· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Do shrimp need a heater?

0 Not allowed!
    I recently acquired a little tank from some hallmates and I was wondering, do shrimp need a heated tank? They tossed in a little filter which I was thankful for but I was planning on making it a plant heaven with moss everywhere and tons of Crypts.
    Empty 125g sitting in my shed
    55g Freshwater Tropical Community
    29g Convict Fry Growout Tank
    10g Freshwater Planted Tropical Community
    5g Freshwater Planted Dirt
    2.5g Ghost shrimp tank

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    intuitively i would say yes they do, less change in temp would be less stress on anything. thus if you keep the tank with a heater you can hope there is no temp swings. but it seems the shrimp arent too particular about their temp. not sure tho... again just what im thinking
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, shrimp are tropical and will require a heater. How big is your tank?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's a little 5.5g tank. I was asking because I've seen shrimp tanks with and without heaters. I knew they were tropical but I was unsure.
    2.5g Ghost shrimp tank

Awards Showcase

Great addition to AC - Lady Hobbs Perhaps a beer instead? - Lady Hobbs NICE TANK! - Lady Hobbs U know your awesome!!!!!! - jbeining75 Very nice rift tank! Very funny jokes! - NickFish 
    Refund lmao!!!!! - jbeining75 thanks for the support - jbeining75 Good luck with the JI!!!!!! - jbeining75 Right back at ya! - Hailey For help with my leopard geckos - jbeining75 
    to me - sailor Your second sets of stripes lol.... - jbeining75 to blow your nose lol..... - jbeining75 I won the lottery,thanks for the help couldn't have done it without you - kitten3326 Because I would buy you a beer if I could. - RainMan 
    For beating back the flu!!!!!!!!! - jbeining75 thanks for cheering me up xoxo - shalafi04 A Cricket and Strawberry slurpee just for you :) - shalafi04 gotta buy a beer for a sailor. LOL - ILuvMyGoldBarb knowledge + friendly = sailor! yar! - turkey151 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor Autism - sailor 

0 Not allowed!
    A lot of it depends on species of shrimp and how warm your house will keep the tank. I have an 8 gal tank I just started a week or so ago. The temp is staying a steady 76ish during the day and dropping to 74 at night. Depending on the species they can do well as low as 68. The Ideal temp for red cherry shrimp is 75
    Sailor

Aye Aye

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sailor
    A lot of it depends on species of shrimp and how warm your house will keep the tank. I have an 8 gal tank I just started a week or so ago. The temp is staying a steady 76ish during the day and dropping to 74 at night. Depending on the species they can do well as low as 68. The Ideal temp for red cherry shrimp is 75
    Very true. If your house is warm, you may not need a heater, but my major concern is that your tank is very small. The smaller the tank the more the temperature will change due to the environment.

0 Not allowed!
    I keep all my shrimp tanks at room temperature. I keep the apt around 74F which seems to be fine. If it gets too cold shrimp just won't be breeding as often or be that active.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll probably just grab a little heater and toss it in because it's slowly changing from winter to spring and my roommate likes to open the window so I think the temperature would fluctuate a lot, thanks for the advice guys!
    2.5g Ghost shrimp tank