· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Flame tetra in QT

0 Not allowed!
    Can't quite figure this out, but watching the vid, maybe it looks like he's losing equilibrium or swim bladder issues. I first noticed it today, it looked like he was swimming or twitching really quickly, but not gaining much movement. I think he may be moving so much to keep himself orientated and straight.

I know Epsom salts are good for swim bladder symptoms, but not so sure since he isn't bloated. I may go ahead and feed Epsom salts for now.

Anyone recognize this sort of behavior or have a suggestion for what to do?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I've only ever seen it not long ago when I picked up a few CPDs from a new line and one of the males did that for the first 3-4 days I had him and then when they were moved from qt into be with the rest of my CPDs I assumed it was him doing it again for another or two... It cleared up both times on its own and I just related it to stress... I could be wrong I thought it was quite strange also so if be interested in others thoughts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks sfsamm :) I'm not gonna rush and dump anything in, but I'll watch carefully and feed them Epsom Salts because it's harmless and part of my QT anyway until someone knows what to do or what it is. I can't see anything else wrong with any of the fish.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I'm pretty sure this one is male, with more black edging on the anal fin and a bit more black sheen thoughout the body, kind of opposite of the female black phantom which has a red sheen thoughout the body. I really like these tetras, it's cool to learn and observe new traits about a tetra I haven't kept before. I'm a bit worried about feeding all the fish once they are safe to move into the 120g though. They gobble everything up and eat so much! I'm not used to a bunch of babies maybe.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Here we go. What's this now?

I'm thinking I may have seen this before. It may look like anchor worm, but i'm not totally convinced. If so, that suggests to me these fish were raised in a pond. I noticed 2 or 3 have spinal deformities, not a big deal, but still. I'm happy with my purchase though because I have the meds to treat anchor worm if that's what it is. That's what QT is for, to treat the fish and catch a parasite or pathogen and deal with it before it gets introduced to the main tank and puts your own fish at risk. Also minimizes amount of water to treat, and prevents all the fish from having to be medicated. Anyway, since I'd like to get another opinion if possible, I'm giving the flame tetra that was swimming oddly and the one with suspected anchor worm a Meth Blue bath for 1 hour.

Here's a pic too, but it's really hard to make anything out. @Silbar I need your expertise!
    20181017_011037.jpg
    It's raised on the other side FYI
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Kat...First off I want to say how pretty those flames are. I love the coloring and markings. As far as the raised white area, I honestly do not know what it is. Because it is in a straight line it could possibly be a parasite but I am no expert. It would be nice to get Rocksor's opinion.
    Do you happen to know if this is the same fish that you originally posted about the swimming issue?
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks Sil! You were the one that ID'd the anchor worm on my super blue kerri tetras Maybe it's not an anchor worm then. It is two different fish, I gave both of them an MB bath last night. I couldn't find the one with the white thing on his tail afterward, but I found one with a piece of caudal fin missing. I think I may have ripped it with the net after the bath? I'm doing some research now that I'm more awake. Thanks very much for looking at it, and of course the compliment on the flame tetras. I'm really happy I tried a new tetra as well. Well, new for me. I plan to get a group of 10 or so Columbian tetras to go with them. I think it'll look great! @Rocksor @discusluv Sorry, I don't know how to make sure ppl are seeing this. Any ideas of what's going on?
    One of them is swimming twitchy like, the other has this weird white thing on the tail. It looked like it maybe swayed a bit in the current, or moved, I can't really tell, they are tiny and it's hard to get it on camera. Wish I had better explanations.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Doesn’t look like a parasite to me. Looks like bacteria/ fungal issue- most likely secondary if you see other symptoms that look like weakness , is not eating.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discusluv View Post
    Doesn’t look like a parasite to me. Looks like bacteria/ fungal issue- most likely secondary if you see other symptoms that look like weakness , is not eating.
    Thank you very very much. I'm keeping a close eye obviously, I'll update everything as I go. I really appreciate you looking at it. It was raised on the other side of his tail and either waved in the current with his motions or wiggled, or maybe a piece of dead skin? Idk. Anything about the one that swims oddly? Like he's wiggling really fast, or twitchy like but not gaining much distance for all the effort or something. He gets out of the way when he has to, so I wouldn't call it swimming difficulty, just weird.

I guess if it's bacterial/fungal, the MB should help that. I was thinking of doing an MB paint, but did a bath instead. Man I hate the guessing game. All I know is i'm not using antibiotics.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    When have bacterial infection on body, fins, etc. This causes an excess of mucus in affected area to confine the bacteria and combat it. The stringiness you see is most likely just that. This could just be an injury from netting, transport etc.

The fish that appears to have locomotion problem, does it have enough strength to escape a net when put in water? Is it eating? This could be an internal parasite or swim bladder issue.
    Is it eating? How long have you had this group of fish?