· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Ropefish

Default Ropefish

0 Not allowed!
    Heya there. I picked up a ropefish about about 5 or 6 weeks ago. Neat fish but a very finicky eater. I tried the Hakari carvoivore pellets that the other fish eat, he wont touch em. So I tried freeze dried shrimp, shrimp pellets, flakes.... no go. The only thing i can get him to eat is frozen bloodworms. Obviously i need him to get on a diet with better nutrition than the bloodworms (plus, the other fish in the tank eat most of them, even after i feed them first). Any suggestions on something i can try that wont break the bank, but give him optimal nutrition? Ill add a couple photos:

Oh, yea, also for Christmas I got gift cards to Petsmart and my LFS where i buy my fish. I added another AC70 to the tank today (2XAC70, Magnum 350 canister, undergravel system with 3 powerheads) 125g tank. Should be ordering my 6 Congo Tetras sometime in the next week or so. the new filter is seeded and should be ready to go. cant wait.

0 Not allowed!
    When I had rope fish I found they were more of a shy eater. They would eat almost anything, but I had to carefully place the food were they liked to hid during the day. The only time they would leave there hiding spots for were the treats, like blood worms. I was feeding a Hakari pellet for bottom feeding fish, not the carivore one.

Mine used to like to spend the daylight hours in a cave I had for them. I had to place the pellets righ in the cave so they would eat them. I would feed the rest of my fish and while they were eating, I would place sinking pellets in the cave for them. It took a day or two, but the rope fish caught on to it and started eating.

Might be worth a try
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Try raw white shrimp,or scallops.

4. Default Answer

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 rope fish and i got them to eat small feeder rosies and small minnows out of the bait shop.i also seen them eat waxworm and a worm called super worm.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I dont have a ropefish but I do have a peacock eel that I have never to this day seen eat anything but 1/2 a earthworm once. I know he is eating as he is big and healthy, but never actually see it. I throw him in good quality shrimp pellets before bed and I know he is eating those. As long as he is healthy and moving around and acting normal for him, I wouldnt worry about it. I gave up worrying about the eel I have...

Google is your friend. Use it!!!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Have had my rope fish for 2 yrs now. At first he ate ghost shrimp, and frozen bloodworms. Gradually he adapted to shrimp pellets, but still gets bloodworms reg., and he isn't shy about coming out when they are served. Oh, I also have a small school of guppys in there for him to eat the babies. He;s one of my favorite fish.

0 Not allowed!
    I got 2 baby albino rope fish 3 weeks ago, they are awsome! they only eat ox heart mince just like my big rope fish though... they are very picky

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had 2 ropefish years ago.... They were in a community tank so i hand fed them.

I didnt find them to be picky eaters, They ate anything meaty and most pellets..

I mainly fed mine some homemade food containing garlic, shrimp, cod and peas... Both grew to about 17" before i sold em.
    20gal- Honey gourami's, Endlers, otto's and minnows.
    22gal- 2 Honey gourami's, Bichir senegalus, apisto hongsloi
    33gal- (future home to Bichir senegalus)

0 Not allowed!
    This thread is over a year old. I'm sure the OP got the answer they were looking for
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]