· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Schistura mahnerti: The so called subfasca loach

0 Not allowed!
    Recently i started a thread looking for answers on this mysterious loach that appeared in my lfs. When i asked the employees about this loach, nobody seemed to know much about it other than the fact that it was, a loach.

I decided to purchase one of these guys, observe it's behavior and search the ac for answers. With help from other forum members and research of my own, i compiled some information on this loach in order to help others who may run into this little guy in the future.

To my dismay, this little guy was not the peaceful loach i thought he was.

The name subfasca, comes from Schistura subfusca which is an older no longer used of Nemacheilus subfusca which has been moved to the genus Schistura mahnerti.

This loach hails Salween basin in Thailand, near the eastern slopes of the Himalayas. It has also been found in other locations. This is a highly territorial loach from the hillstream areas. It is not recommend to be be housed with smaller, peaceful bottom dwellers such as corydoras. The can be very nippy when defending their territory. I experienced this myself when noticing aggression towards my yoyo loach, and nipped fins on my corydoras. Slow moving, long finned tankmates should also be kept away from this species.

They grow to be a maximum size of around 3" (7.6) and should be given plenty of hiding places to create their own territories and boundaries.
    They are known to develop brighter red tails, although my species hasn't seemed to develop these yet.(i may have a hybrid of sorts seeing as the fish is somewhat rare in the aquarium hobby)

They will thrive in Brook/Hillstream aquarium setups in groups of 4-6, so long as they are kept solely as they only bottom dwellers. pH should be from 6-6.9, and temperatures from 73-79 degrees F.

They are omnivorous and in the wild their diet consist of small insects and worms. In aquria they will accept dried food and foods such as frozen bloodworms.

To help further aid in the identification of these loaches i'll post pictures.

Here is one in my tank, without the bright red tail.

Another, in an unknown location

Also, i will provide links to a few profiles i have found.

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/schistura-mahnerti

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile...uerrae&id=1396

Hopefully this will help clear up some speculation.
    40 Gallon Breeder Planted: harlequin rasbora rummynose tetra corydoras cherry barbs

40 Gallon Breeder Reef: In progress!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Pattern looks the same, but the shape of the head looks different. I wonder if that is an age characterstic?
    125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Shame that they are a tad aggressive, otherwise thats a very attractive loach!!
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin Phil
    Pattern looks the same, but the shape of the head looks different. I wonder if that is an age characterstic?
    It's very hard to say, im thinking mine may be a bit of a hybrid. It is very hard to find information on this loach. There are so many varieties of this genus. After searching all, the Schistura mahnerti is the most similar in look, locations and characteristic. No one in my lfs knew anything about it other than that it was a loach from their distributor in china.
    40 Gallon Breeder Planted: harlequin rasbora rummynose tetra corydoras cherry barbs

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also as an update: upon moving my 2 loaches into my smaller 10gl holding tank, i took a closer look and noticed the red coloration is present on the tails. It is not as bright as the picture posted.