· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

South Central Maryland- Washington DC Suburbs

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   For your patience and tenacity! - Slaphppy7   

Default Im in TOTAL shock!

0 Not allowed!
    Yesterday I bought one 5 1/2 or so sized Tiger Shovelnose Catfish and I also bought a Dwarf/Pea sized Puffer. The Puffer was only $3.99 so I though Ill do an experiment and see how long it last in the tank with a 12-14 Gar.
    I though no more then 30 minutes and the Puffer will be snacked up by the Gar. I put 3 Ghost Shrimp in months ago and 1 was eaten with in minutes and the other 2 were gone in 12 hours.
    I put it in the tank yesterday around 10pm and today at about 5:30pm the Puffer is still swimming around like it owns the tank. Im in total shock. Now this morning I did see the Gar attack the Shovelnose Catfish. It got the fins of its tail in its mouth,but the Catfish got away. Still alive.
    180 Gallon:
    1-Motoro Stingray
    1- Mantilla hybrid Stingray
    1- Black Henlei/Leopoldi hybrid Stingray
    1- 14" Spotted Gar

40 gallon Breeder grow out tank:
    1- 6 Tiger Shovelnose Catfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

6 Not allowed!
    These types of experiments just never have appealed to me.
    But, hey, to each his/her own.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I never done this before. I just was very curious to see if the Puffer would live and I highly doubted it. 1 in 100 chance and I was wrong.
    The Puffer is a quarter inch only. If it lives a week I will add another Pea/Dwarf Puffer. Every week I dont lose a Puffer I will add another till I have a good size school. If I lose one thats went I will stop.
    Last edited by freshwaterfishlover; 06-04-2019 at 11:54 PM.
    180 Gallon:
    1-Motoro Stingray
    1- 14" Spotted Gar

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

5 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discusluv View Post
    These types of experiments just never have appealed to me.
    But, hey, to each his/her own.
    Agreed. Knowingly mixing fish that are not compatible, causing what will certainly be stress in the tank for the weaker fish, makes absolutely no sense to me.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by freshwaterfishlover View Post
    I never done this before. I just was very curious to see if the Puffer would live and I highly doubted it. 1 in 100 chance and I was wrong.
    The Puffer is a quarter inch only. If it lives a week I will add another Pea/Dwarf Puffer. Every week I dont lose a Puffer I will add another till I have a good size school. If I lose one thats went I will stop.
    Thats quite an intense experiment. What is the point of eventually having a school of puffers?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Never thought the Puffer would live and they do look nice.
    180 Gallon:
    1-Motoro Stingray
    1- 14" Spotted Gar

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    You may not see as much enthusiasm from your fellow members. Your experiment, while clinically interesting, may not sit well with some members. Most here strive to avoid aggression in their tanks and don't like seeing unnecessary violence, so you're kind of going against the grain. Some will see your actions as being a bit reckless or even sadistic due to the fact that you're interested in seeing whether the animal get torn up or not.

Morality aside, it is interesting to note that it has been left alone. I'm not sure if that will last long. It may just be sheer luck that it has been left alone for the time being, but it will definitely be cool if the species end up living peacefully with one another.

Quote Originally Posted by freshwaterfishlover View Post
    Every week I don’t lose a Puffer I will add another till I have a good size school.
    I've never really heard of puffers schooling together. My understanding is that they will spread out and kind of avoid each other, but it will be interesting to see how it works out for you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It's 2 1/2 days and it's still alive.
    180 Gallon:
    1-Motoro Stingray
    1- 14" Spotted Gar

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    Why chance it at adding one a week? Groups survive better in larger numbers. If the goal is to see if they will co-habitate then give the small puffers a fighting chance and buy a bunch (10+). Buying one at a time is just forcing stress on the one little guy.

What you are doing is not unusual or hasn't been done before (large predator + small prey).
    62054678_10157208856771445_652085217896431616_n.jpg
    image8.jpg
    Last edited by Rocksor; 06-06-2019 at 03:21 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I think after 3 1/2 days it was eaten. I saw it this morning, but just now when I got home I don’t see it.
    180 Gallon:
    1-Motoro Stingray
    1- 14" Spotted Gar