· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default My Angel Fish don't eat well

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 very nice Angel fish (2 left from 6 original). Although they behave normally, they are very lazy eaters. I thought Angels were voracious eaters. Even my small Rasboras and tetras annoy them at feeding time and the Angels tend to sulk off to a corner. I add some freeze dried shrimp which they at least show some interest in. They nibble and peck at it in a very lazy way. Any thoughts on this behavior?

Question

0 Not allowed!
    Not eating can be a sign of stress but more info is needed.

Please post more details including Their [body] size, tank size, How long it's been cycled and running, Filtration running on the tank, #/types of other stock and any other relevant details you can think to add IE: How long they have been in the tank, Are they a spawning pair [What happened to the other 6] etc.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Nothing is wrong with them. They don't eat like hogs like platies, tetra's and rainbowfish. They are happy to see food but eat like they swim.....slowly and calmly.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 02-17-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    When I had angels they loved flake for some reason and would often turn their nose up at bloodworms and tubifex, but brine shrimp was a different matter, they loved it.

Angels have their own behaviours and attitudes, aslong as they eat something then im sure they should be ok. But can you to reply to what 850R sai as their might be an actual reason for this if something in your set up is wrong.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry if this is a really bad suggestion, I don't know too much and I will admit I've never owned one but:

When I volunteered at my LFS for work experience we occasionally got in copper banded butterfly fish and they downright refused to eat anything at all so I used to go out of my way to make up a recipe I had heard of consisting of a garlic supliment and fish food (I used flake at the time) and they loved it, never missed out.

They are marine fish and not the same species obviously so I have no idea if the garlic trick would work but if you get desperate you could try?

P.S sorry if I'm horribly wrong!

0 Not allowed!
    Mine also prefer floating flakes or pellets. He isn't much for forging on the bottom of the tank.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    when I got my 6 yr old angel fish he refused to eat and I called the person i got him from and they asked if I showed him the bright red package first and I said no,, well when I tried that he went right to the top and waited for the food to be dropped in,, hes quite a character.
    I have a full zoo of animals from snakes to rodents and dog and a bunch of fish,, too many to list.