· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default GH very high in the tap water

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, There a house where the GH in the water thats coming out of the tap is really high, over 21D . I wanted to ask what effect can it creat on the fish? and do you know of ways to solve it? is there some kind of tap filter that can be used to make the water better for the fish?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    A ro-di unit will remove everything from the water. They are pretty expensive though, especially if you have a bunch of tanks. You would also have to add minerals back into the water because they nearly remove everything from the water. This can lead to more stress if you aren't getting your parameters the same every time you do a water change.

Water stability is more important for short term health and stress levels of your fish. If you have extremely hard water and buy or rescue a fish that is used to soft water it will take weeks for the fishes body to fully adjust to the different conditions. There for, you should slows accumate the fish to the new water conditions over a couple of weeks time. Slowly changing the water parameters every couple of days until they match what your water conditions are going to be.

I'll have to try to find this information again, but I remember reading somewhere that it is easier for a fish from soft water to adjust to hard water then the opposite. Someone correct me if I missed this up.
    This is Nautilus291

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Newnamefornow View Post
    A ro-di unit will remove everything from the water. They are pretty expensive though, especially if you have a bunch of tanks. You would also have to add minerals back into the water because they nearly remove everything from the water. This can lead to more stress if you aren't getting your parameters the same every time you do a water change.

Water stability is more important for short term health and stress levels of your fish. If you have extremely hard water and buy or rescue a fish that is used to soft water it will take weeks for the fishes body to fully adjust to the different conditions. There for, you should slows accumate the fish to the new water conditions over a couple of weeks time. Slowly changing the water parameters every couple of days until they match what your water conditions are going to be.

I'll have to try to find this information again, but I remember reading somewhere that it is easier for a fish from soft water to adjust to hard water then the opposite. Someone correct me if I missed this up.
    Yes i read it too that it easier for the fish this way..
    So RO is an option but how about something more moderate like peat or driftwood in the tank?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Although people have success with using those methods I feel there are a couple of things that make them a bad option.

First thing is if your kh is high enough you won't see much affect as the buffering capability of the water is way too high.

Number two if it is effective in your tank, it can also make your water conditions unstable. If it is altering your water conditions you will now have to do smaller water changes more often to make sure you don't add too much tap water which will give the tank water a big fluctuation.

I honestly feel it really hard to find stability using this method. The peat moss and drift wood them selves become less effective over time. If you decide to use this method I suggest running a test tank without fish in it for 6 months to a year so you can figure out a system to keep the water parameters in your tank stable. At my old house I tried this method for my crazy hard well water, and it didn't affect my water conditions at all.
    This is Nautilus291

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    You can buy ro water from the store. Depending on how much water you are changing out in your tanks it is a pretty cheap option. I did this with a 10g tank in my old house. I bought 5g of to water and figured out how much tap water it took to get the water parameters that I wanted. Then I stuck with that mixture.
    This is Nautilus291

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    At 21degrees of hardness, I would guess the KH is also pretty high like 8 degrees. You would practically have to fill at least 10% of the aquarium with peat and driftwood to drive the GH down. It takes about 2 cups of peat with 24 cups of water to reduce 21 degrees of GH and 8 degrees of KH in half.