· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Iridiscent Shark?

0 Not allowed!
    I have seen some youtube videos of people's freshwater tanks that have sharks in them and they call them "Iridescent sharks". They're beautiful, but I couldn't find any information about them in the species information here on the site.

Does anyone know what fish I'm talking about? Is it actually an appropriate fish to be kept in a home aquarium? I'd love to have one someday, but I don't know if this is just another example of a fish being kept in a tank when it shouldn't.

Thanks!

~Manna

0 Not allowed!
    From the quick reading on Wikipedia and seriously fish I just did, I would say no, it says they can get 3 feet, are schooling, and need a lot of room. Seriously Fish's website said a minimum of 15 feet, even more is needed for a school! Few people have tanks that size.
    Last edited by MLBfan; 02-28-2012 at 09:16 PM.
    American League Champions! TIGERS!

0 Not allowed!
    Get them ONLY if you are going to get a much Much MUCH larger tank.

'Nuff said.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Get them ONLY if you are going to get a much Much MUCH larger tank.
    'Nuff said.
    Well...good to know. As much as I would like to get into aquarium keeping as a hobby, I know I'll never have a tank that big.

I tend to like all the sharks I see. Particularly Bala Sharks and Red Tail/Rainbow Sharks. Are there any sharks that won't outgrow a 30 gallon tank? That's the size I am currently planning to get.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Red tailed black sharks grow to around 12cm, one of them could be an option?
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    Balas get far far to big. The red-tails & rainbows get to six inches or so but their temperament does not make them good tank mates for other stock suitable for your size tank.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to 850R they can be very grumpy and aggressive.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A red tail shark could work ok, I'd try it. As for the irridescent shark, when I was just starting out several years ago, the LFS sold me an irridescent shark for my 16g tank... lol. It grew to about 5in long from its original 2 or 3 inches. Then I researched online and within the week sold it back to the LFS. These should not even be sold in fish stores.

0 Not allowed!
    I would put no shark in a 30 gallon including the red tail. They can get aggressive, as well, and also go after other smaller fish in the tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Too bad. I can't believe they sell these sharks so haphazardly to unknowing customers. I know it's your responsibility to research the pet you are getting before you get it, but there is a 50/50 share of responsibility between the purchaser and the seller.

Anyway, I'm sad to find out about the nature of the red tail and rainbow sharks. That would be the first fish I would want to get if I got a big tank like a 55 gallon, but it sounds like it would severely limit my options of what other fish I could have. : (
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress