· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Using Ammonia Remover along with Tetra AquaSafe

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

When I change the water in my coldwater tank I always use Tetra Aqua Safe and it has always done me well. I have been handed a bottle of Interpet Ammonia Remover, now I am wondering if this is ok to use along with the Aqua Safe or if it does a similar or same job?

Would anyone recommend using it or suggest staying away from it? Is it worthwhile?

Cheers,
    Picco

0 Not allowed!
    Tetra safe start is the dechlorinator to remove chlorine and chloramines.

That ammonia remover would be if you had an emergency where the ammonia spiked. I wouldn't use it anyway when a water change would take care of rising ammonia.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Tetra safe start is the dechlorinator to remove chlorine and chloramines.

That ammonia remover would be if you had an emergency where the ammonia spiked. I wouldn't use it anyway when a water change would take care of rising ammonia.
    OK, thanks. I don't have a tester kit (yet), however I will get my hands on one. Changing 30% of the water is a 20-30 minute job and I have no problem doing that regularly. I added an inner-capful of Ammonia Remover when I changed the water this morning, but I guess that's probably not required from what you are saying. I always use Tetra Aquasafe on the new water that is going into the tank so, unless I can detect an ammonia level issue should I avoid using it? I thought it may be used as a precautionary measure against ammonia build up - is this not the case?

I haven't tested the levels, as I say I don't have a kit at the moment, but the fish do seem to be healthy and are eating as normal.

0 Not allowed!
    If you have ammonia in the water, that stuff should help

I would also be concerned as to why there is ammonia in the water in the first place and try to figure the cause so it can be fixed. That is usally a sign that something is wrong in the tank or the tank is not cycled
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    is it okay to use tetra aquasafe to goldfish /fry?

0 Not allowed!
    Yes - new water for any fish should have water conditioner added to it unless it's well water with no chlorine in it.

If you don't have a tester yet to check your water parameters, how would you know if you have ammonia or how high it is?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Ammonia remover should only be used in an emergency as stated above, when ammonia is detected by a test kit, and, is not brought down to safe levels quickly enough by water changes. This is to be used only to save the lives of fish in such a situation, otherwise, a cycled tank should be handling ammonia for you.

0 Not allowed!
    3 month old thread. Hopefully the problem is solved.