however from what it says pH and hardness will decrease over time but my gh, kh and tds is actually a little higher than source an pH is the same.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Sounds like adding the fish may have added some sort of disease to your tank. The only other thing I'll ask is, how much surface agitation do you have? Is this a planted tank? Are you adding co2?

Maybe your fish aren't getting enough oxygen and causing the death and behaviors you are seeing?
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I was starting to think something came in with the rice fish, no idea how to treat it though as so far medication doesn't seem to have helped. No CO2 and I added an air stone a few weeks ago as I thought the same when my first rainbowfish got stuck at the top as I thought it might be an O2 issue. In the 40l I did a 70% water change yesterday and changed the angle of the filter outlet to agitate the water surface more but my cichlid just looks worse.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus291 View Post
    Sounds like adding the fish may have added some sort of disease to your tank. The only other thing I'll ask is, how much surface agitation do you have? Is this a planted tank? Are you adding co2?

Maybe your fish aren't getting enough oxygen and causing the death and behaviors you are seeing?
    Good call...that was a question I had coming up...have you bought all of the fish that have gone into this tank from the same LFS (Local Fish Store/Shop) from the beginning of it being cycled and established?

Post some pics of the affected fish, or just the tank itself

Is your source water municipal, well water, other source?
    @Rocksor, have a look please
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 02-26-2019 at 11:29 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Maybe a parasite-gill flukes? May explain the gasping for air...

https://thewebsiteofeverything.com/a...or-Gill-Flukes

http://goldfish2care4.com/goldfish-diseases/flukes.html

https://www.chewy.com/petcentral/how...-tropical-fish

I am sorry you are going through this. It is the worst part, not knowing how to help them.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    https://imgur.com/a/TYxs1Kb

Here's an album of various fish.

Rice fish, gourami, otto's bought from my lfs, they're usually very good. I use tap water, they're just down the road from me and use the same.
    Cichlids were from further afield, but a really good reputable place.
    Rainbow fish came from somewhere I don't trust so much, I bought RO water from them at the same time and the hardness was through the roof so it went down the drain.

I can't SEE any Gill flukes but at this point I don't know if there's any harm in treating for it just in case?

I got a really good pic of the cichlid he looks pale but his gills look fine I think?