· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Angels in a 29g community?

0 Not allowed!
    I've had 3 angels in the past - a gold which maxed out at 6"x6" and a couple of striped ones that were a bit smaller. That was a larger tank though, and now I have a 29g community tank currently with 6 1" or smaller neon tetras and cory cat. My question: would it be ok to add 1 or 2 angels? The only other fish I eventually plan on adding are 3 swordtails and probably 2 more cory cats.

Would it be best to have all the other fish established in the tank BEFORE adding an angel since they angels can be more territorial and aggressive? Also, would it be best to only get one angel since I noticed a breeding pair form before that got a little nippy with the other angel.

Also, I've never really had a problem with it before, but will an angel eat all of my neons? I may have lost one neon to that gold angel I used to have once he got bigger, but since the angels started out small they never bothered the neons and seemed to never consider them a snack.

Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    IF you get an angel for your 29 - Get one and one only and add it last. there's not enough territory for two [Unless mated and that can go bad quickly] and WWIII will ensue.

Yes, Your neons could very well end up as snacks for an angel.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, if I decide to get one I'll wait and get just one. Not even sure if I'm going to get one or not, just liked having them before and was wondering. Definitely don't want my neons to become a meal ;) I happen to like them a lot, lol.

0 Not allowed!
    A 29 would be OK for one angel but with neons, swordtails and corys, I would say no. Angels are slow moving and like a peaceful tank. Swordtails are fast swimmers and angels would not appreciate all that fast movement.
    Some neons may get eaten, as well. I've had 5 that did eat neons and 4 that did not.

If anything, I would have a group of rummynose that are somewhat larger than the neons and one angel. No swordtails.

5. Question

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks lady hobbs, I didn't realize they wouldn't be compatible because of their activity levels. I am more partial to the swordtails and prefer them...also because of angels' full grown size I think it's probably better to stick with the swords and maybe some mollies? I really wanted the angel as a "centerpiece" kind of fish though...any other ideas of something that would work with the swordtails and neons??? Dwarf gouramis maybe?? Don't know if the swordtails would also bother them...if I remember my old gourami, seemed to swim kind of slow most of the time. But I had him with swordtails and lots of mollies and all were fine...

0 Not allowed!
    Good idea. A 29 gallon is a small tank. "Centerpiece" fish are generally considered in larger tanks. With Mollies and swordtails, I would shy away from neons. Neons tend to do nothing but hide when in a tank with larger fish. A more active and larger tetra would be best suited.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so do you think it would be ok to add 1 male swordtail and 3 females? I'd like to have 2 males, but don't want them to fight... if I had 2 males and say 4 females would that be ok? I don't want to have too many species in my tank. Probably just swordtails, tetras and corydoras. What about adding a couple more cory cats...my one seems to do perfectly fine alone, he swims all over and doesn't shy away from the other fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds better than the Mollies. And yes to more corys. Stick with the species you already have as they don't intermingle as well as same species.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, I'll do that :)