· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Blue Acara & Green Terror: Which is which?

0 Not allowed!
    It's seems to be a common problem for people to be confused on which of these two fish they are actually buying.

I personally have been to several local fish stores and noticed both of these little guys in the same tank under the same name.

The problem is that both of this little fellas look very similar in their juvenile states.

Well hopefully i can help clear up some of the speculation because i know i was once trouble with this same problem.

Posted here is a picture of both of these fish in juvenile states with the noticeable differences circled.
    Picture courtesy of google

To the left we have the green terror and the right the blue acara.

Whilst very similar the green terror shows more vibrant green coloration around the jaw area, intense green and black spots on the body and the very noticeable bright orange outline on its tail.

As far as the blue acara we notice the same greenish blue color on the jaw and the same orange outline on the dorsal fin. The difference come with the more intense zebra stripes on the side and the absence of the bright orange on the tail.

Be sure to keep these in mind when shopping around for these little guys!
    I just the other day noticed a few of these guys mixed in at my lfs and gladly notified the employees!

Now for the next topic. If they look so similar while they are young, whats the difference when they mature?

Let's start with the green terror.
    It has terror in its for a reason. these guys are know to get extremely aggressive(though the temperament varies with each fish). They should only be housed with other cichlids of similar size and temperament.
    They also grow to be about 12". It's best to keep these guys in a 55 gallon minimum for 1 and a 75 or bigger for a breeding pair. Now, im not gonna go on and on about these guys to much but i will post a picture of a mature one for reference.

Now on to the blue acara.
    These little beauties are now to be relatively non aggressive for cichlids(though breeding is a different story).
    They are not known to tear up plants and grow to be about 6" in size.
    They can be put in a community although i would only put them in with fish of the same size because the little fish big fish rule applies.

Here is a picture for reference!

Hopefully what little info i can provide will help out! Thanks!
    40 Gallon Breeder Planted: harlequin rasbora rummynose tetra corydoras cherry barbs

40 Gallon Breeder Reef: In progress!

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, I always enjoy write-ups like these, although I won't get these anytime in the near future. It's nice to know the difference and help people who are unaware.
    American League Champions! TIGERS!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    any time! just trying to help out!
    40 Gallon Breeder Planted: harlequin rasbora rummynose tetra corydoras cherry barbs

0 Not allowed!
    Personally, I have no experience keeping either fish.

Does Andinoacara rivulatus always have the orange\yellow edging on the tailfin? Or is that something that developes with maturity?
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i have never seen one without it. although its not as bright on females.

0 Not allowed!
    Well thanks. I learned something new today.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I love to read on all fish and learn about them, Thank You for the Knowledge you have shared with us.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    your welcome

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi there

I was hoping you could confirm to me that these both are in actual fact blue acara's.

I bought them both from a pet shop, out of the same tank which was also shared with Firemouths.

My problem is one seems to have become really colourful and the other after a few days still seems quite colourless.

Thanks

I also have a few other pics of them here.

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/deanyouk/

thanks

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm pretty sure Green Terror fish max out at 8 inches. Mine is not particularily aggressive towards fish his own size, but is one of the more aggressive eaters of the bunch I keep. Throw anything in the tank and he is on it.