· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Denison's Barb (Redline Torpedo Barb)

0 Not allowed!
    Hey folks! I came across a picture of a Denison's Barb, otherwise known as a Redline Torpedo Barb or possibly Miss Kerala although I do not know the accuracy of the latter. These guys would be a great addition my my 36 gallon, as they are absolutely gorgeous.

My question is, how available are these guys? I haven't seen them in any of my LFS and some non local fish stores that I think of.
    "Horses never run so fast as when they have others to catch and outpace."
    -Ovid

0 Not allowed!
    They can grow up to 6", should be kept in groups of at least 6 and require a minimum tank size of 55 gallons.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I kept a group of these in my old 211gal and they are beautiful fish!

Like kingfisher mentioned they need a big tank... 36gal is far to small for a group

They are pretty pricey and not very common in Ireland... i can imagine they are pretty hard to locate in other countries too. They and pretty sensitive to water conditions and stress...

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Try any lfs. They are irregularly imported and my store has two of them. He says he imports them less because nobody buys them either because of unfamiliary or the steep price. Try asking I'm sure they'll help you out.

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Love 'em

I have two of these in QT atm [All the LFS had in stock] and will get some more when they come in. I am thinking nine in a 100G in the future [Other stock to be decided]

Btw - You could say my LFS treats me right... I got mine for 8$ each.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My local Petsmart has them from time to time. My LFS has them more often. They are usually $7-8.
    Stephen
    13 tanks for a total of 755 gallons

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, given their max size, I would have to agree, my 36gal is too small. The closest fish store is in Nashville and although they have excellent selection, including some beautiful TB's, I've never seen any Denison's Barbs there. Given their irregular importation, I'd have to keep an eye on their "recent addition list" online before traveling down there. Oh well, they certainly are some very beautiful fish.
    "Horses never run so fast as when they have others to catch and outpace."
    -Ovid

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have 8 in a 100gallon tank. They are very active and fast. I agree 36 gallons is too small. That being said if you still want to get them, some local stores with have them irregularly, aquabid.com, some petsmarts, live aquaria.com

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerbarb87
    Hey folks! I came across a picture of a Denison's Barb, otherwise known as a Redline Torpedo Barb or possibly Miss Kerala although I do not know the accuracy of the latter. These guys would be a great addition my my 36 gallon, as they are absolutely gorgeous.

My question is, how available are these guys? I haven't seen them in any of my LFS and some non local fish stores that I think of.

Petsmart has this fish in stock all the time I just picked up 8 of them. They are a little high in price tho at $19.99 each but every time I go they are in stock. An amazing fish.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There is a store called "that fish place" near my house in PA. They have a bunch of these, usually all the time. I believe you can actually order them online and they will ship them to you. They also have a guarantee on a lot of their fish (something I think they call the "arrive alive" or something like that). Anyway, if you really want them, you can probably order them from their website. I never have problems with anything I've bought from them.