· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default yellow spots on leather coral

0 Not allowed!
    hey guys,

i came home last night and noticed that i see one area on my leather that had a yellow spot like a powder substance, with a slight gray area around this spot. could the coral be shedding its skin? alson it does fell slimey all over. i have moved it to a high flow area. what could this be ? a diease? would coral dip help ?
    10G Algae tank-The Nano was moved to the 55G
    55G Reef-
    55G FOWLR-soon
    55G Coral only-soon
    150G-reef/ fowlr? Soon
    75G predator tanksoon

DIY live rock

0 Not allowed!
    That doesn't sound like normal shedding to me. When my long tentical toadstool leather sheds it's skin it gets what looks like a waxy film on it for a few days and then it's gone

I does sound a little like alleopathy (spelling?) which is casused when one coral stings another.

If you have other corals near it, I would suggest looking into that as a possible cause
    Last edited by Cliff; 02-26-2012 at 02:40 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    okay im glad i moved it but the only things near it were tiny fragments of palythoa's and a trumpet coral frag(2 heads) and acans that are in the lower corner aroun 8 inches away. all my agressive corals are on the other side of tank. im goonna throw him into my quarentine with fresh tank water to see if it will get better in their.
    55G Reef-
    55G FOWLR-soon
    55G Coral only-soon
    150G-reef/ fowlr? Soon
    75G predator tanksoon

DIY live rock

0 Not allowed!
    I would run some carbom for a while (a week or so) just in case there are some defensive coral toxins in the water.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    it could be the high nitrates as well, stressing the coral to the point of necrosis.

When corals aren't doing well, IME, its because the water is not meeting the requirements. I've just done a huge adjustment to my tank in order to improve coral health, most of it water balancing.
    20gal long planted community

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well my nitrates did reach 20ppm a couple days ago with a mad algae outbreak, since then i have done 3 water changes of 10% each. thanks for the advcie guys.
    55G Reef-
    55G FOWLR-soon
    55G Coral only-soon
    150G-reef/ fowlr? Soon
    75G predator tanksoon

DIY live rock

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    could chloramines cause this also ?
    55G Reef-
    55G FOWLR-soon
    55G Coral only-soon
    150G-reef/ fowlr? Soon
    75G predator tanksoon

DIY live rock

0 Not allowed!
    if it was something like chloramines I think you'd see it effecting other corals as well... like Cliff and sheamuria have suggested run carbon to get any possible toxins out and then try and maintain your water better... you trate spike could have stressed some corals causing them to release toxins which effect some corals more so than others
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown