· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Sailfin pleco shedding slime coat?

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like my 9 inch sailfin is shedding. Any thoughts on this? Disease? He's acting perfectly normal, eating , and everything. Sorry not a good pic but you can see a little white stuff hanging off him.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats with the trivia contest! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for taking the time with my angel :) - angelcraze2   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Is the water in your aquarium generally cloudy? How long ago did the symptoms appear?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    Is the water in your aquarium generally cloudy? How long ago did the symptoms appear?
    I just transferred my fish into this bigger tank and the new substrate made the water cloudy. Didn't have time to rinse. It's just recently I've noticed it. I'm keeping an eye on him. When I turn the lights on today I'll check him out. He's been growing at a really fast rate. I got him a year ago and he was only about 2.5 inches long and now he's 8 to 9 inches. I read that they can shed when growing so I'm thinking that's what it is since it's kinda falling off.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    Also since I transferred all my fish from 2 tanks to one , it could be a light cycle going on because I used new substrate and a lot of new water. I used the filters from my old tanks and all the decorations and some of the old gravel so there shouldn't full a full on nitrogen cycle. So the cloudiness could also be a bacteria bloom

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats with the trivia contest! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for taking the time with my angel :) - angelcraze2   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

4 Not allowed!
    Fish don't shed the way reptiles do. The slime coat is constantly produced and degraded. However, they can overproduce if something is irritating them, which results in a thick sloughing coat. If you recently moved the fish it is likely that something in the water is bothering it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a frontosa, to start your collection - Slaphppy7   4 the help - rookie   

2 Not allowed!
    Cloudy water and you pleco slimming up sounds like you have a nitrogen cycle starting, do you have a test kit?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fissh View Post
    Cloudy water and you pleco slimming up sounds like you have a nitrogen cycle starting, do you have a test kit?
    Yeah it's cycling. Hopefully it won't be that bad. I'm putting extra bacteria in it. I tested the water yesterday and I have .50 ammonia and .50 nitrite

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    What kind of test kit do you have?

You need to be doing daily water changes with Prime to get those levels down as much as possible
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    What kind of test kit do you have?

You need to be doing daily water changes with Prime to get those levels down as much as possible
    I checked the water again and the levels were lower. There was very little to no nitrite and possibly .25 ammonia but that might be iffy too. I use an API master kit.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    You're goal is to get them both down to 0, I would be doing 50% (at least) daily WC's until that happens.

What is your nitrAte reading?...usually a tank will always have some of them, but you want their levels to be at .20 or lower, as well
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers