· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Not real sure what other fish to consider for my 125gal.

0 Not allowed!
    First of all, I would like to say hello to everyone. Currently in my 125 I have 2 Dempseys (1= 2-1/2 - 3" the other is close to 4") and a roughly 12" Pleco, not real sure what kind it is, I think it may be a sailfin though. I would probably never had bought a Pleco myself, as it was a christmas gift, so what do you do. I must say that I do actually like the Pleco now. So my question is, what else should I consider for adding to this tank? I am only looking to add 1 or 2 other fish. I have thought about maybe a Green Terror or 1 or 2 Firemouths. I would really prefer suggestions of fish that will end up closer in size to what the Dempseys should end up. Thank you for any input you may have.

0 Not allowed!
    Howdy and welcome to the forum!

Your tank is large enough for six to eight firemouths. Added all at once they'll be no aggression.

My concern is the Dempseys. With just two there's the strong possibility of one dominating the other to its ruin when they grow up. Like all cichlids, a group of eight is key to peace.

Depends on what species of the two common plecos sold you have. You may have the smaller one, which does stop out at 12 inches, but there's a 90 percent chance it's the larger one. The males top out at 18 inches, the females close to two feet.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave66; 03-11-2012 at 08:15 AM.
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Hello and welcome!

I was considering a green terror at one point, but from what I found out and was told they will pretty much shred any other fish in your tank. Occasionaly you get a more peaceful one but generaly they are aggressive.

I would definately recommend a firemouth! Either get one, or between 3-6 of them. I've got one and he is a big peaceful thing! Another fish I love and will be getting soon is the blue acara! Hope this helps!

Oh and you could get a school of tetras?
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Depends what tetras. Most won't be a match for jacks.
    You could look into a school of upside down synos or other tough catfish. Very neat and fun to watch in schools. Be sure to get more than 6, because the less there are, the more they hide, and only get to around 3". Don't want them hiding in 120g, you will never see them! Go big or go home and stare at an empty tank, your call:D

0 Not allowed!
    to AC!!

+1 to Dave's advice. Just to add as well, if you happen to have a m/f pair of jacks, when they spawn they will be twice as aggressive defending their eggs/fry.
    20gal long planted community

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you want to add some more activity a school of 4 or 5 med-lg silver dollars are some middle swimmers that would look good ,maybe some red hooks if you can find them.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for your replys. I did some reading and picked up 3 salvinis today. They will stay in the 10gal. for a week or 2 and then go into the 75gal. to get some size on them before they go into the 125gal. I am still considering some of the suggestions from all of you. I am open to any and all suggestions, comments and opinions.