· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Detritus and pathogenic bacteria

1 Not allowed!
    Just wondering, thoughts on siphoning the substrate in a planted or leaf-litter tank.

I have been siphoning like crazy and removed my IAL litter since I've had a parasite scare. I had little leaf beds in my tanks that I didn't siphon which I removed because I think they'd make a good parasite hide. Now I'm concerned about pathogenic bacteria living in leaf litter and such.

Maybe my lower kh would reduce the bacterial growth, but unless my pH is under 5, not antiseptic. At the moment, because of the parasite scare I've had to keep my substrate squeaky clean, but I also like the thick leaf litter look and buy into the benefits with fry. But now, I'll admit, I'm almost scared to add them back and would prefer putting the leaves a mesh bag in the filter. Are pathogens a concern in tanks where the substrate is not siphoned with leaves?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I may have found the answer in Amazon Joe's discus thread...

Tannin tea.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 02-17-2018 at 06:40 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Delete the thread?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ummm. Not sure. Maybe not delete, because I'm curious of other's thoughts. Are pathogens a concern in leaf litter in the aquarium. Not talking about the wild where the pH is very acidic.

Thanks though, I panicked lol.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Well I know there have been studies in various forms on tannins not just in aquatic use but in clinical studies on the effects of its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-pathogenic and astringent properties

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Maybe botanicals with harder surfaces for inside the tank and leaf litter or peat inside mesh bags in the filter? I don't know, I'm just not the type of fish keeper that wants to keep a tank that looks messy and harbors harmful stuff.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks @AmazonJoe for your input. Do you think I could get all the antibacterial properties from the IALs by keeping them in the filter? I did add the leaves to let them deteriorate in the tank before my suspected parasite outbreak. I added them for the fish but I was also hoping they'd help with the cyanobacteria that keeps showing up in a few of my tanks. I believe they did help with the cyano while the tank was full of tannins, but once the leaves started to fall apart, they mixed with the substrate and stuck to it. I think cyano went rampant again, particularly where the decaying leaves were mixed. I've been slowly siphoning up the leaf bits and even removed layers of gravel to rinse outside the tank. I suppose all this cleaning helps remove cyano as well, but I just have such a hard time if I don't keep the substate clean. I know everyone's tanks are different, and probably the type of fish kept, but I can't seem to keep a leaf-littered tank unless is very low light and acidic.

@Taurus I love your suggestion, I think that would work perfectly! The only other problem I have is all the water changes. I need a ton of leaves to make a tint in my larger tanks especially. I've considered tannin tea to supplement after WCs for that reason. I like Joe's method of the tea tank he keeps full of leaves with an airstone. Just stain to remove debris and organics. Thanks all :)
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Yep exactly some setups I use tannin infused water instead of actual botanicals you could have a tank going to take from and add to tanks just to get the benefits of tannin without the organic matter

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    Just stain to remove debris and organics. Thanks all :)
    I meant just stRain the water.
    -Kat